Color Run - D.C. - Sept. 22nd

Options
I'm using this as motivation to do the C25K program and to keep running afterward. This looks like too much fun to pass up!

WHO'S IN?

info here: http://thecolorrun.com/
sign up for email/twitter/facebook/pinterest updates here: http://thecolorrun.com/washington-dc/ (to find out when registration opens)

For those who don't feel like following the links:

What is the Color Run?
The Color Run is a one of a kind experience that is less about speed and more about enjoying a color crazy day with your friends and family. Our events, are all about people of all different speeds, ages, shapes, and sizes toeing the start line. Whether you are a casual morning mall walker or an Olympic athlete, the 3 miles of the Color Run course will be the most enjoyable real estate you’ve traveled in a VERY long time. You will love this Color Dash of fun!

How does it work?
The Color Run pretty much has 2 SIMPLE rules. 1. White shirts (any mostly white T will work great) mandatory at the start line and 2. Color plastered EVERYTHING at the finish! Runner/walkers begin the 5k at the start line like a brand new pristine coloring book, they end looking like they fell into a Willy Wonka… tie dyed… vat of colored goodness.

What is the Color?
Each kilometer of the event is associated with a designated color. 1k is yellow, 2k is blue, 3k is green, 4k is pink, and the 5k finish is a “Color Extravaganza.” As the runners/walkers hit the Kilometer COLOR RUN Zones, they will be blitzed by our volunteers, sponsors, and staff with COLOR. The color is a special “elf made” recipe of magical color dust. All products are 100% natural and safe. You can eat the stuff if you’d like (we have tried it and don’t suggest it, it is surprisingly high in calories and leaves a chalky aftertaste).

What about the finish line?
I think we can safely say our finish line is the best post-5k party on the PLANET. After the finish, participants are encouraged to stick around, get Down, and see exactly how much COLOR their individual person can contain. We will have bands, food, color, and festivities that will make your color powdered head spin.

Replies

• pinto_bean
    pinto_bean Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My friends and I are doing this... can't wait!
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I am so doing this! I've been checking the website all the time for when registration opens!
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    i just signed up for their "VIP" email list and started following them on twitter.

if i do both of those things, i SHOULDNT miss registration opening.........

...shouldnt....
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    Sounds like fun. I wanted to start the C25K program anyway. This is some extra motivation.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun. I wanted to start the C25K program anyway. This is some extra motivation.

I really want to start running but Im afraid of ruining my knees. I was hoping that if I focus on weight loss and cardio now, I can start the plan 11 weeks before the run so I have some extra time than the 9 week plan.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have been checking it periodically & plan on registering. Hopefully I wont miss the registration date. I do not plan on trying to "race" or beat my time on this one.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options

I really want to start running but Im afraid of ruining my knees. I was hoping that if I focus on weight loss and cardio now, I can start the plan 11 weeks before the run so I have some extra time than the 9 week plan.

That is a good idea. I was planning on starting the program and just doubling the amount of time to complete it because I want incorporate running into a routine very slowly.

With running, incorporate it slowly and remember to stretch before and after your run. I have also heard that running with a heel strike is another big reason why it is so hard on the knees. If you land on the ball of your foot, you use other joints to absorb shock. Small strides and landing on the ball of your foot is supposed to reduce the shock force too. I read this article for some info.
    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/10-Tips-for-Injury-Free-Running.htm
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    i feared EXACTLY the same thing, and even tho i'm down 50lbs, i can definitely feel it in my hips and knees. BUT i've talked to my fit friends (formerly fat, now fit friends) that it's normal to feel that at first and as long as you are sure you have the right running shoes and take it easy (as GFreg said, incorporate slowly) then you shouldn't ruin them.

it's all about knowing your body. If it's uncomfortable, slow down and/or stop. find what's comfortable for YOU and do what YOUR body needs.

I'm FULLY planning on repeating every week of it because 1) i dont NEED to be able to run a 5k in 9 weeks and 2)i feel like if i take my time and work very hard on this, i will achieve my goals without injury!

(i'm accident prone, so any time my feet come off the ground i'm cautious and careful)

I'm DEFINITELY not planning on "racing" per se. If i'm doing this with a group of friends (which i better be! hint hint) then i'm going to just go ahead and keep pace with them. This is supposed to be fun! let's make it that way!