Mine didn't help me lose weight

Options
Has anyone else had this issue? I had the lapband done almost 3 years ago now. I lost about 10 lbs the month after surgery, but since then nothing. And I have actually gained weight since. I had a complication at first where they had to wait to fill my band because I got a blood clot from the surgery. I was on blood thinners for 6 months. My doctor initially thought I had heartburn. Thank God I pressed the issue and they did a CT Scan and found the clot. And until now I kind of gave up. The process to get the surgery was challenging. And now having no results I am just frustrated. I worked 3-4 times a week. I am not one to eat fast food or a lot of soda. And I generally stayed pretty active after the surgery. Obviously I am big enough to have had the surgery, so in theory I should be losing weight right? I read some statistics before the surgery about a percentage of people who don't lose any weight, but everyone told me, "Oh that won't be you." I am telling my story because I want to tell the other side of the surgery. I went through a lot to only end up back in the hospital with complications and never have a success story to tell. I think its great that it works for so many people. Maybe now I can do it on my own since obviously the lapband did nothing for me. If I could go back I wouldn't do it. I think if you're truly ready for weight loss you will do it the old fashioned way and change your habits.

Replies

• tiffanic83
    Options
    and I am not saying you don't change habits with surgery... just meant doing it completely without.
  • mz_hartbreaka
    mz_hartbreaka Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ur habits and lifestyle completely change after surgery, there is no physical way it couldnt... sorii to hear you have has such a bad experience, do u mind telling me what u might eat on an average daii
  • mz_hartbreaka
    Options
    and do u still have the band in?
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of post-op wls people. I only know 2 who have been successful with the lapband.
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    As of late I havent been doing so well with keeping on track, but the first yr or two after surgery I did. I completely changed what I ate. Before I never liked vegetables but I found ways to like them and incorporated them into my diet in place of a lot of carbs. I tried to have some protein at every meal. For awhile I was even doing the breakfast shakes they recommended for me and then later on something like cottage cheese, string cheese, fruit, yogurt, etc. I've never had much of a sweet tooth so that wasn't a problem. I def have to get back on track now, it was just so discouraging that I stopped trying. And laura you know a lot of people who werent successful wit the band? And yes I still have it.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    And laura you know a lot of people who werent successful wit the band? And yes I still have it.

I'd say I personally know around 50 people who have had the lap band. Of those, only 2 have gotten anywhere near goal weight, The rest either lost 10-20 pounds and that's it. Or lost 50 and gained it back.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I frequent another WLS website; and the success of the bandsters there is VERY LOW. Many have so much difficulty, they never find the "sweet spot" (adequate fill), or they suffer from constant vomitting and want to have the band unfilled or removed. My neighbor who was self pay decided on the band instead of bypass because of the cost; she initially lost about 20 pounds, then gained it back and more and STILL four years later can't eat anything but "slider foods", which we all know leads to weight gain. And because she was self pay, her insurance won't pay for ANYTHING related to it, including taking it out (which is what she really wants). I have two other friends who had the band; they both initially lost weight but never made it to goal and are now gaining weight back.

I'm sorry you are struggling; perhaps you need to consider another TYPE of surgery. I won't be surprised if the band is no longer done after a while; they now have the VSG which accomplishes the same thing as the band (restriction without malabsorption) with fewer problems.
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    Well that makes me feel a bit better that I am not the only one. Its sad really that people go through it all with no success. But I am happy to say I want to try again. I don't think I would ever have another surgery besides just getting this removed, but who knows.
  • mz_hartbreaka
    Options
    wow im the complete opposite, i no personally 10 ppl including myself who have reached their goal weight or lost more, with a lap band. every individual is different but i think it also depends on ur surgeon also...
  • mz_hartbreaka
    Options
    does it have any fluid in it or u have drained it out??
  • sparks29
    sparks29 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am not sure how this surgery was well explained to you or not but this is a TOOL and it needs to be treated as a TOOL. This WLS requires hard work and deciatation. When I chose this surgery I did is because this is the one that was a TOOL to help me not do the work for me.

I am recently banded and I have lost 65 lbs in total and I did the work not my band. It is all in how you look at it I think. I am willing to put the work in. I track everything, I work out hard and I have even hired a trainer. It is up to me to make this tool work.
  • mz_hartbreaka
    Options
    ur so right sparks29 that was my next post.. the band isnt a magic wand.. it wont magically make the weight fall off u, my surgeon said exactly that its a tool, an aid to assist u in weight loss the rest comes from you, i can understand that if a medical issue that u had no control over complicated the surgery but, if everythng goes well its all up the indivdual..and getting a lapband is definately not an easy thing as most ppl i talk to think.. some even say its some wat lazy.. if they only new ..ur hole out look on eating has to change and there are things u will never be able to eat again..but if u use the band to ur advantage you will lose weight..
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    "but if u use the band to ur advantage you will lose weight.. "

Yes, but like all tools sometimes they don't do the job as intended. The friends I mentioned in my previous post did the work, followed their surgeon's guidelines, tried their best......and yet they did not lose the weight. I think it's unfair and honestly MEAN to imply that failure to lose weight automatically means the OP must not have followed the rules!
  • mz_hartbreaka
    Options
    i never said rules, but guidelines yes to help make the weightloss sucessful any surgeon or dietician will tell u that.. and i also said if u had read my previous post correctly that if a medical complication does arise which u have no control over then ofcourse this may impact how the band works and how you chose to use the band
  • outoftherain
    Options
    When I was first researching WLS I looked into the band and was shocked at what I read on the forums. It seemed like so little success. I know someone who had it and lost 30 lbs and nothing more... she throws up all time and really regrets it. I am 3 weeks out and have lost that with VSG already.

So many people get it revised to VSG it seems . I would never suggest the band for anyone. All I see is problems, yes it can work for people but it is the least successful of the wls and requires so much more effort.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of post-op wls people. I only know 2 who have been successful with the lapband.
    And now you know 3 :)

*waves hello*
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    *waves back* I never thought the surgery would be some magical cure... and even before surgery I always worked out and went to the gym and at least made somewhat of an effort. And yes I do still have fluid in my band. Its unfortunate that it doesn't work for so many people. From my experience I am seeing the effort you have to put in, is the same with or without the band, at least for myself. I gave up for awhile, but I am back on track. I did everything I was suppose to for a long time and it was discouraging. I also failed to mention I have a hormone imbalance ( not like a crazy person or something lol ) and PCOS. So like the guy said, a failed weight loss surgery doesn't mean someone isn't trying. But either way its hard. Thanks for sharing stories that it didn't work for everyone. I am still very happy for those who have been successful with it.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Ah yes PCOS thats a bugger! Id had that for about 13 yrs, and it was the first thing to go after I started losing my weight. I thought mine would ease, yes, but I had no idea it would go completely. All the bloods came back completely normal and all my symptoms went. That was the best part of getting the band for me.

Ive had a hell of a ride though, had mine 2 yrs. 2 weeks after haivn git donw I found I was 7 weeks pregnant, so didnt have any fills for the first yr. The got punctued on my first fill, had to have port resited, got an infection from that, ended up on a ward for a week. Gastritis since Aug. The list of complications just goes on and on. BUt I would do it again, I just wish my ride had been as easy as some of my friends has

xx
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    I am sorry the ride was rough, but glad it was worth it for you!