Week 2 Discussion (R2)

Options
RachVR6
RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
I need to get back into the groove. I must meal plan and prepare food ahead of time. What I'm doing now is NOT working!

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I sit down and plan out every week what we're having and I force myself to stick to it even when I don't want to cook. Especially when i don't want to cook.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm here to cheer you ladies on, but I won't be taking part in the WIs this round. I had the rug pulled out from under me at work and I need to focus more on work and stop obsessing about food. I took a week to clear my head and I'm feeling better about things. Hoping in a couple of weeks I'm back in the game.

Keep up the great work! You know that you can do it!!!
  • RachVR6
    Options
    I'm here to cheer you ladies on, but I won't be taking part in the WIs this round. I had the rug pulled out from under me at work and I need to focus more on work and stop obsessing about food. I took a week to clear my head and I'm feeling better about things. Hoping in a couple of weeks I'm back in the game.

Keep up the great work! You know that you can do it!!!

*hugs* You're more than welcome to jump back in at any point!
  • RachVR6
    Options
    I sit down and plan out every week what we're having and I force myself to stick to it even when I don't want to cook. Especially when i don't want to cook.

That's a good idea. I'm the master of laziness when it comes to cooking. This would help me with shopping too, and not wandering around the store saying 'What do you want to eat? What sounds good?' back and forth with Chris.

Oh and I found out our farmer's market opens May 5th! YAY!
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Goals: get at LEAST 90 min cardio in
    Do 30ds 4-5 times
    Watch the sodium and water intakes
    Try not to stress eat. I have a big week ahead and my uncles 70th birthday party on Saturday... Be good, Katie!

I think my fiancé and I need to sit down and meal plan a bit too.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    We used to do that too. I planned out the entire month of April. We've strayed only two or three times. it's so much easier to just be like: "Okay, it's Tuesday, we're having chicken, brown rice, steamed veggies" or whatever, ya' know. I got on eatbetteramerica.com and pick out stuff from there.
  • loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My goal is to do 30DS as many days as possible this week. I fell last week and wiped out hard on the sidewalk and felt like I got hit by a truck so I didn't exercise at all until yesterday. I have also upped my calories and have changed my approach to this whole thing, so we'll see how it works in the next couple of weeks. What I have been doing has not been working, so I needed to try something new. I hope it works!

Oh yeah, I need to meal plan better too. Not sure I have the funds to stock up this week though. Might be winging it another week.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    i've been so out of the loop ladies. :( Rach - if possible could i rejoin? Finally seem to be back on the wagon - and relearning what it's like to have self control!
  • RachVR6
    Options
    i've been so out of the loop ladies. :( Rach - if possible could i rejoin? Finally seem to be back on the wagon - and relearning what it's like to have self control!

Of course!
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    On meal planning:

Every week or two I sit down and plan about 5-6 meals. I go through my Vegetarian Times and a favorite cookbook or two (Williams Sonomas Eat Well is a wonderful one), maybe some websites (Oh She Glows, Post Punk Kitchen), and look at a spreadsheet I have of favorite meals and notes. I pick out a series of meals I think will be exciting, usually focusing on a main dish and then dreaming up a side or a soup to go with it. Armed with a thorough grocery list I hit the store. I find the list is the most invaluable tool I've had in weight loss, as I'll still grab an impulse item or two (a tasty and healthy snack or something on sale I know I'll use in the future), but it is NOWHERE near what I used to do. I'm usually out of the grocery store in about 45 minutes. I use a list app on my phone to track everything and have a couple items I never delete, cans of beans and frozen fruit. I drink a lot of smoothies for breakfast and always check for sales on frozen fruit. I'm a vegan and use canned beans frequently as a time saver or for a protein add in at lunch time. I stock up when I find a sale. I then cook whatever meal excites me most or the one that I feel will use up the smartest veggies first (ones that are starting to look a little soft or I know will need to be used first). While picking out recipes and making the list takes a little time up front, it keeps me going with a huge variety of food, helps build up my database of recipes my family and I love, and saves time in the long run, as I don't need to hit the store for another week or two (depending on the leftovers, how many nights I end up busy instead of being able to cook, and how much I want to just work on pantry clearing). Oh, I also always pick up ingredients for a few stand-by meals. I have bags of frozen mixed veggies in my freezer, and frozen tofu (it changes the texture when you freeze it) and some homemade seitan, my cans of beans, and I always have onions, carrots, and celery in the house. With this I can always avoid hitting the store for another night by either making a stir-fry, a hearty soup, or some interesting bean salads. Meat-eaters could always do the same with a bag of frozen chicken or what have you. Having a list and plan has also helped me cut down on the grocery budget. My family has less wasted food as well. If I know I won't be using a veggie again in my planned meals, I toss it into a salad most of the time.

Having meals planned has also helped me with food planning on a daily basis. I eat my breakfast, and while I'm entering and tracking that, I enter my dinner. If I see breakfast was 300 calories, and dinner will be 500, I know what I have to play with between lunch and snacks, rather than trying to figure out a dinner I can feed my family that will fill them up while keeping my calorie count down.

To the ladies who need a break, I hope life calms down for you shortly, MFP will be right here when you can get back in the swing of things. Don't add beating yourself up to the list of things you need to do! Just try to think about making healthier choices still, like limiting excess fats and sugars, even if you aren't perfect you're still trying your best. To the ladies coming back, welcome back to working on you!

My goals for this week are to continue on c25k, last week was wonderful and exhilarating, but I woke up to rain for two days straight now. I know I'll be walking a lot on Friday and Saturday, so I'm not toooooo worried about it, but I'd like to try and get week 2 in this week to be ready for week 3 next week! If I end up doing week 2 twice, it isn't the end of the world, but I'm not going to let myself slip! Outside of that I'll keep on eating healthy, watching my calories and I'll be starting on some upper body work, with a focus on core and arms.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Started 30 day shred this morning ... not bad and i managed to keep up which i was most impressed about ... felt absolutely buggered but the end of it and felt a lot longer than 20 minutes ... oh well day one down ... 29 to go aagghh!!!!
  • jilleencaizzi
    jilleencaizzi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Keeping my goals simple this week. I need to get back on track last week was school vacation and I didn't make the best food choices. I did stay under on most days but I didnt eat the best foods! I prepped fruits and veggies for the next few days and bought a 56oz waterbolttle(I've been drinking two a day) . I'm ready and fully focused this time around!! Hopefully I lose at least 10lbs this round!! Stay strong and focused ladies we can do this!!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Have to really watch the food this week since will be lacking in exercise due to work and injury... and it's going to be tough.... Going to be away from the lab for the next three days due to being at workshops for work. Not too worried about the food since I will have to bring my own lunch (none of the people running the workshops have acknowledged that I am limited because of food allergies- they usually supply sandwiches and I am allergic to wheat.)

Don't know that I can give any suggestions about what to do to organize for food, being single and hating to cook just for me (give me a group, I'm in cooking heaven) I have to struggle some nights to just go home for supper rather than stop at Chipotle's or someplace that has gluten free food to get supper. I just came up with a Thai stir fry today (also allergic to soy so no soy sauce) that turned out to be really yummy and was 465 cals!
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It's cold and rainy today, so it's been a lazy day. The same excuse I used yesterday.

Tomorrow it's time to regroup. I need to plan/cook my meals in advance and be consistent with my exercise. At least I'm doing more this past week overall.
  • anvy0530
    anvy0530 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I've been really out of it for the past couple of weeks. My dog (a 5 year old Bernese Mountain Dog named Sofie) got sick quite suddenly and then it took 2 weeks of constant vet visits and tests and her going down hill fast before they discovered that she had an aggressive and (at that point) untreatable form of lymphoma. We had to put her to sleep last Tuesday (only a week ago) and my family has been a mess ever since. I know that for some people pets are just pets but she was "people" to us and, more than that - she was family.

Suffice it to say, eating right has been difficult. Surprisingly, exercising hasn't been difficult at all. I've been using my running workouts as therapy. I pop my sunglasses on, pick the least traveled paths in the woods and just run and cry until I'm exhausted. But today I am picking myself back up and trying to figure out what life without her looks like. I'm logging my food and planning my meals. I'm also supposed to be cleaning my house as my In-laws are coming for a 12 day visit next week (we live in Germany and they are State-side so we haven't seen them in a couple of years)- so far that hasn't happened yet.
  • amcmillan730
    Options

Of course!

did you restart a chart? I was 219.2 on Sunday
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    Decided starting this week i needed to add some jogging/elliptical into my gym schedule... so i couldn't make excuses.... and then I fell down the stairs at work yesterday. the only thing I hurt was my shins... but theyre pretty black and blue, and i have an egg on one. So... there goes my running plan! I'm hoping to get on the elliptical tonight, because I'm thinking the less impact the better. Normally I get into a routine, and something happens and I fall apart. I can't let that happen... i lost 2.8 lbs last week... just need to modify.

on the other hand... my bf was being nice and bought me a wegman's wrap for lunch today. SO sweet. Except for the fact that its 550 calories. Now I HAVE to go to the gym! haha
  • GingerRogered
    GingerRogered Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies

One thing I've really been struggling with is mind over matter. I look at foods and think "oh well I'll just have it" even though i know it's terrible for me.

So to combat these lazy and flesh oriented thoughts I've put myself on a "Sexy Diet" I simply look at food and think "Is it going to make me Sexy?" and if so i eat it.

I'll still continue to log on MFP to track my progress but I'm actually starting to incorperate a healthier life style with each of my meals. Also I'm not terribly worried about fat content, sugar content sodium etc, i know all that is important but not as important as training my body to like "Sexy" foods rather than crap.

don't get me wrong, I know measuring exact quantaties and daily intake is really important I'll still keep a track of my calories I'm just trying to get healthy by making good decisions a part of my lifestyle rather than being lazy and eating junk food and 'cheating' as often as I have been.

Any one else want to forget the exact figures and join me on a Sexy Diet?

Erin.
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I keep teeter tottering back and forth with the same 2 pounds! UGH! I really need to kick it into gear and break this!
  • RachVR6
    Options
    I've started my detox today. Limited coffee and caffeine, no foods with added sugar if possible, no processed grains, no dairy/cheese. Lots of fruits, veggies, nuts, brown rice, beans, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. I'm going to stick to it as best I can with the budget I have. :drinker: