Sodium levels in restaurant food

Options
Nektariosmom
Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
I have a problem with water retention and it seems like anytime I eat out the sodium levels are out of this world when I go back to enter it on my food log. Can anyone help me choose better choices? Suggestions? When I go over my sodium allowance I wake up bloated.

Replies

• KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and take a diuretic for it as it effects my blood pressure. Last weekend I didn't take it a couple days, and ballooned up 12 pounds! It has taken me a week to get back to normal. The only thing I can really recommend is to be mindful of what you're eating. I try to stay away from the biggest offenders. When you're going out, do a quick search of what you'll be having on their menu - check out the sodium. The daily recommendation is 2000mg. If you go over, drink more water :) As a rule of thumb, anything processed and canned or prepared with broth will pack the biggest punch. Go for the whole foods. Good luck, restaurants are sneaky with the salt shaker!
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Stay away from SOUP or anything with a sauce. Butter has quite a bit of sodium so if I am ordering veggies I ask for butter on the side so I can control portions. If you are ordering something grilled (meat/fish) ask that the seasoning be reduced - places like Outback for example will COAT their meat in a spice rub that is very high in salt.

If all else fails and you end up with a high sodium intake..drink a TON of water to help flush it out. :drinker:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I went shopping with friends yesterday and wasn't in charge of where we stopped to eat. A friend picked Wendy's so that's where we went (I personally would never eat fast food if I had a choice). I got their "Ultimate Chicken Grill" (which btw, isn't so ultimate) without mayo. Used Yellow Mustard instead. Just for the sandwich was 1,030g Sodium. What do they do with the chicken, inject it with salt? LOL
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When I know I'm going to go out an eat I up my water intake by a few cups. Too much sodium is in everything...even in the lo-cal foods served at restaurants. There is no way to get away from it except not eating out. But why deprive yourself. Up your water. Be a little bloated. In a few days it will all wash away.
  • Nektariosmom
    Options
    Thanks for the good ideas! I will drink more water for sure, stay away from sauces and soups. It is true, every time I eat anything outside of homemade my sodium count flies through the roof. I think it is sad that they do this to our food! Then we wonder why we all have so many medical problems...
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I went shopping with friends yesterday and wasn't in charge of where we stopped to eat. A friend picked Wendy's so that's where we went (I personally would never eat fast food if I had a choice). I got their "Ultimate Chicken Grill" (which btw, isn't so ultimate) without mayo. Used Yellow Mustard instead. Just for the sandwich was 1,030g Sodium. What do they do with the chicken, inject it with salt? LOL

Yes, they do usually inject the chicken with salt water or "Solution" as many processors call it. They can sell it for "cheaper" (per pound) so you think you're getting a good deal but you end up getting a LOT less when it finally cooks down. and I don't imagine fast food chicken is much different. search for say no to plumping for more info.
  • Nektariosmom
    Options
    Oh thats gross! I did not know this. How terrible. Salt water...