Welcome! Introduce Yourself

Options
2»

Replies

• Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this group. I was born in 1956 and I need to lose about 80 pounds. I am really ashamed of how big I have gotten. I used to be extremely active, was a nationally-trained athlete in my teens, and have worked around horses and dogs for years. In 2006 I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer, underwent two surgeries, and now the cancer has moved into my lungs. I am now putting on more weight because of the medication I need to take. I am at my all-time high right now. I have been here for 2 years but have struggled ever since the first day. It's now at the point where my 88-year-old mother is telling me I'm going to have a heart attack. She doesn't know about the cancer or about the medication. I didn't feel there was any need to upset her. I am not, as yet, terminal and I don't intend to be. Would love to have some friends around my own age. It's a different ballgame when you get to our age -- the weight doesn't come off as easily. Please friend me if you feel I might be able to encourage you on your journey.

Good for you for coming this far in your fight against cancer! I'm a cancer survivor. I'm going to friend you so we can support each other.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Kathryn, mid 50's. I want my body back! My excuse was starting and running a business. 10 hour days, 5-6 days per week were common, even 7 days but early on I knew it would burn me out if I did it too much. I have too much staff now, so I come in late. I still work later than the staff.

I fluffed up about 30 pounds in 10 years, and was 20 pounds over when I started. Last year I was diagnosed as a prediabetic. Took it seriously. It explained why I was so tired at day end, beyond just the brutal hours. So I've been working at weight loss for a year now, losing all of 10 pounds in 2011. Don't care about speed of loss, just that it declines.

Let's friend each other, coach each other and getter done!
  • reddrum1
    reddrum1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    WOW did you have surgery. How long has it taken you to loose 144 lbs?
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Nope no surgery would not think of it it has been almost 4 years the first year about 70 lbs got me under 300 thenoff and on 25 a year a little back and forth now I am dialing it up to lose about 65 70 lbs the last year and finis up about 170 if I become really nutsy will lose the last 4 to get to an even 200 lbs off hopefully by Jan my 65th Bday
  • Tall_E
    Options
    Hi my name is Kathryn, mid 50's. I want my body back! My excuse was starting and running a business. 10 hour days, 5-6 days per week were common, even 7 days but early on I knew it would burn me out if I did it too much. I have too much staff now, so I come in late. I still work later than the staff.

I fluffed up about 30 pounds in 10 years, and was 20 pounds over when I started. Last year I was diagnosed as a prediabetic. Took it seriously. It explained why I was so tired at day end, beyond just the brutal hours. So I've been working at weight loss for a year now, losing all of 10 pounds in 2011. Don't care about speed of loss, just that it declines.

Let's friend each other, coach each other and getter done!

Great attitude!
  • dottheyes30
    dottheyes30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and trust me my body doesn't even look like it belongs to me anymore. I gained 40 pounds from quitting smoking. I smoked two packs a day for 40 years so I guess thats why I gained 40 lbs. Feel free to add me to your friends list we need all the support we can get.

Dot
  • dottheyes30
    dottheyes30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Peggy, click on the persons picture and then a screen will come up to add them as a friend. You can add me also. Hope this helps you.

Dot
  • Tall_E
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking after 40 years! Nicotine is a tough addiction to beat, especially after so long, so that tells me you are very tough to have stopped smoking and you have the determination you need to get your body back. Please keep letting this group know how you're doing and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • reddrum1
    reddrum1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I have had a weight problem all my life. I turned 66 jan16th ,went to the doctor on the 17th looking for an easy fix to my prblem. I was looking at bypass surgery however,my insurance required to be be on a supervised diet for 6 month. Is started my diet Jan 20th. As of today I am down 95 lbs. I am still running from the knife with another 70 lbs to loose.
    It took me years and getting to 380 lbs to realize there is no easy answer to my problem. I am down to taking only 1/2 of one of my diabetic pills and I started at 110 units of insulin and today I don't take any.
    I applaud the success of everyone here and I am encouraged by everyone's stories.
  • Tall_E
    Options
    reddrum1, YOU are an inspiration! What you've done is a great accomplishment, especially since you've learned along the way that there are no 'easy answers' instead of hard work. And how great that you don't need insulin anymore. My 57 year old brother just got diagnosed with diabetes and started insulin. It made him get serious about losing weight and he's now on MFP too and lost 20 pounds in the last two months. So often it does take Life kicking us in the behind to do what we know we should but, hey, I'll take it because it's what's gotten me going and gotten me to MFP, where I've found wonderful support.

I hope one day you feel comfortable enough to share pictures to show your success. :smile: