Diet plan?

Options
HeidiHoMom
HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
I got my book yesterday and was wondering how many of you are following the diet plan? Are you following it strictly or just using parts? I changed my macros to 40/30/30 and I feel the is a big change for me so I can't jump to adding even more protein than that right now.

Also, are you all drinking the after workout shake? I have never tried a protein shake that I liked, granted it's been a few years since I tried one but I couldn't finish it last time. I was gagging.

What are your favourite brands, any that you can't actually taste the whey?

Replies

• Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I loosely follow the eating plan. I used his formula for figuring out my calories, and I have my macros set at 40/30/30.

I do drink the protein. I use a vegan powder because I can't digest whey. I can drink dairy though. (weird, I know). I put some powder in milk, add some instant coffee, and a little chocolate (I use Hershey light. There are obviously cleaner options for adding chocolate flavor, but it works for me. For now.). It taste like a mocha frappuccino. Sort of. ;-) I have drank enough of it that I like it now. I didn't at first, but I just keep chugging them back.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after every workout. I use Body Fortress (vanilla or strawberry). The strawberry one can be a little on the sweet side if mixed with milk, but it's not bad mixed with water. If you can handle GNC prices, you can buy protein powders there and, if it's not to your liking, you can return the unused portion for a full refund. It gives you the opportunity to find something you like. :smile:
  • newmari12
    newmari12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just started the program this Monday and when I did my calculations on what my calorie intake needed to be for my non-workout and workout days I was quite surprised because a) its a lot of food and b) I wasn't sure if I could meet the protein requirement. Trust me though you are going to need the fuel to get you through these workouts. I've been going to the gym for the past two-three years about 6xweek and this is the first time in a long time that I've felt my body work (like really work).

Everyone is different and everyone has there own comfort levels so start where you feel best. You can take a look at my diary if you want to see what I've been eating over the past few days. I don't claim to be an expert but as a fellow newbie to this thing I think we need to all help each other out.

As for the workout shakes, yes, you absolutley need them after doing the workouts! I used to be like you and gag at the very thought of protein powders but honestly you can add everything from peanut butter, to cocoa powder to frozen fruit and even spinach! I won't lie I've had some hits and misses but overall I've really enjoyed experimenting with what to put in my shake.

As for protein powders, I'm in the same boat as you. I am using LeanFit (I have a little left over that I don't want to waste in my pantry) but I would really like to find something different. Anyone have any suggestions for HeidiHoMom and I?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm a low-carber. I do not lose weight when I eat pastas, rice, and I overeat when I add breads and desserts to my diet-I'm addicted to carbs, especially that crappy ones. I like simple whole foods, meats, and loads of veggies, both raw and steamed.

Are there any low-carbers here? I want to see if there are low-carbers doing this workout plan who don't follow the proscribed diet. How did you adapt it to meet your needs? Or did you bite the bullet so to speak and just follow the diet as written?
  • ekirk92
    ekirk92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a low -carber, too. I follow Tony Horton's p90x fat loss diet (mainly because I have Celiac disease, and on top of that I can't digest any form of carb really well; and I am dairy intolerant). I eat roughly around one serving on carbs a day (which for others would count as 2). 2 fruits, 3 dairy, 9 servings of protein, 2 fats, and lots of H2O. In addition, I do supplements post-workout.

I never eat less than 2 hrs before a workout because I have severe hernia issues that prohibit me from doing so; and I basically follow the p90x plan...mixing up the workouts here-and-there to suit my energy level for the day, as well as whether I need a bigger challenge. I find I work better and longer without all the carbs slowing me down.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm not following the diet plan, but am following the calories and the 40/30/30 macro plan. I usually drink a shake before my workout and some milk afterward.

My fave shake recipe of the moment is:

A cup of ice
    A cup of water
    half an avocado (makes it creamy and adds some fat)
    1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    a crystal light lemonade packet
    a handful of raw spinach

On lifting days, I've been adding half a banana as well.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    not me. a lot of their stuff has gluten in it and i'm allergic and some of the other crabs they recommend i hate
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Not really, I use it more as a guideline. I have to say though I'm so very glad that I'm not the only one who adds chocolate syrup to their protien drink. I am allergic to some sugar subs and I won't allow any sugar subs in my or our sons diet so it was a PITA to find a protein drink but I did fing a vegeterian option finally. I like it, not as many protiens as the other options but it works.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just started the program this Monday and when I did my calculations on what my calorie intake needed to be for my non-workout and workout days I was quite surprised because a) its a lot of food and b) I wasn't sure if I could meet the protein requirement. Trust me though you are going to need the fuel to get you through these workouts. I've been going to the gym for the past two-three years about 6xweek and this is the first time in a long time that I've felt my body work (like really work).

Everyone is different and everyone has there own comfort levels so start where you feel best. You can take a look at my diary if you want to see what I've been eating over the past few days. I don't claim to be an expert but as a fellow newbie to this thing I think we need to all help each other out.

As for the workout shakes, yes, you absolutley need them after doing the workouts! I used to be like you and gag at the very thought of protein powders but honestly you can add everything from peanut butter, to cocoa powder to frozen fruit and even spinach! I won't lie I've had some hits and misses but overall I've really enjoyed experimenting with what to put in my shake.

As for protein powders, I'm in the same boat as you. I am using LeanFit (I have a little left over that I don't want to waste in my pantry) but I would really like to find something different. Anyone have any suggestions for HeidiHoMom and I?

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein-Isolate-100%/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335193854&sr=8-1

This is thw protein powder I use-- It is natural, unflavored and mixes in everything, this is the 5 lb tub but you can get it in a 1lb tub as well
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I follow the diet plan, kinda, I don't use any of their recipes because I am a way better cook than them (hehe), but I used their formula to calculate my calories and I keep my macronutrients at 40-30-30. Problem is that I can't seem to get enough protein. I use BSN Syntha-6 Protein Powder (on amazon), the chocolate mint flavor is great and I just mix it with milk, it dissolves well. I've mixed it with coffee and it's not so great, but it's still edible. I think it's technically a meal-replacement drink, meaning it's got carbs and fats too, so I've been thinking I need to get a plain protein powder and start using that, too. But the BSN feels really good after a workout and you don't need to get the blender dirty-- just a spoon and a cup.