Tell me your experience with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and wha

Options
ArtsyGeekette
ArtsyGeekette Posts: 29 Member
I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Up until five years ago, I was moderately active, could eat what I wanted and had great energy. I was curvy at 180lbs, give or take and had a lust for life. :drinker:

Long story short, I became hypothyroid from the result of chemo and radiation about five years ago after kicking Ovarian Cancer in the *kitten*. Unfortunately, the treatments also shut off my thyroid function (as I later found out.) I slowly started gaining weight and couldn't figure out why (up until a few months ago, when it was explained to me) It became harder and harder to lose weight, if any at all. I was gaining 5-10lbs a month and did everything I knew of at the time to keep it at bay. I was put on a 800 calorie diet to a 1800 calorie diet, and tried everything from Jenny Craig, Eating Clean to Weight Watchers. I've tried every shake, supplement, pill and exercise and wanted to explode from frustration: "Why is it so hard to lose weight!?"

Last year I then I went on Keto through the advice of my doctor (extreme low carb, high animal fat and moderate protein) and dropped 20 lbs with ease. Then I started gaining again after leaving my stressful job to unfortunately go to another one and couldn't lose. My boyfriend has lost 91 lbs with calorie restriction, simple exercise and I did the same. I gained even more weight when I tried to follow his regime. I feel like I am stuck in a fat-suit nightmare. I will admit, Keto is hard to go into cold-turkey from being brainwashed into thinking you need lots of carbs. I'll go back once I get the hang of Low Carb/Paleo.

I finally found an endo that would listen to me and not judge me by my weight, thinking I'm just lazy and not willing to change. My previous endo would up my Synthroid and tell me my labs were fine. I had no idea the labs shouldn't be the end-all of your treatment, and your endo should focus on your symptoms. My new endo works with me, talks with me and is open to using Armour. She did tell me she isn't thrilled at using it but is willing to let me try it soon. :smile:

In the meanwhile, she told me to try Nutri-Meds and keep a log of how I feel, weight loss and calorie via macro nutrient intake. Nutri-Meds Porcine Thyroid Supplement is weak compared to Armour/Efra but I feel a bit of a difference now taking it for a month. My basal body temp is becoming more normal but I still get a spike in temp at evening/night, yet that's when i feel the most pain.

Today, I am at 367 lbs from 368lbs as I finally kept off a pound for this week by going Paleo/Low Carb and with the use of Nutri-Meds. The supplements I take are Vitamin C, Super Complex B (liquid), Selenium, and Centrum Complete (chew-able) with the fattiest meal of the day for optimal absoprtion and 8 hours apart from my other medication, just to be safe. I use the community called Reddit, and they are informative, funny and open-minded. My protein and fat come from animal sources and I cook all my vegetables except for lettuce and anything pickled, in coconut oil. Seriously, upon the discovery of coconut oil has changed my digestive IBS woes into a normal state again. This stuff is amazing tasting on meats and vegetables and even more so, the liver utilizes the "fat" as energy immediately instead of storing it due to it being a Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT.) It is found in food like avocadoes, nuts and cold-water fish (think Sardines, Salmon.)

Believe it or not, fat is good for you and especially for us women. I used to avoid it like the plague when I was gaining weight. My dietician explained to me that dietary fat (animal, nut and fruit-based oils) supports healthy brain, organ, vein, hormone and tissue function. Going low fat is much akin to killing yourself slowly. Keep your fat at 40-60% of your daily calories: you'll be surprised at how your mental fog lifts! I was taking Xanax and Zoloft, I no longer have to take them and enjoying even, logical moods! Menstrual Cramps are nil and my hair isn’t falling out anymore. Yay! If any of your are consuming soy and feel like crap, ditch it immediately. Also, do yourself a favor and get rid of your vegetable/palm oil products. They oxidize quickly and have an inflammatory effect on your body when consumed. Stay away from hydrogenization as well. I know, reading labels suck but you get good at it when your well-being depends on it.

As for medication, I am hoping to go on Armour or Efra (Canadian brand of desiccated thyroid.) by the 18th of April and start feeling better soon. I know there will be an adjustment period. I currently take the supplement by Nutri-Meds "Porcine Thyroid Supplement" that is whole desiccated thyroid. The capsule is 130mg and I take them with a meal as a whole capsule and alternate days with taking it sublingually (open it up, sit underneath the tongue for 30 seconds with a small amount of water, then swallow.) This has been a big difference in energy and less body pain from Hashimoto's. I still get a bit of adrenal fatigue here and there.

I take the Nutri-Meds supplement 4 hours apart from my Synthroid. Because of my weight, my endo has put me on 237mg and doing my research when I start Armour.

**From what I have read on Armour conversion, 1 grain is 74mg of replacement thyroid hormone. Please keep in mind that T3 is four times as potent as T4.
Multiply the 9 mcg of T3 times 4 ( that would be 36)

Then add that number (36) to the 38 mcg of T4: 36 mcg (9 mcg of T3 times 4) + 38 mcg of T4 = 74mg

So the end result is 74 mcg. The conversion for 1 grain (60 mg) of Armour equals approximately 74 mcg of T4 (Synthroid)

For better info, please go to http://drumlib.com/dp/000016.htm - it has a conversion chart for those who can't math sometimes. :bigsmile: (I'm one of those on my bad Hashi days.)

I also use Natural Progesterone cream (20mg) to help with low progesterone, as Hashimoto’s patients who are overweight can benefit from it. It helps my skin stay clear and keeps leg edema at bay.

Exercise is moderate to light due to pain but trying hard to keep active. Swimming is my next step to keep the joints from wearing out. I'm only 31 and I feel like I am 91 some days. :sick:

Thank you all for reading. I look forward to reading your stories!

Replies

• ArtsyGeekette
    Options
    LOL I just looked at my title and it didn't post completely. It should read,

"Tell me your experience with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and what you are doing to take control of your unique situation."
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum -- I don't know anything about the conversion from Synthroid over to natural desiccated thyroid -- I was only on 88 mcg of Synthroid and I am on 1.5 grains a day of Armour. But what's more important is that most of my hypo/hashi symptoms are disappearing after 3 months on Armour. I had high Reverse T3, which is now gone. I had very high cholesterol, which is now normal. I was taking blood pressure medicine, which I am no longer taking. And best of all, I lost 10 pounds!!

I did go gluten-free and dairy-free in January, 2012 - at the same time I started on Armour. I also try to eliminate sugar and grains from my diet (except for sugar that comes from fruit and veggies). I really feel that I will always be gluten and dairy free - this isn't a diet to me, this is how I will eat so that I can stay fit and healthy.

I am not familiar with Nutri-Meds - but I do also only cook with coconut oil I put coconut milk (unsweetened) in my coffee and use only Stevia as a sweetener - artificial sweeteners are not good for us.

I am addicted to exercise - even if you can find a way to do a short walk - say 15 minutes - you will start to feel better. You have youth on your side -- so do get control of your thyroid and your weight while you are young -- I am post-menopausal and it's double trouble to lose weight at my age!!

Let us know how you are doing -- and keep logging your food!! It's important to hold yourself accountable for what you put in your mouth. We might not lose weight easily, but we're like everyone else - if we eat poorly we gain weight!

Terri
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi, I agree with Tecallahan on everything, but recently I cut out dairy and meat and breads and grains, etc. I HAD to do this because I wasnt losing in several months!! I workout regularly and eat good. I have lost a few lb and Ive been on this new lifestyle change for 14 days(I did eat some dark chocolate, and a few bites of pasta) But You cant do that when you have Hashi's you have to eat only healthy things and not a lot of it either. I started on Levo. 25mg. in Nov. My TSh keeps going up every time!! Now Im on 88 mg and still feel like it hasnt changed much, it was 8.2 in March. I dont believe that upping our meds everytime is going to help with weight gain, and all the other horrible symptoms, so I took my health in my own hands and am eating only fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, and a little bit of olive oil in my salad sometimes. I hope you will take this in your hands do research and find out what helps us Hashi sufferers feel our best, lose weight and help with our TSH, and other levels go down. Raw food has healed many people with cancers, MS, Hashi's, and other auto-immune disorders. most people say well I COULDNT do that ! But hey when you feel and look like I do/did you start to get very depressed and need to do what it takes to GET YOUR LIFE BACK. I also cut out artificial sweeteners , and I used them a lot! Exercise is your new best friend.I got diagnosed last summer after having my 4th child, I was very concerned since I wasnt losing any baby weight... I want to lose 25-30 lb. or whatever looks good! Add me if you want some support! I know what your going thru, and it is possible to feel better!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Hi, I agree with Tecallahan on everything, but recently I cut out dairy and meat and breads and grains, etc. I HAD to do this because I wasnt losing in several months!! I workout regularly and eat good. I have lost a few lb and Ive been on this new lifestyle change for 14 days(I did eat some dark chocolate, and a few bites of pasta) But You cant do that when you have Hashi's you have to eat only healthy things and not a lot of it either. I started on Levo. 25mg. in Nov. My TSh keeps going up every time!! Now Im on 88 mg and still feel like it hasnt changed much, it was 8.2 in March. I dont believe that upping our meds everytime is going to help with weight gain, and all the other horrible symptoms, so I took my health in my own hands and am eating only fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, and a little bit of olive oil in my salad sometimes. I hope you will take this in your hands do research and find out what helps us Hashi sufferers feel our best, lose weight and help with our TSH, and other levels go down. Raw food has healed many people with cancers, MS, Hashi's, and other auto-immune disorders. most people say well I COULDNT do that ! But hey when you feel and look like I do/did you start to get very depressed and need to do what it takes to GET YOUR LIFE BACK. I also cut out artificial sweeteners , and I used them a lot! Exercise is your new best friend.I got diagnosed last summer after having my 4th child, I was very concerned since I wasnt losing any baby weight... I want to lose 25-30 lb. or whatever looks good! Add me if you want some support! I know what your going thru, and it is possible to feel better!

You go girl!! You are young and strong and Hypo/Hashi should not steal your happiness!! You may want to read Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman -- I actually tried this and I felt great, but you have to find a way to get around the soy - he uses a lot of it for protein. And our thyroid doesn't do well with Soy. He's also gluten, dairy and meat free. Some great recipes in the book.

Terri
  • tecallahan
    Options
    You may also want to try Waldon Farms Salad Dressings - gluten/dairy free and ZERO calories!! They have a great ranch and honey mustard. You may also want to try cooking with coconut oil and using coconut or almond milk - the unsweetened ones are very low calorie and you will still get calcium.

Also, Brazil Nuts are loaded with selenium -- which we usually need for our thyroid -- but only eat 2 per day - they have 33 calories each!

For depression you can try 5-htp (any pharmacy). For insomnia and constipation, I highly recommend Natural Calm (I buy it online).

While you guys are waiting for Armour or other meds, these over-the-counter items are very helpful.
  • ArtsyGeekette
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone! I've made some lifestyle changes and now exercising at least 15-20 minutes a day outside of work. Starting to feel better dropping most of the junk from my diet. :)

@tecallahan: I did find out my Vitamin D levels are in the basement-level category, even though I've been taking my lunch outside to get sun when possible. I was put on 55K IU weekly of Vitamin D3 by my endo. I just did a quick look at the ingredients on Walden Farms and they seem to jive with what I can eat without feeling like crap. I am ordering some of their products tonight. Luckily, I have not had an auto-immune response to whole, unprocessed wheat (amazing as it sounds, I'm lucky that way), brown rice, couscous, quinoa, sprouted grains or coconut. I do use coconut oil when I can, otherwise I use bacon fat, beef tallow and unsalted butter for cooking/baking. Since going natural as possible, I feel much better. I am starting to get rid of the fatigue I was experiencing even with a diet soda or using Splenda in my coffee. No more artificial sugars for me.

Brazil nuts are tasty and haven't had them in a while. I do take a Selenium 200mg supplement now along with my chewable multi-vitamin. Might have to stock up :)

@Bridget281527: Thanks for the tip on artificial sweetners! I have switched to Sweet Leaf Stevia, Xylitol and Palm Sugar. I was also told to try Raw, unflitered honey sparingly with white or green Matcha tea by my dietician for cleansing. So, the lifestyle change is going to be a big one for me but so far I've lost 4lbs in a week with calorie counting and cutting out as much processed foods/drinks as possible in addition to writing everything down. I don't expect this rate to continue forever or even again, but as long as I am losing at least 5.0lbs a month, I will take it as a victory.

As for Raw eating, I might try juicing vegetables as consuming most raw vegetables gives me horrible IBS. Even at my healthiest weight, raw vegetables effected my intestinal health greatly. I cook almost all my vegetables and pair it with protein when I can.

I was also put on Armour today (150mg = approx. 2 grains.) and feel a bit dizzy. Going to lay down and see if I feel better in an hour.

Keep the stories/advice coming! I'm interested in what people have to say! :)
  • cesplaisirs
    Options
    ArtsyGeekette, I've had a very similar experience to yours...the new endo is willing to let me try Armour, maybe next month. I wondered what kind of pain you've had... my tendons and joints in my lower legs and feet tend to get very inflamed, which has slowed down my running quite a bit. :(
  • tecallahan
    Options
    When you guys talk about cramps and pains in your legs, I should mention that I had horrific leg and feet pain for many years -- and bouts of plantar fasciatis in my feet. My thyroid was making my cholesterol levels go high and in addition to 15 years on Synthroid, I spent 15 years on Lipitor. I was never sure if the thyroid disease caused my leg pains or if the Lipitor was doing it, since statins have a known side effect of pooling in your muscles and causing cramping and pain.

Anyway, in January when I started on the Armour, my Naturopath told me to stop taking the Lipitor. My cholesterol is now Normal after only 3 months on Armour. And best of all, my leg pains are gone -- I'm now doing the C25K running program and my legs and feet don't hurt!!

So, not sure exactly if it was getting off of statins or getting on Armour - but something to think about. If you are on cholesterol medicine, it is bad stuff - very toxic.

Terri
  • ArtsyGeekette
    Options
    @tecallahan &cesplaisirs: I have been on Armour for about two weeks and I feel a big difference in the pain I used to feel. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say I'm now around a 2-3, but manageable. I take a calcium, magnesium, selenium and Super B complex supplement with lunch/dinner and try to eat natural potassium (think avocadoes, bananas, coconut water) when I can. I make guacamole with lime/lemon (depending what I have on hand), thick salsa (Herdez is delicious and light) and if I am not in the mood for tomatoes/onions, I add a tablespoon of ranch powder to 3 avocados and mash it until creamy. It's great by itself, mixed in with shredded chicken or as a spread for a wrap.

I also take Vitamin D3 as a fish oil supplement or try to get it from natural sources like Sardines, Mushrooms and cold-water fatty fish. Since cutting out most soda/flavor drinks to once a week, I do feel better overall.

Now I just have to get over the 2:30pm-3pm slump I've been experiencing for a month. I get decent sleep, don't wake up too tired as long as I get 7-8hours nightly. To counter the effects, I have been eating a snack for around 100-200 calories with water and a 500mg vitamin C tablet followed by a short walk seems to help. I'd love to nap but my job has deadlines at that time of day. :(

When my pain is unbearable, it's ice, aleve, rest and elevation when possible.
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing your story. I'm hypo and currently on an average of 240 synthroid. yeah I know. I try hard to loose weight, but seem to loose only water and muscle, we are predisposed to try to keep our fat.

I believe that I may have Hashi's mainly because of my large dose of medication. I have had blood work done, t3 and t4 but I feel like I fight my MD for tests. I asked for a glucose tolerance test and she would only approve an A1C, not the same thing.

I think now i may have to try an endocrinologist in order to figure out my metabolism woes. I believe that armour thyroid could be helpful.

I'm glad that you finally found someone who can help you. I know what it's like to watch your weight spiral out of control! Fight the good fight..I hope you feel better!