Thinking while running

Options
I just finished week one. Towards the end of the runs I find myself thinking about nothing but "When can I walk again?" which makes it miserable. Am I the only one? Does this voice ever go away so I can enjoy it?

Replies

• opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. Looking back, week 1 was probably the hardest so far... I could get to about 45 seconds of running before my lungs were burning and I thought I was going to pass out. I just ran for 8 minutes yesterday... twice! I think if you stick with it and don't try to push yourself too hard, you'll be fine. Just don't give up! Every step is a victory!!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I felt that way for all of week one. I actually did an extra day of week one because I changed apps after I didn't like the one I used on the first day. I totally recommend using an audible cue rather than looking at a clock. That has helped me the most.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    that voice and I have become intimately acquainted!
    I think part of what I have come to love about running is the end when every part of me wants to quit and somewhere I find a voice that screams back. That voice has become so strong lately that it even starts challenging me in other parts of my life where I need it.
    Who knew I had a fighter in me? lol...
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just finished week one. Towards the end of the runs I find myself thinking about nothing but "When can I walk again?" which makes it miserable. Am I the only one? Does this voice ever go away so I can enjoy it?

For me, it got easier when the intervals got longer. Everyone is afraid of the 20-minute run at the end of week 5. But, I found it easiest because I got an endorphin high and lost track of time.

Right now, your muscles and ligaments and everything are getting used to running. It will get easier and I think you'll find the longer the intervals, the less you'll think about how you want it to end.
  • bcereuskk
    bcereuskk Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks guys! Glad to know I'm not alone. I did w2d1 yesterday and that voice was definately quieter than before.