Anyone Had a Thyroidectomy?

Options
enaves1986
enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
I had mine taken out due to full blown lipoma.

Replies

• tcycato
    tcycato Posts: 4
    Options
    yes mine was taken out about 10 years ago.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Mine was removed a few years ago. I just wasn't responding to meds at the time, and because of Graves Eye Disease - radioactive iodine treatment was out of the question.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Mine finally had to go in July 2010. It was overactive and every other treatment in four years time had failed to slow it down, and it was starting to cause me other health problems, so out it went.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yep, 2 sep surgeries ... one for nodule.. the olther bc oops. Nodule had papillary cancer. How are you doing? Do you have to have a thryoidectomy?
  • incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mine has also been removed completely. November of 2010. let me know if I can help in any way.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had a hemithyroidectomy due to a golf-ball sized benign tumor in April 2011. Currently on 75mcg of Synthroid. Feel free to add me if you need friends
  • nspink
    nspink Posts: 65
    Options
    I had mines removed in Feb 2011. My TSH isn't normal yet, but my T3/T4 at normal range. Currently on Synthroid and Cytomel. Add me if you like.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    half of mine taken out. other half happy and still with me. Take synthroid and still trying to get the dose correct.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed two years ago due to cancer, took us almost a year to get my level regulated
  • rosecook425
    rosecook425 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed 16 years ago in June because of thyroid cancer. Im always looking for new friends and motivation. Feel free to add me as a friend. Best wishes in your journey of life.
  • BlueEyez117
    Options
    Yep, 2 sep surgeries ... one for nodule.. the olther bc oops. Nodule had papillary cancer. How are you doing? Do you have to have a thryoidectomy?

The cancerous side of my thyroid was removed in Feb '06 and then the rest in May '06. I chalk it up to poor communication between my surgeon and my endocrinologist and no one would listen to a 21 year old at the time.

Good luck with everything. It takes a bit to get adjusted to life without a thyroid but as long as you have a good doctor on your side you should be fine :)
  • dawnschrecengost66
    dawnschrecengost66 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Yes I had mine removed last month. In December I was diagnosed with enlarged thyroid, never on any medication prior to surgery. I went through the series of ultra sound, radiation uptake scan, and instead of biopsy my surgeon and I decided on removal.

After 4 1/2 hour surgery 4 weeks ago, I seem to be doing well.

Currently taking 100 mcg of Levothyroxine, had blood work yesterday and have a follow up visit this week to see how my levels are, and whether medication adjustment is necessary.

What others have experienced by way of ability to lose weight now would be awesome information.

Thanks
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is going to be a little more challenging but it can be done. Be careful, I gained 30 pounds within a month of my thyroidectomy in January of 2011. I use plenty of protein and excercise regularly. :smile:
  • Halfhand
    Halfhand Posts: 1
    Options
    I had mine removed about 2 years ago. Graves disease, tried radio-active iodine 3 times.

Dr. said it was the biggest one he had ever removed (just about went ear to ear). He said it was covered in scar tissue, so the radiation treatments worked at killing part of it off but there was just too much of it.

Started on 137 of Levothyroxine and wished I'd never had the surgery, after a year switched to Synthroid same dose and life is much better. I still miss having the metabolism of three 16 year olds but getting to stay alive has its own benefits.

Went into surgery weighing 195 lbs, two months after I was up to 230 and have been hovering around there ever since.

The key is finding a great Dr. that is concerned about how you feel not what your numbers are, and I had an outstanding Dr. Sadly he recently moved back to Dubai, but he did brief the Dr. I'm seeing now before he left.

Reading other boards like this he did one major thing different than other peoples Dr's. He dosed me down as opposed to up, meaning he had me running a bit on the hyper side then reduced dosage to "normal" levels. He also gave me some very good advice by telling me to first get used to living with normal thyroid levels, then start working toward loosing the weight I slammed on after surgery.

So, it's been 2 years, I've become comfortable with my new "normal" now it's time to get rid of this extra 30-35 lbs I've been lugging around. Before the surgery that would have meant skipping lunch one day, from what I understand now "normal" people have to put in a bit more effort than that to loose weight.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed May 19 2010, at 5 months pregnant. I was at about 155lbs (lost about 15lbs during that 1st part of my pregnancy) and after I had my daughter I ended up weighing 205lbs! Its been almost 2 years since my surgery and my levels are finally 'normal'. I started MFP in Jan 2012 and have lost 15lbs so far, I never thought I'd see the scale go lower and I love seeing the 180's again! Need to lose another 30lbs or so and I'll be a happy camper :happy:
  • cm0909
    cm0909 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had nodule in one lobe and goiter in the other. They did the biopsies and ultrasounds and thought that the nodule was changing in ways that could be consistent with Thyroid Cancer. So when I was 41 they decided it would be best to do a complete thyroidectomy. The nodule ended up being a Follicular Adenoma (benign). During the months following surgery I gained a significant amount of weight. My TSH levels are pretty good usually. My other main issue from the sugery is low calcium and low Vitamin D. I take 50,000iu of D a week and 1800mg of Calcium a day. I noticed that I have had much more "bone pain" since all of that occured and I definitely do not lose weight very easily at all! Hopefully this is something that will improve as time goes by?
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I had half of mine removed in 2003 the other half is still here but will probably be removed in a few years. I currently have a nodule growing on it. Just depends how big it will get before we remove it.
  • nspink
    nspink Posts: 65
    Options
    I had nodule in one lobe and goiter in the other. They did the biopsies and ultrasounds and thought that the nodule was changing in ways that could be consistent with Thyroid Cancer. So when I was 41 they decided it would be best to do a complete thyroidectomy. The nodule ended up being a Follicular Adenoma (benign). During the months following surgery I gained a significant amount of weight. My TSH levels are pretty good usually. My other main issue from the sugery is low calcium and low Vitamin D. I take 50,000iu of D a week and 1800mg of Calcium a day. I noticed that I have had much more "bone pain" since all of that occured and I definitely do not lose weight very easily at all! Hopefully this is something that will improve as time goes by?

So its been over a year since my surgery, and I also have low calcium. Was taking 2000mg a day but it's still too low so I went back on rocaltrol and 1000mg of calcium. I'm going to retest next week to see how the calcium levels are. I use to have horrible muscle cramps that had me in tears... (1 month right after surgery) but it got better. Now, I'm just struggling to get the right dosage for my thyroid meds and still trying to lose weight. So far, i'm losing at a very slooooooooooooow steady pace. It gets frustrating but I'm just happy to not see a gain on the scale.