Adding Extra cardio...

Options
Is anyone adding in extra cardio? I usually workout an hour a day 6 days a weeks, so I was thinking of doing something like this...

workout 1, plus a 30 minute turbo fire HIIT workout
workout 2, plus cardio 1
wednesdays - kickboxing (1 hour)
workout 1, plus a 30 minute turbo fire hiit workout
workout 2, plus cardio 1
Saturdays, a 30 minute HIIT workout.

thoughts?

Replies

• formerpyt
    formerpyt Posts: 56
    Options
    I think adding extra cardio sounds like a good idea, although I believe Jillian Michaels had advised only adding three extra sessions of cardio (I may well be wrong, but I'll look around to see what she advises) I'm beginning phase2 tomorrow and plan to incorporate some extra cardio as I have not lost the pounds as expected. Thirty minutes a day sounds great, but it's just not cutting it for me.
  • pmcjt
    pmcjt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of starting as I mean to go on. I've applied this principle to my personal life and now to my weight loss. I want to make sure that I concentrate my efforts on a solid, great workout and maximize my results. Before, I was working out for about an hour and half, sometimes with a personal trainer, and not getting the results I think I am getting with this program. I've been doing the half hour workouts and sometimes add a cardio like a long walk or hike to a workout day. On cardio days, I do the assigned cardio but if I am getting bored, I supplement it with a different workout of equal or more intensity. I don't want to work out any less. I just need to make sure whatever I am doing, I can continue to do. Otherwise, I'll burn out or quit. This is just my personality but maybe it is helpful to a few others.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half Marathon in 6 weeks so I run instead of do the cardio videos. I am doing 3 cardio days instead of 2. My one double day I run in the morning and do BR after work.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think you need to do what feels good to you and is something you can maintain (either through the program or on an ongoing basis). Only you know what you can handle. Try it out...if it works well, continue!

In my case, I just started week 5. In my first 4 weeks, I added a few extra exercises sessions here and there. I did the double workouts in the week 1 Kickstart week (other than the cardio days...I only did the workout once). After week 1, I did 1-2 additional cardio sessions (e.g., medium impact 30-min dvd from my P90 dvd set) and 1-2 yoga sessions. At most, I did 3 (adding together both yoga or cardio) sessions a week. This was based on my energy level and not because I felt like I "had" to do anything.

Today, I have a lot of energy and may do an addtional workout...probably yoga.

Just try your schedule out and if it feels good, do it! If not, adjust accordingly. For me, that would be too much for me to sustain, but I still have a chunk of weight to lose.