Having trouble reaching my protein goals...

Options
TL0105
TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
Hey all~
This site has been so helpful, and it is so nice to have other people going through the same experience as I...here's the deal...I am having a hard time reaching my protein goals each day and was wondering if any of you had some suggestions...What works for you? Thank you in advance for your help~ :smile:

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Surgeons seem to differ on what is recommended. Are you having trouble finding a shake or bar that you like?

I like to have at least 100 grams of protein each day. I think it keeps my hunger and cravings at bay. I like Pure Protein protein bars.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I prefer the protein shakes. I have one with 25 grams of protein in two scoops.
  • puckfan
    puckfan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    low-fat and fat-free cheeses are a godsend! nuts, too! and i do have a protein shake every day too. good luck, hon! :)
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you only had your surgery at the end of March, it's no wonder you are having trouble getting to protein goal. It took me almost two months after getting my band to be able to just eat enough food to get enough protein in. In the mean time, don't hesitate to drink your protein shakes. Everyone has their favorite so find one, or two that you really like, I prefer ready to drink since I'm lazy, and drink away.
  • TL0105
    Options
    What is your goal? Surgeons seem to differ on what is recommended. Are you having trouble finding a shake or bar that you like?

I like to have at least 100 grams of protein each day. I think it keeps my hunger and cravings at bay. I like Pure Protein protein bars.

I have actually followed your lead and bought a couple of those bars. I do like them..right now I having trouble reaching 60 grams just because I am 3 1/2 weeks out and not very hungry at all....
  • TL0105
    Options
    If you only had your surgery at the end of March, it's no wonder you are having trouble getting to protein goal. It took me almost two months after getting my band to be able to just eat enough food to get enough protein in. In the mean time, don't hesitate to drink your protein shakes. Everyone has their favorite so find one, or two that you really like, I prefer ready to drink since I'm lazy, and drink away.

Thanks! I have found the ready to drink from GNC Total Lean...I guess I will just have to make myself drink an exra shake to make up the difference...I've also been looking at others' menu's to see what they are eating/drinking for additional ideas.
  • Abasmusikbx
    Options
    I got Horribly sick of the protiene shakes and started mixing half of a protien shot (from Walmart) in with my crystal light twice a day (for good absorbtion) ... it really helps RNY 12-27
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese was very easy for me post-op. Weight Watchers String Cheese. Protein shakes, even Unjury has a chicken broth protein, that is a nice change. Many beef jerkies are 98% fat free, high in protein, and since you're just nibbling on a small amount, not a whole serving, the sodium is too bad.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Lisa
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I start my day with a protein bar that i make and had about 28g of protein... made with protein isolate powder. I'm not much of a breakfast person, so it helps me get a protein start to the day. I've adjusted the reciepe to my taste and I actually look forward to it. It you would like the reciepe, let me know.
  • kfink426
    kfink426 Posts: 16
    Options
    Personally - I got extremely sick of protein shakes and bars real quick.

Protein really does need to be the focus of your meals. I found it easy to keep up my intake by drinking 2 glasses of milk a day, when I snack - to make sure it's protein rich like nuts, peanut butter, or cheese, and to add things like beans and tofu to my meals as my "veggie" to increase the protein I'm already taking in with the main course.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You're so recently post-op i wouldn't worry too much about it just yet.. keep working towards your goal.. understanding that you may not be able to reach it on a regular basis for another couple of months..

Make sure you're following the basics.. no drinking during meals or 30 min/before or after.. make sure you're getting protein in first and everything else after..

My surgeon recommended we eat 5 to 6 small meals a day.. but each meal had to have at least 15 to 20g of protein.. for me, early on, that meant I had to have lean protein in each meal.. it had to be SUPER moist.. so it was often chicken boiled in broth.. and anything else I ate (mashed potatoes or butternut squash for example) had unflavored protein powder mixed in as well.. EVERYTHING had protein in it somehow. If I ate pudding, I mixed in protein powder.. I found protein shots (they come in vials and have fruit flavors) that had 25g of protein in about 4 or 6 oz of fluid.. so that was one of my 6 meals..

You'll get sick of finding ways to punch protein into EVERYTHING.. but until your pouch or stomach can take a little more in it, you gotta get creative..

Stick with it.. remember it's a GOAL.. if you get there regularly great.. if you don't.. just keep working at it and you will.

Stef
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello
    Its been 1 week now since my surgery and I too find it hard to reach my goals. I found that eating the baby food meat jars helps a lot. The beechnut brand is 2.25 on and contains anywhere from 8 to 10 grams of protein in each jar. I just flavor it with the applesauce. My digestive system seems to really like it :)
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    okay Sweetpoetic is way braver than I am, no way would I eat baby food. I'm a week out from a RYN but having no problem eating, though like many others here I am so sick of shakes. I'm still on creamy foods diet so I eat a lot of soups with unflavored protein powder. my doctor wants me to have between 60-80 which means 3 scoops of powder throughout the day (natures best Isopure low and zero carb = 26 grams per scoop available through GNC website) leaving pleanty of space/time for a sugar free jello, pudding, or popsicle.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Also have to tell you - you look GREAT!!!