HELP!! Just got my labs back

Options
Ok..I've been hypo for quite awhile now..lately I have been feeling horrible in EVERY way. I am currently taking .88 synthroid..Fianally got in to see my doc and just got labs back and need some input (doc still checking into my thyroid labs)

vitamin D: Very low..doc recommend to start supplement

Now thyroid tests:
Thyroxine total (t4) : High 12.6 (range: 4.5-11.0)
T3 uptake : Normal 34.2 (23-39)
FTI: High 4.31 (1.1-4.3)
Thyroxine free: normal 1.4 (.8-1.5)
TSH: Normal 1.71 (.4-5.5)
RT3; Very high 53 (11-32)

All other test I had done were normal.. Want some input to compare with what my doc comes up with..Thank you!!

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well -- I don't really understand how your T4 could be high when your TSH is normal... that doesn't make sense to me -- but something is definitely not right.

I had very low Vitamin D and am now taking 10,000 mg per day - 70,000 per week. Make sure it is D3.

Reverse T3 is bad -- I had it earlier this year and will try to explain to you what it is -- I'm happy your doc tested for it!!!
    Say we were in ancient times, and a lion was chasing you -- you climb a tree to get away from the lion. But he hangs around for several days hoping you will fall out of the tree so he can eat you! Your body will put out Reverse T3 - which is a "blank" T3 -- and it will plug up your T3 receptors in your cells so that you don't burn any calories. By RT3 was 143 back in January!! I couldn't figure out how I could diet and exercise and not lose any weight -- it's because the RT3 plugged up my cells and slowed my metabolism to a crawl!!

How to get rid of RT3 -- it is typically caused by stress, or by intense exercise without sufficient calories and rest. So, my doctor had me meditate - that's right meditate. He gave me GABA - which is a natural stress reducer. He also put me on a very low dose of Armour Thyroid -- this starved my body of T4 and flushed out the Reverse T3. It took about 3 months to get rid of it all.
    My TSH while this was going on was 20.71 -- I was very hypo and very sick for a few weeks.

At the time I was diagnosed with RT3, I was also on .88 synthroid. I stopped taking it and went cold turkey to Armour. Had about 8 weeks of not feeling very good, but now I am great -- I am taking 90 mcg of Armour. Started out on 30 mcg - went up to 60 then 90.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    Reverse T3 is bad -- I had it earlier this year and will try to explain to you what it is -- I'm happy your doc tested for it!!!
    Say we were in ancient times, and a lion was chasing you -- you climb a tree to get away from the lion. But he hangs around for several days hoping you will fall out of the tree so he can eat you! Your body will put out Reverse T3 - which is a "blank" T3 -- and it will plug up your T3 receptors in your cells so that you don't burn any calories. By RT3 was 143 back in January!! I couldn't figure out how I could diet and exercise and not lose any weight -- it's because the RT3 plugged up my cells and slowed my metabolism to a crawl!!

How to get rid of RT3 -- it is typically caused by stress, or by intense exercise without sufficient calories and rest. So, my doctor had me meditate - that's right meditate. He gave me GABA - which is a natural stress reducer. He also put me on a very low dose of Armour Thyroid -- this starved my body of T4 and flushed out the Reverse T3. It took about 3 months to get rid of it all.
    My TSH while this was going on was 20.71 -- I was very hypo and very sick for a few weeks.

Holy smokes! I haven't heard of this before. That's super crazy, but makes sense. I'm curious to go back and check my prior labs from when I got really sick - was totally stressed, and my TSH shot up even medicated - I wonder what my RT3 was at that time with all the stress and what not....
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Most of the time, they don't even check it!! So, people who eat really well and exercise intensely can't figure out why they can't lose weight!! All our cells have T3 receptors -- but the Reverse T3 plugs them up so that we can't use the T3 that's floating free.

It's crazy!! I've heard of people having very, very high levels - and the treatment then is to go to T3 only - get off of T4 until the RT3 drains down. I didn't have to do that - I just was on a low dose of Armour - I did go pretty hypo, but got rid of the Rt3. Now I can lose weight!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump to absorb info later. Have to leave now.:flowerforyou:
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hope these results all help you find a remedy!
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I swear that Vitamin D deficiency must be a hypothyroid thing! Everyone I know with it has a deficiency, including me! I am willing to bet there's a connection that scientists haven't figured out yet ( or maybe they have, and I'm not aware of it).
  • hope2webb
    hope2webb Posts: 421
    Options
    Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well -- I don't really understand how your T4 could be high when your TSH is normal... that doesn't make sense to me -- but something is definitely not right.

I had very low Vitamin D and am now taking 10,000 mg per day - 70,000 per week. Make sure it is D3.

At the time I was diagnosed with RT3, I was also on .88 synthroid. I stopped taking it and went cold turkey to Armour. Had about 8 weeks of not feeling very good, but now I am great -- I am taking 90 mcg of Armour. Started out on 30 mcg - went up to 60 then 90.

Thanks for the response...yea my doc is a bit perplexed about the whole thing....WOW! 143 for RT3? That is high! I went to my appointment "telling" my dr. what tests I wanted ran! Thank goodness I have a doc that listens! And that makes sense with the stress issue...I had been under alot of stress when my husband started his new job (still working on that). But since my appt..(not proud to say and I know I shouldn't do this) but I haven't really been taking my synthroid and I actually feel good today..so maybe doing that has been "flushing" my RT3? I asked about Armour and doc told me he had a few people that didn't do very well on it..maybe I should push some more for the Armour (had told him before labs were done I wasn't apposed to taking cytomel if needed) See, and I have even been able to lose a few pounds thru all of this too..very confusing!

And Thanks for the info on the vitamin D...the nurse told me 50,000 per week but never specified the D3...I will be getting some of that!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Yeah, if you skip your synthroid, might drive up your TSH a little, but will get rid of the RT3. You eat really healthy so I'm thinking it's probably the stress.

Doctors are afraid of Armour -- but I don't really understand why. you have to start low and ramp up every two weeks -- it can be a bumpy transition, but amazing once you get through it. I'm sure there's plenty of info about transitioning on stopthethyroidmadness.com.
  • geezalawheez
    geezalawheez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just because some of his patients didn't do well on Armour doesn't mean you won't. I was on Levothyroxine for about 9 months and just about went crazy (literally...I had horrible mood swings, was super irritable and generally not a fun person to be around). As soon as I switched to Armour I began to feel normal again. It's been 2 months and I feel amazing. On the other hand, my dad tried Armour at one point but didn't react well to it. He has been on Levothyroxine for 15 years. Everyone is different. If your labs are improving but still not ideal and you're still having symptoms, you may push for another medication. I don't have any experience with Cytomel but that's synthetic T3, correct? If he's comfortable prescribing that I'd try it out. I think a lot of people have problems converting the T4 so often times Synthroid by itself isn't effective enough.

Good luck to you! Figuring out labs and getting the right type and dosage of meds can be so frustrating! I've been diagnosed Hashi's Hypo for a year now and I just had my Armour bumped up again this week. It does get better though, I promise!
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    I swear that Vitamin D deficiency must be a hypothyroid thing! Everyone I know with it has a deficiency, including me! I am willing to bet there's a connection that scientists haven't figured out yet ( or maybe they have, and I'm not aware of it).

I AGREE!..I am SO deficient I have to get shots!..I have hypothyroid!
  • hope2webb
    hope2webb Posts: 421
    Options
    Ok..I've been hypo for quite awhile now..lately I have been feeling horrible in EVERY way. I am currently taking .88 synthroid..Fianally got in to see my doc and just got labs back and need some input (doc still checking into my thyroid labs)

vitamin D: Very low..doc recommend to start supplement

Now thyroid tests:
    Thyroxine total (t4) : High 12.6 (range: 4.5-11.0)
    T3 uptake : Normal 34.2 (23-39)
    FTI: High 4.31 (1.1-4.3)
    Thyroxine free: normal 1.4 (.8-1.5)
    TSH: Normal 1.71 (.4-5.5)
    RT3; Very high 53 (11-32)

All other test I had done were normal.. Want some input to compare with what my doc comes up with..Thank you!!

I just finally received notice from my dr....

.."All results are in the expected range for current known conditions. Will continue with routine follow up as discussed at previous visit. The reverse T3 is elevated but addressing this is controversial and with other numbers stable it is not likely to be contributing to any ongoing problems"

WTF!