Muscle water retention- HELP!!! (week 3)

Options
gerla_k
gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
Hi, Can you please share how the program worked for you in the beginning. Because it's week 3 and I keep gaining weight (3-4 lbs) . I know that i'm not supposed to weigh myself everyday, but I just can't help it :tongue: I keep losing and gaining the same 4 lbs every couple of days.

I read lot of posts in this forum and a lot of you say that you might gain or not lose weight in the beginning because your muscles hold on water to repair themselves. Is this why i'm not losing at all ? I lost 4 inches overall (neck, bust, abdomen, thigh) but not losing weight.
Is this happened to you guys, please share:sad:

Replies

• theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    patience grasshopper! i know you say that weighing less is important to you, but changing your body should be important too. i know everyone says you can't gain muscle on a deficit, but then i wonder how do programs like this cause strength and definition. is it simply by removing fat that is on top of the muscles? i am definitely stronger since beginning this program and i have lost body fat. i followed the meal plan for one month, wasn't a happy camper, and now i eat at least a net caloric intake of my bmr + 10% every day. what is your water intake like? sodium intake? are you following the meal plan? i know some have had success getting past the lose 2, gain 2 by increasing their calories...
  • gerla_k
    Options
    when it comes to weight loss i don't have patience :)) I want lose weight right away lol i know it's not possible .

i'm following her meal plan, and trying to stay at my net caloric intake. Regarding the water consumption, i'm bad- I drink maybe 2-3 glasses of water a day, so I have to make sure to at least drink 8 glasses of water and maybe to eat a little bit more, because I'm angry all the time cuz I want to eat :))):bigsmile:
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Take measurements! I see bigger changes in inches than in pounds.
  • gerla_k
    Options
    Take measurements! I see bigger changes in inches than in pounds.

I'm actually seeing results in inches, but i just don't understand how come i'm still not loosing in lbs. Oh well , I hope in couple of weeks maybe as my body will get used to the exercises and all that.
  • theredcliche
    Options
    when i feel hungry, i try to drink water and see if i'm just thirsty. i drink around 16 glasses of water a day and maybe one can of diet dr pepper... up your water intake and see if anything changes!
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Would you rather weigh 10 pounds less and be the same size as you are now OR weigh the same and be down a jean size? That's what I try and think about when I don't see big changes on my scale. Stick with it!
  • gerla_k
    Options
    Would you rather weigh 10 pounds less and be the same size as you are now OR weigh the same and be down a jean size? That's what I try and think about when I don't see big changes on my scale. Stick with it!

I'd rather be down a jean size :)))) I just thought maybe I'm doing something wrong
  • gerla_k
    Options
    when i feel hungry, i try to drink water and see if i'm just thirsty. i drink around 16 glasses of water a day and maybe one can of diet dr pepper... up your water intake and see if anything changes!

16 glasses - WOW that's impressive- I already drank like 4 glasses I can't look at my water filter anymore :ohwell: But thanks for the advice I'll try to drink more water see if that will help
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3 too and I gained... I'm also hoping it'll go back down soon. I know I can't possibly have gained 3/4 pounds eating well and exercising like I have been. So I can only assume I'm retaining water or building some muscles. I've lost about an inch from all my problem areas so far, so I'm getting smaller, at any rate, and ultimately that's what I want more than some arbitrary number on a scale. Eyes on the prize, it's only going to get harder from here. We're probably actually losing, we just have to wait it out.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 4 currently; I finish Phase 1 on Sunday. I started the program with about 85-90 lbs to lose. I ate terribly up until the day I started. In my first 2 weeks, I lost 12.5 lbs. Last week...I lost nothing. I know the lack of weight change was caused by the increase in workout. I could tell from my body that my muscles felt "heavy". I am hoping for a loss this week, but if not, I can continue with the program, motivated by the fact that I'm getting smaller, that I'm getting stronger and I'm doing what I should be doing. I'm currently 235 lbs and I follow the program as outlined, with a few extra workouts a week (cardio, yoga). I average about 1500 calories a day (Sundays, I'm closer to 1800-2000). For my size, eating that amount and with my workouts, it's mathematically impossible not to lose weight. So, I will continue to trust the process and forge ahead.
  • gerla_k
    Options
    I'm in week 3 too and I gained... I'm also hoping it'll go back down soon. I know I can't possibly have gained 3/4 pounds eating well and exercising like I have been. So I can only assume I'm retaining water or building some muscles. I've lost about an inch from all my problem areas so far, so I'm getting smaller, at any rate, and ultimately that's what I want more than some arbitrary number on a scale. Eyes on the prize, it's only going to get harder from here. We're probably actually losing, we just have to wait it out.
    Omg, just like me- I gained 3 or 4 lbs, and lost couple of inches. Exactly my point, I've been working out for 3 weeks now, and gained weight. Must be water retention for sure
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I have gained and lost the same 2 pounds since beginning this program! BUT I have lost almost 6 inches from all over my body (hips, waist, legs, arms, chest). I feel stronger and leaner...and I've been able to fit back into a pair of pants I couldn't even get over my butt for months!

Water retention in your muscles is a good thing...it means your muscles are growing!

I know it's a bummer not to see a shift on the scale but if you're eating right, drinking enough water and working out hard, it'll all catch up in the end!!
  • gerla_k
    Options
    I have gained and lost the same 2 pounds since beginning this program! BUT I have lost almost 6 inches from all over my body (hips, waist, legs, arms, chest). I feel stronger and leaner...and I've been able to fit back into a pair of pants I couldn't even get over my butt for months!

Water retention in your muscles is a good thing...it means your muscles are growing!

I know it's a bummer not to see a shift on the scale but if you're eating right, drinking enough water and working out hard, it'll all catch up in the end!!

I lost couple of inches as well, but I so want to see that number move down :))) It got to the point where I'll weigh myself every morning now , i know it's crazy :)))

I was just wondering do I really need to drink 8 glasses of water in order to lose weight ? I drink around 4 or 5
  • theredcliche
    Options
    i suggest only weighing yourself once a week. i know it's hard, i used to be a scale junkie too, but it is so discouraging. hide your scale and only bring it out one day a week. also, water is critical to weight loss in my opinion - a lot of times we are thirsty but think we are hungry...
  • gerla_k
    Options
    i suggest only weighing yourself once a week. i know it's hard, i used to be a scale junkie too, but it is so discouraging. hide your scale and only bring it out one day a week. also, water is critical to weight loss in my opinion - a lot of times we are thirsty but think we are hungry...

thanks for your advice- I 'll try not to weigh myself until Monday :cry:
  • LaVinci
    LaVinci Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just completed week 3 and we weighed ourselves today. He lost 8 pounds so far and I gained 2...ugh!! It is so frustrating!! We both have worked so hard, it is hard to see his weight drop and mine rise. I am trying to be patient. I won't give up!!
  • jmmscccslp
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I just finished phase 1 and I am down 4 pounds which I lost week 1. I have lost 14 inches which I'm so happy about but I am with you- I REALLY WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE CHANGE! Just a pound or two would do! I know if we both hang in there we will see it eventually! Good luck to you!
  • gerla_k
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I just finished phase 1 and I am down 4 pounds which I lost week 1. I have lost 14 inches which I'm so happy about but I am with you- I REALLY WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE CHANGE! Just a pound or two would do! I know if we both hang in there we will see it eventually! Good luck to you!

yeah, I know that I'm eating right, very strict diet, drinking my water , and exercising daily. And also i have this stupid habit to weigh myself every morning, because every morning I'm like "today i'm feeling lucky " haha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And still nothing. I think I will be more motivated if I see that number go down you know :))
  • pmcjt
    pmcjt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories. I was eating 1200 and now I am eating 1200 plus most of what I burn working out. I feel a lot better with enough energy to make it through the day. Stepped on the scale after 3 days of doing this and I'm down 2 pounds. I think if you get stuck, you can try different things to see if a little tweaking is in order. I'm not sure if I will continue this route or drop back to only 1200. That depends on what the scale says. :wink:
  • ChristinaWgettingfit
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I just started week 7 today. Basically throughout the 6 weeks I've only lost a total of 2lbs (I started at 117 and I'm back to 115). I was down to 113.5 and now I'm back up 1.5lbs this week. While the scale is not currently my friend I have lost about 18inches total. I'm getting stronger and my endurance is building and people are starting to notice changes in my body. Just the other day my boyfriend mentioned that my back was starting to have the v-taper that Jillian loves so much (you know, the one that creates the illusion of a smaller waist), and I was excited. I'm just slightly discouraged from the lack of weight loss. I don't want the illusion of a smaller waist, I actually want one!
    Just gotta tough it out and hope that I'll see some better results when I weigh-in this Sunday.