Day 1. Discouraged already! Feedback please.

Options
HappilyLifts
HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
Well, I didn't feel like I knew what I was doing but I decided to Just Do It! I can honestly say I have never felt so frustrated!
Workout A
A Squats:
The squats are ok. I can do them without weights pretty well. I only have dumbells at home and wasn't sure how to hold them. I tried one set holding them on my shoulders to mimic a barbells but it didn't feel stable, and one set holding them at my sides. 8lb weights. How do you think I should hold them?
I managed both sets.

What do you do in your 60 sec rest period? To begin with I just stood and side tapped my legs, but half way through the workout I ended up sitting on the sofa or exercise ball!

B1 Push ups:
Until now I have only managed 8 on my knees (it's taken me 2 months to get those 8!). I tried pull push ups on my toes but could only manage 3, and even then I was only moving my elbows a fraction, nowhere near a full push up. I swapped to push ups on my knees for the rest of that set and managed 6.
In set 2 I managed 10 on my knees.
What would your advice be for the push ups...continue on my knees and focus on getting as many as I can with good form, building up to 15?

B2 Seated row.
I had to do a upright row with the same weight dumbells as earlier. Does it matter if I point my knuckles forward or turn my hands so that my thumbs face forwards (which was more comfortable for my neck). I achieved all 15 on both sets. Phew!

C1 Step ups
My step is just under 5 inches tall so I had to bend both knees so that the non-working leg didn't keep hitting the floor. Managed 15 in Set a and 12 in Set 2. However, I forgot to alternate with C2!

C2 Prone jacknife.
Trying to get onto that ball was sooo frustrating! I think it took most of my energy just to get balanced on it! I managed 6 in Set 1 and only 4 in Set 2. Dreadful! But then I'm 205lbs of fat with not alot of upper body strength!

I had my HRM on and it registered an average of 131 and a maximum of 153 yet I'd rather do my cardio/strength moves at the gym where my max heart rate gets to 183 (and feels easier!)

I will keep trying, I can't expect to do complete sets to begin with can I?

Replies

• lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi!

firstly, great job for doing it!

Squats, get comfy with bodyweight squats and then add in the dumbells. In my rest period I write in my weight, set up the next exercise (I have adjustable dumbells and you would not believe how long it takes to screw the weights on and off lol)

Pushups - I can only do 5 in a row on my toes so I do 5, rest for 10 seconds another 5, rest for 10 seconds, another 5. Make sure you get form right and just build it up. I remember when I couldn't do any on my toes!

Generally as long as you are doing the exercise correctly any amount is good. You've got to take it at your own pace.

P.s. I've just done the 6th workout (so 2 weeks in) and I can already see the changes in my body! I can almost see some tricep definition and my waist is nipped in. so it is worth sticking with it :smile:
  • HappilyLifts
    Options
    Hi!

firstly, great job for doing it!

Squats, get comfy with bodyweight squats and then add in the dumbells. In my rest period I write in my weight, set up the next exercise (I have adjustable dumbells and you would not believe how long it takes to screw the weights on and off lol)

Pushups - I can only do 5 in a row on my toes so I do 5, rest for 10 seconds another 5, rest for 10 seconds, another 5. Make sure you get form right and just build it up. I remember when I couldn't do any on my toes!

Generally as long as you are doing the exercise correctly any amount is good. You've got to take it at your own pace.

P.s. I've just done the 6th workout (so 2 weeks in) and I can already see the changes in my body! I can almost see some tricep definition and my waist is nipped in. so it is worth sticking with it :smile:

hi, Thanks for replying.
    I am ready for those dumbells with the squats. I've been squatting my thighs horizontal to the floor for a couple of months. It's the one strength move I actually feel proud of :-) Just not sure where to hold the dumbells.

I like your idea for something to do in the rest periods. I'll do my notes then too :-)

So, I should just start with push ups from my toes right? Even if it is only one or two, break, another one or two...

Really glad to hear you can see some definition already, there's nothing like a noticeable difference for motivation. Keep up the good work!

I just got my daughter to take some 'before' shots. Ugh. Awful! I am only posting them when I get the 'after' shots :laugh:
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    A Squats:
    The squats are ok. I can do them without weights pretty well. I only have dumbells at home and wasn't sure how to hold them. I tried one set holding them on my shoulders to mimic a barbells but it didn't feel stable, and one set holding them at my sides. 8lb weights. How do you think I should hold them?
    I managed both sets.

B2 Seated row.
    I had to do a upright row with the same weight dumbells as earlier. Does it matter if I point my knuckles forward or turn my hands so that my thumbs face forwards (which was more comfortable for my neck). I achieved all 15 on both sets. Phew!

C1 Step ups
    My step is just under 5 inches tall so I had to bend both knees so that the non-working leg didn't keep hitting the floor. Managed 15 in Set a and 12 in Set 2. However, I forgot to alternate with C2!

C2 Prone jacknife.
    Trying to get onto that ball was sooo frustrating! I think it took most of my energy just to get balanced on it! I managed 6 in Set 1 and only 4 in Set 2. Dreadful! But then I'm 205lbs of fat with not alot of upper body strength!

Welcome, and good start!

Squats:
    With dumbells i prefer them on shoulders, so your back takes the weight, otherwise it kind of turns into a deadlift. Best to do with weight, it helps your balance. Try to get knees BELOW parallel for a real challenge (a** to grass :wink: ).
    Steps up:
    I use my stairs, with the 2nd stair it's a 13" step up, closer to the height we should be doing. Some people go higher, but my hip joints don't like that.
    Prone Jacknives are a nightmare, but they really work your abs, make sure you pull in your abs as you do it. Practice helps! My shoulders get tired too.
    Seated row:
    the pic in the book has her hands somewhere between the 2 positions you mentioned, i expect it's best for you to avoid discomfort.
    Push ups:
    If you don't want to do from your knees, try what i did, i did full push ups with my hands on the stairs, starting with 3rd stair up, then working down. Every 2 weeks or so I'd move my hands to the next stair down. By the end of stage one i could do them on the floor properly, although not getting my chest to the floor (to be fair my chest is small, so further to go to hit the floor!!)

Don't give up!
  • HappilyLifts
    Options

Steps up:
    I use my stairs, with the 2nd stair it's a 13" step up, closer to the height we should be doing. Some people go higher, but my hip joints don't like that.

Push ups:
    If you don't want to do from your knees, try what i did, i did full push ups with my hands on the stairs, starting with 3rd stair up, then working down. Every 2 weeks or so I'd move my hands to the next stair down. By the end of stage one i could do them on the floor properly, although not getting my chest to the floor (to be fair my chest is small, so further to go to hit the floor!!)

Don't give up!

thanks, I :heart: all your advice, especially these two above!
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I left the gym Monday in tears after my first (and only, so far) session. I was just so frustrated! I felt weak, inadequate and like a huge loser. I also realized after I left that I did the step-ups incorrectly! I was in such severe pain from the squats (with just BW) that I couldn't walk down my stairs until Thursday! I did 7 push-ups from my knees, and when I got home, I re-read the book and figured out that I should have done them from an incline. I like the helpful hints I read in this thread. I am getting ready mentally to go for this again- I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP!!

Good luck to you!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'm not sure what your method was for getting on the exercise ball, but try starting from behind it and roll your body over the top of it until your hands are on the floor in front of the ball so you are sort of laying on it. Then you can just use your hands to walk yourself out to the proper position with your legs already on the ball. You need some room to roll, but I find this quite a stable way to position myself.

Don't give up ladies! We all start at different levels and that's why we are doing this, to improve!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love the advice for doing the pushups on the stairs. Does anyone else just make it a point to do a few of them as you're walking up the stairs each day or is that just me? :)

Stepups-I have done them incorrectly both times (started on Monday so I've done Workout A twice now). Don't feel bad! Day one-I forgot to alternate all of the exercises so it felt like I did a million stepups in a row. Day 2 I did all of the steps on my left leg and then did them all on my right without alternating back & forth. Crazy!

Those jackknifes are a killer. By the time I was balanced on the ball, my shirt came untucked and then I had to start all over again.

Stay with it! From what I've read, this first stage is a learning curve, a time to get correct form and to gain a little confidence.
  • HappilyLifts
    Options
    I left the gym Monday in tears after my first (and only, so far) session. I was just so frustrated! I felt weak, inadequate and like a huge loser. I also realized after I left that I did the step-ups incorrectly! I was in such severe pain from the squats (with just BW) that I couldn't walk down my stairs until Thursday! I did 7 push-ups from my knees, and when I got home, I re-read the book and figured out that I should have done them from an incline. I like the helpful hints I read in this thread. I am getting ready mentally to go for this again- I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP!!

Good luck to you!
    hi, push ups from an incline? Darn, that book has sooo much in it. I didn't find that bit either! :laugh:
    Let's do it together! I'll be trying again on Monday. Check in with me? :flowerforyou:
  • HappilyLifts
    Options
    I'm not sure what your method was for getting on the exercise ball, but try starting from behind it and roll your body over the top of it until your hands are on the floor in front of the ball so you are sort of laying on it. Then you can just use your hands to walk yourself out to the proper position with your legs already on the ball. You need some room to roll, but I find this quite a stable way to position myself.
    that sounds alot more elegant than my method :bigsmile:
    thanks!
  • HappilyLifts
    Options
    I love the advice for doing the pushups on the stairs. Does anyone else just make it a point to do a few of them as you're walking up the stairs each day or is that just me? :)
    I hadn't, but I will now that you've planted the idea in my head! :flowerforyou:
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started doing push ups on the deep freeze, moved to the low bar on the squat rack (I have a home gym) and by the end of stage 1 I can do half a set on the bench and the rest on the squat rack. I"m still not on the floor so don't feel bad!

I HATE prone jackknives. They are the bane of my existance lol.
  • HappilyLifts
    Options
    I started doing push ups on the deep freeze, moved to the low bar on the squat rack (I have a home gym) and by the end of stage 1 I can do half a set on the bench and the rest on the squat rack. I"m still not on the floor so don't feel bad!

I HATE prone jackknives. They are the bane of my existance lol.

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Honestly I can only do three from the floor and I've just started stage 2. I started with push ups against the wall.
  • HappilyLifts
    Options
    Honestly I can only do three from the floor and I've just started stage 2. I started with push ups against the wall.
    I love you guys, you are making me feel so much more normal :smile:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting!!! I did workout A(2) today, and I'm second-guessing myself all over the place. I had done my first try with squats last week in the smith machine, which I later found out was wrong, so today I did them in the real squat rack, where the bar is definitely heavier, but I did them anyway. I wasn't sure if I'm getting my quads parallel to the ground/floor though, so I did one @ home to ask DH to tell me, and he said I'm leaning too far forward when I do them, but even then, only getting *close* to parallel, but not achieving it. And if I keep my back straighter/more upright, I can't even get close to parallel, never mind going lower.

I agree with the posts pointing out that no-one starts out perfect, and the goal is for improvement, not perfection. Hang in there...
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    And if I keep my back straighter/more upright, I can't even get close to parallel, never mind going lower.

I agree with the posts pointing out that no-one starts out perfect, and the goal is for improvement, not perfection. Hang in there...

You shouldn't be upright in a squat. Yes, the back is straight, but not straight up-and-down. I highly suggest googling rippetoe and squat and watch some videos (with your husband even if he's going to be giving you feedback). It'll give you some great info.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Good luck to you!

Don't give up! I have had plenty of those days. And I've come home from the gym before finishing my workout, finishing at home, twice now. I've had setbacks and restarts. I'm making progress though, and that's what matters.

You can do it!
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    And if I keep my back straighter/more upright, I can't even get close to parallel, never mind going lower.

You shouldn't be upright in a squat. Yes, the back is straight, but not straight up-and-down. I highly suggest googling rippetoe and squat and watch some videos (with your husband even if he's going to be giving you feedback). It'll give you some great info.

Thanks. I have an appt. with a trainer next weekend to check my form. Also, DH wasn't trying to tell me I need to keep my back upright, but he said I was leaning over too far & losing my natural back arch, and leaning more forward than the picture in the book. I'm confused as hell how I'd know something like that without someone to tell me. Even with a mirror, I can't see that for myself looking straight at my reflection b/c of how the squat rack is positioned in my gym.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    C2 Prone jacknife.
    oh, you should've seen me today (first day), in the gym, with a trainer, trying to do that thing, it was so embarrassing, with the trainer having to hold one of my legs till I get the other one up lol, and failing miserably even with all that help! :D
    and I even have a gym ball at home and can balance myself on it with my legs crossed (meditation pose).
    So I definitely decided I have to practice this one before Friday, when I'm supposed to do it again.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    oh, you should've seen me today (first day), in the gym, with a trainer, trying to do that thing, it was so embarrassing, with the trainer having to hold one of my legs till I get the other one up lol, and failing miserably even with all that help! :D
    and I even have a gym ball at home and can balance myself on it with my legs crossed (meditation pose).
    So I definitely decided I have to practice this one before Friday, when I'm supposed to do it again.

I did my 2nd Workout A yesterday, and even though I fell off the ball twice in my first Workout A, I didn't fall off at all yesterday, which I count as improvement. It's definitely easier to get on the ball by laying on your belly on it, then inching forward on your hands until your legs are in the right spot. Getting off is far less graceful, for me at least.