Frontcrawl of Breaststroke?

Hello Guys,

I have started my diet approximately 2 weeks ago and have been swimming 4-6 times a week, 1,500 meters a day (45 Minutes to an Hour), alternating between frontcrawl and breaststroke.

I'm trying to decide which burns more calories + shapes my body better between the two styles of swimming? As this is the only means of excercise i'm doing next to Yoga once a week.

Appreciate any help!

Replies

• Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    To be honest I don't think it makes that much difference. I alternate two lengths of each and go about the same speed. I suppose if there's one you feel takes more effort then that would probably burn more calories.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    I think front crawl would burn more than breaststroke, but I'm not sure. I can only swim breaststroke; I haven't got my breathing coordinated for front crawl and then my legs go into cramp from kicks so all in all much safer and easier for me to stick to breaststroke.

I wish I could get a more accurate "burn" than MFP's values. I've looked online and there is so much discrepancy between various sites and forums and I'm hopeless at taking my own pulse.

As for shaping your body - I think it would take an AWFUL LOT of swimming to really do that. You really need to do some core strength training as well as swim to build definition. I'm such a lazy git when it comes to working out in the gym and will always default to the pool instead. But I'm more worried about keeping fit, burning a few calories and enjoying myself rather than getting the body of my dreams.

Maybe once I reach my ultimate goal, I might think things differently :happy:
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 160 Member
    I think freestyle burns more calories but breaststroke is better for shaping your thigh muscles...just my opinion :D
  • magdaleneg
    magdaleneg Posts: 8 Member
    Assuming that you're putting in the same amount of energy into both strokes, you're actually burning more calories doing breast stroke. The reason why is because it's less natural for your body to do those movements than it is to do freestyle. Though it may not feel like that because there is a more consistent and easier breathing pattern with breast stroke than there is with freestyle. Hope this helps!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    i think front crawl, but breast stroke is better for the different muscles, DO BOTH!
  • skinnylove912
    skinnylove912 Posts: 19 Member
    Front crawl burns more but breaststroke works different muscles, therefore helps to increase your burn rate when many different muscle groups are being worked
  • Thanks alot guys!

I will continue to combine both and see what happens in a month, and then decide to shake up my pattern so that my body does not get used to the same routine.