Newbie to half-marathon

Options
:wink: Hey y'all, I'm training for my first half in September this year. I just finished week one training. Nice to meet everyone. I started running 8 months ago and have one 5k under my feet and running another 5k next weekend April 14th...I love running and think I might be a bit obsessed with all things running related. I run most days with some cross training and strength training thrown in for good measure. Just wanted to introduce myself, blessings and God be with you. :flowerforyou:

Oh I'm 41, married for 19 years...have 3teen boys and one 12 year old girlie...two dogs and a partridge in a pear tree!

Replies

• bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    nice to meet u! i went from couch to half marathon in just under a year, and will be couch to full marathon in 17 months! good luck with your training!
  • ceciliarachel
    Options
    this is great! I am also just starting training for my first half marathon which will be next december. My mom has been running marathons since I was little so i have seen how the training goes many times, but I am just getting interested myself in order to keep up with my fitness program.
    good luck on your own training!!!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    this is great! I am also just starting training for my first half marathon which will be next december. My mom has been running marathons since I was little so i have seen how the training goes many times, but I am just getting interested myself in order to keep up with my fitness program.
    good luck on your own training!!!

Awesome...well at least you know what to expect...lol. That is a plus. Blessings and Godspeed!
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm a newbie half marathoner too! First one next month. I've done a 12K race every year for the past four years so running isn't new to me, but this intense training has been. For this first time I am cross training and it has been incredible beneficial for my time and for avoiding injuries. Good luck!
  • lcsmith1022
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am a newbie half marathoner too. I am running my first 1/2 in Sept and would appreciate any tips/advice you are willing to give. Because of my occupation most of my training will take place on a treadmill till about a 1.5 months prior to the race. I know there is no substitute for the real ground but this race is important enough to me that I am willing to use the tread mill even though I hate them :smile:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I will also be running my first half this year in September. I'm doing a 5k in June. I've only been running since February/March and I've only dabbled with running in the past, so this will be my first time doing any kind of significant miles. I'm a bit nervous but I keep reminding myself that yes, I can do this and that I'm capable. Does anyone else struggle with that? Feel free to add me. I like seeing other runner's workouts in my feed. It reminds me if others can train to do it, so can I. And I enjoy encouraging others too!
  • lcsmith1022
    Options
    I'm a newbie half marathoner too! First one next month. I've done a 12K race every year for the past four years so running isn't new to me, but this intense training has been. For this first time I am cross training and it has been incredible beneficial for my time and for avoiding injuries. Good luck!

What are you doing for cross training?
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options

I too do cross training...currently I bike and do some spin classes...squats...burpees...lunges...etc...right now I am trying to strengthen my hip adductors and abductors to fight off hip fatigue...

What do you do for cross training?
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    My cross training is one boot camp workout a week, barbell weights at home - squats/lunges for the legs with weights, arms, and a lot of core workouts. I haven't gotten into biking yet, but would like to someday for cross training.