finally I got the diagnosis!

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Hey!!!! I can finally collect my thoughts and give ya'll an update. I went to the ortho doctor on Wednesday and she looked at the MRI results and I got my diagnosis: Patella-femoral Syndrome. Thank GOD no surgery! WOOO HOO!!! She said she wants me to restart physical therapy because some things they do differently then last time and she wants 'taping'. My knee cap is off center which causes pain...from what I have read I think 3 reasons why: (1) I am a woman the whole pelvis thing (2) severe pronation of my feet (3) weak gluteals and need to increase flexibility. I have been reading and eyes bleeding now....

Replies

• Chocolatewoman
    Chocolatewoman Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cool beans that you don't need surgery. I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks about my left knee which is now causing my hip to hurt. I'm hoping it's a quick fix.

Be well and take care of yourself.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Thanks....this has been going on since November!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Went to Physical Therapy and this time instead of strengthening we will work on flexibility...he did say I have done great with doing exercises on my own...can tell my 'booty' muscles are like that...okay he didn't say that 'I did' heee hee hee. He did say I am stronger so that is great and keep it up. But for some reason my hip muscles and muscles to my knees are really tight which he thinks pulls my knee cap over out of place. We have to work on certain stretches. Sooo when I workout I gotta stretch for 15-20 minutes afterwards! Geesh! I am still trying to get my orthotics too!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Back in November that was my diagnosis as well. I have found that wearing a small runners knee brace on my knee that I picked up at Walmart has been a lifesaver!

So happy you have found the answer!

D
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    I just got to work from the physical therapy this morning!!!!! I am going to try and work but beat down! BODY WEIGHT exercises are no joke!!!!! No equipment just your and yourself to make you sweat at least my shirt and shorts were sweaty!
    I did a lot of stretching that made me want to cry.
    HOW did I get so tight????
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I am also having trouble with my foot (metatarsalgia) and I have been doing non-weight bearing exercises. I was surprised at just how difficult they were!

D
  • eternitywaitsloss
    Options
    It's actually comforting to hear of someone else who has Patella-femoral Syndrome. Both of my knees are shot (there's no cartilage there, and bone spurs grind all over the place in both).
    I was never a super-skinny girl, but after a car accident (I was a passenger in, mind you) in 2000, I've had trouble with my knees ever since. Initially I was given a cortisone shot and that helped for a while.
    We just ordered a recumbent exercise bike, so I'm hoping that will help with my knee issue as well. :)
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    I went to the doctor hopefully for the last time to get fitted for orthotics...take about 4-6 weeks to get them. Physical therapy is done and I will advocate and recommend anyone go if they have an issue. I strongly say DO the exercises because I have found it make a huge difference in my recovery!
  • punkymegx
    punkymegx Posts: 2
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with PFS by not given any therapy or snything. I havent been able to work out for a month. WHat stretches have you been doing to help build up thhe quad and gluteal muscles?