Supplements

Options
Hi all, just wondering if anyone takes any kind of supplement, and does it actually work? I've been taking Balance Thermo Ripped for a few weeks. Too early to tell if it's working I think. I also recently started to drink Green tea to help fat loss, detox, and to keep my coffee intake down to one cup a day. Oh, and nicotine gum. Now 3 days smoke free :happy:

Replies

• SmujnZ
    SmujnZ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey well done on the smoke free!! thats a BIG life change!!

I used to take one of those caffeine based fat burner thingos but they made my heart race all the time (and I thought it was just the excitement of the job lol)! I do take Evening primrose oil to attempt to slow the old lady prune look, and of course I have a meal replacement shake for breakfast every morning as I run out the door!

I'd be interested to see what people say on here, because I do worry about deficiencies (eer spelling?) and probably should be taking something to balance it all out.
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    Hey thanks SmujnZ. Yours isn't the only heart racing when errr, 'performing' the job... I do have a high whey protein shake to supplement my protein intake sometimes as well. I think deficiencies are over estimated. If your diet is good, I don't think vitamin supplements are necessary. Unless of course you're ill, then suck back the Vitamin C. Garlic too. I used to drink spirulina, but I hate that green look... the pills are easier. Iron supplements for women should be taken if necessary. B vitamins if you're really stressed. My stress levels are very low now though, most likely due to the diet changes and exercise.
  • SmujnZ
    SmujnZ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    BLUSH.... not THAT job, just the everyday excitement that seems to follow me.... (today has already been interesting!)

I tried Spirulina - I LOATHED it, just foul disgusting stuff! I very very rarely get colds and flu, I do get very nasty migraines but other than that all good..... Come on rest of the world wake up and answer this too!
  • melantie
    Options
    Honestly i think alot of it is just a crock of ****!

I mean there have been tests done on alot of products and they dont even contain what they say they do! Im sure there was a big hoohaa over fish oil capsules a few years ago. Yes some of these things work for others, but i wonder how psychological that is sometimes, like placebo effect.

I do believe in things like garlic, vit c and echinacea? for when sick. i started giving my kids a tablet every two days for the whole of winter and i think each one only got sick once - whereas the previous years i had to try to remember when my son was actually WELL!

Depending on what you read or who you talk to they all have varying (when do i see results) answers. Most ive talked to ie pharmacist and health shop people say 6 weeks! I think they just say that so you spend all ya hard earned money for 6 weeks of pills that wont work and then make you buy something else cause the last lot might have been wrong.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't believe in taking anything unless your body is not very good at extracting the benefits from the foods you eat. If you eat a balanced and varied diet there should be no need for extra vitamins. Your body is generally a superb motor and is very good at processing foods and the goodness it needs.

Foods which are rich in particular vitamins listed below (copied off a website:smile: )

• Vitamin A - egg yolks, kidney, cheese, liver
    • Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - pasta, cereals, fortified breads, fish, dried beans, nuts, peas
    • Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - eggs, yogurt, legumes, nuts
    • Vitamin B3 (niacin) - lean meats, grains, eggs,fish, nuts
    • Vitamin B6 - poultry, liver, pork, nuts, fish
    • Vitamin C - citrus fruits, broccoli, melon, tomatoes, kiwi
    • Vitamin D - milk, butter, oysters,cheese and your favorite – the sun!
    • Vitamin E - margarine, green leafy vegetables, cauliflower, wheat germ
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hey FiremanSam - forgot to say well done on the smoking side of things - never easy!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I read something the other day that says the only 3 supplements worth taking are krill or fish oil, multivitamins and a greens product. I personally dont take anything unless you count a high dose vit D tablet once a week.
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    Hey FiremanSam - forgot to say well done on the smoking side of things - never easy!

Thanks so much! Day 4, and I don't even want a cigarette... even the nicotine cravings have gone :happy:

thanks for the feedback so far people. There are so many products out there eh! Emma, I agree with those 3 supplements too, especially if the diet is lacking. I used to take a lot of Berroca, until a Doctor told me that it's basically coloured fizzy salt water. He said the reason why your urine goes that wicked shade of fluorescent yellow, is because the body will excrete the vitamins it can't use instantly. So basically I was throwing my money down the loo! The best info I have found on vitamins and minerals, is that a healthy functioning liver is the key. It knows what it's doing!!
  • mattrolston
    Options
    Congratulations on being smoke free, keep it up!

As for supplements i've been involved with pro sport for a few years and at first I wasn't that into them but now Im a believer. I take a wide range of stuff although its generally to gain or maintain weight. Spoke to a few of the boys who have been taking the thermojet ripped supplement and they are quite postive about it. Even if what you take only has the placebo effect then surely that has to be good too. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmainsupp.htm has heaps of information and reviews on every type of supplement known, just type what your after in the search box.
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bump (for KahuNZ's list - Thank you Kahu)
  • metrociity
    Options
    I just started taking Healtheries Naturally Slim Thermogenic Fat Burner... too early to tell if it works
  • dixnshae
    dixnshae Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Been checking out my nutrient analysis weekly on MFP and really am short on iron, calcium and vit C in my diet., time to start popping the multivites....