I Woke up Gay

Options
13»

Replies

• Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Treetop - I remember reading about this older brother theory in a book a few years ago... Genome by Matt Ridley. It was only a small chapter in the book, but worth reading if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genome-The-Autobiography-Species-Chapters/dp/185702835X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335258361&sr=8-1
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'll take a look. Thanks!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Interesting... very very interesting. I love documentaries anyways - so this is right up my alley.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to know how many older brothers he has. (The present theory being that the greater the number of older brothers, the greater the chance a man will be gay. Something to do with maternal hormones in utero.)

I also wonder about the length of his fingers! (Or has that whole theory been debunked?)

"It has been suggested by some scientists that the ratio of two digits in particular, the 2nd (index finger) and 4th (ring finger), is affected by exposure to androgens e.g. testosterone while in the uterus and that this 2D:4D ratio can be considered a crude measure for prenatal androgen exposure, with lower 2D:4D ratios pointing to higher androgen exposure. The 2D:4D ratio is calculated dividing the length of the index finger of the right hand by the length of the ring finger. A longer index finger will result in a ratio higher than 1, while a longer ring finger will result in a ratio of less than 1.

The 2D:4D digit ratio is sexually dimorphic: in males, the second digit tends to be shorter than the fourth, and in females the second digit tends to be the same length or slightly longer than the fourth."

Taken from Wikipedia, but this is what I had always heard! I don't know if I believe it, but I use it works for me and is amusing. My ring finger is significantly longer than my point, allegedly indicating high levels of testosterone in utero which has been correlated with gayness.

Seems a little far-fetched, doesn't it? I personally file this alongside the big nose/big feet/big hands theory, palm reading, and phrenology.

It does seem like a load of bunk. That being said, I have to laugh because my 4th digit is longer than my 2nd on my left hand and they're the same length on my right hand, and I'm bi. :laugh:
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    So i googled the story and read it... I want to call BS on it. I think it's a "closeted, lifes to short to hide who i am after a traumatic incident.." but this comment cracks me up! Trolling done well!

Been banging my head on a brick wall since I read this. I hope I wake a up a millionaire tomorrow.
    - Boshboy, Weybridge, UK, 09/11/2011 20:17
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Wow! Fascinating.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    So i googled the story and read it... I want to call BS on it. I think it's a "closeted, lifes to short to hide who i am after a traumatic incident.." but this comment cracks me up! Trolling done well!

Been banging my head on a brick wall since I read this. I hope I wake a up a millionaire tomorrow.
    - Boshboy, Weybridge, UK, 09/11/2011 20:17

:laugh:
  • jaxxwalker
    jaxxwalker Posts: 18
    Options
    I watch this programme and it annoyed me - I wasn't gay until I had a stroke like it's some sort of brain damage or a disabilaty.

Some people are gay........get over it. X