Why Women MUST Perform Strength Training to Lose Fat

Options
The more lean muscle tissue that you body has, the more calories you will burn at rest. This is what happens when we talk about increasing your metabolism. The long term goal is to have your metabolism at a high level constantly. That leads to fat loss. Why does this happen? Because lean muscle is a very active tissue and needs calories (energy) to burn at a much higher rate than fat.

Replies

• carlaj38
    carlaj38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I have some issues health wise and I was wondering if you could give me some strength training that would not hurt my right foot or the beginning stages of rheumatoid arthritis.
  • Veggie_Lo
    Options
    I've always been relatively thin. I'm currently 5'8 and 135-140 lb (depending on the time of day) and I exercise by running about 3 times a week. I am trying to incorporate strength training as I have never really had any muslce tone except when I was very thin, like 115 lb. I don't want to have to lose that much weight to get that tone, but I'm afraid that's the only way for me!!??
  • Angiebug1969
    Options
    Just an observation of personal experience... when I was strength training regularly, I was very toned... had nice definition... and was about 20 lbs lighter than I am now. However, over the past few years, I let go of strength training, and focused my time & energy on running, and bulding distance and endurance. I've run multiple trail races, many half marathons and two full marathons! However, I've lost quite a bit of my strength, and nearly all of my muscle definition... but gained the extra pounds (even though I could go pound out a 10 mile run any given day)!

So, I'm now back into lifting weights and working on regaining my tone & definition... I'm frustrated with myself that I neglected to keep that up & incorporated into my running schedule.
  • molsenrice
    molsenrice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes, strength training is a must in order to maintain your desired body composition (% of body fat). And, workouts don't need to take that much time. For most folks, a 3x per week 30-45 min session would make a noticeable difference--provided the person's diet/food intake was in line with the calories needed for weight loss or gain. Once could even tack on a 15 minute high intensity aerobic session after the strength training session to accelerate fat burning, if that was the goal.

Regardless, thanks for creating this group. I can't echo this point enough. As a former personal trainer, I've noticed this type of exercise is often neglected by many women. :( That's unfortunate as it's the most effective way to maintain a decent body comp (if your diet is in place) and for everyday strength--especially as we age. There's no way I'd be able to carry my 40 pound 3.5 year old boy up the stairs to his bed after he falls asleep if it weren't for my weekly barbell squats, push-ups, planks, etc. :)
  • InstructorLeake
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I have some issues health wise and I was wondering if you could give me some strength training that would not hurt my right foot or the beginning stages of rheumatoid arthritis.

Hi!, I would first consult with your doctor before beginning any exercise.
    Something you can do is push-ups, but wall Push- ups. Stand about 3 feet away from the wall and lean forward to put your hands on the wall. You can raise you right foot up to reveal the pressure and elbows outward as you lean forward and push back to starting position. Make sure your back does not have an arch. This is great for upper body strength.

Also yoga would be great as well.
  • InstructorLeake
    Options
    I've always been relatively thin. I'm currently 5'8 and 135-140 lb (depending on the time of day) and I exercise by running about 3 times a week. I am trying to incorporate strength training as I have never really had any muslce tone except when I was very thin, like 115 lb. I don't want to have to lose that much weight to get that tone, but I'm afraid that's the only way for me!!??

You are the perfect weight to begin strength training. Keep doing what you are doing and you will see results. Just remember to change your routine once a month.
  • InstructorLeake
    Options
    Just an observation of personal experience... when I was strength training regularly, I was very toned... had nice definition... and was about 20 lbs lighter than I am now. However, over the past few years, I let go of strength training, and focused my time & energy on running, and bulding distance and endurance. I've run multiple trail races, many half marathons and two full marathons! However, I've lost quite a bit of my strength, and nearly all of my muscle definition... but gained the extra pounds (even though I could go pound out a 10 mile run any given day)!

So, I'm now back into lifting weights and working on regaining my tone & definition... I'm frustrated with myself that I neglected to keep that up & incorporated into my running schedule.

Don't be frustrated. You said you are back to lifting weight and that is Great! So many people believe they have to start over, don't look at it like that, look at it as you are picking up where you left off. You will be toned in no time, your muscles remember.
    Keep training Hard!
  • InstructorLeake
    Options
    Yes, strength training is a must in order to maintain your desired body composition (% of body fat). And, workouts don't need to take that much time. For most folks, a 3x per week 30-45 min session would make a noticeable difference--provided the person's diet/food intake was in line with the calories needed for weight loss or gain. Once could even tack on a 15 minute high intensity aerobic session after the strength training session to accelerate fat burning, if that was the goal.

Regardless, thanks for creating this group. I can't echo this point enough. As a former personal trainer, I've noticed this type of exercise is often neglected by many women. :( That's unfortunate as it's the most effective way to maintain a decent body comp (if your diet is in place) and for everyday strength--especially as we age. There's no way I'd be able to carry my 40 pound 3.5 year old boy up the stairs to his bed after he falls asleep if it weren't for my weekly barbell squats, push-ups, planks, etc. :)

Wow! Thank you for your comment. It's Great Information,and women need to know that they MUST do strength training to lose weight, as well as healthy eating and cardio. You are right, women do neglect this, thinking they will look to masculine. But this is not true, if you are looking to tone.
  • Marmot12
    Options
    I have gone and done what Missionfitmom said, i focused more on running and diet and havent done much with my weights! So my weight loss seems to be at a stand still right now! So now i have joined this group and started following a weights workout 5 days a week! im hoping to see some improvement in my tonning and weight loss! fingers crossed!
  • Obatalatress
    Options
    Hey everyone, I started weight training again (I've been away for a while) I always knew that weight training burn fat and calories. Last night I worn my heart monitor during my workout which consist of: Db swings: 4-20-15, squat press: 4-15-30, mountain climbers: 4-40, Bicycles: 3-40, Db bicep curls: 4-10-30, Tricep pulldowns: 4-10-30 I worked out for 1hr and 11 mins, avg. 83%, max 100% calories 1305. Wow 1305 I burned more calories weight training than I doing cardio.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just wanted to say that nothing has ever changed my body comp as lifting heavy things did and still does for me. I do 3 days a week, full body workouts and the other two days I try whatever I like to try-kettlebells, body weight, tabata protocols.
  • Walks275
    Walks275 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great info! I myself have been shying away from strenth training and now after reading all of the posts I will deffinatley be going back to it.
  • natigarai
    natigarai Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty active but have been wanting to get more definition and more muscle lately. One of my friends suggested I start weight training, so here I am. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to get started. As I said I'm pretty active, I Play roller derby and have always been into working out to Dvds or on my own but when it comes to weights I need guidance!
  • deninevi
    Options
    Hi! When I first started heavy lifting I did New Rules of Lifting for Women-great program! You can check the book out from your library to see if it 's something you are interested in. The program is 6 months long, so that was great for me-everything laid out and all. Also, Strong lifts-google it, it's great program or Starting Strength. Good luck to you!
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi! When I first started heavy lifting I did New Rules of Lifting for Women-great program! You can check the book out from your library to see if it 's something you are interested in. The program is 6 months long, so that was great for me-everything laid out and all. Also, Strong lifts-google it, it's great program or Starting Strength. Good luck to you!
    I've been dabbling in a few selective leg machines and doing some DVD workout videos that use dumbbells for my strength training. Honestly, I don't know where to begin in the free weights area, but I know I should be there. I'm glad you suggested the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I had heard of the book, but I thought it was a broad overview, rather than a "program." I'm going to get it.
  • deninevi
    Options
    New Rules is great! I was scared of the free weights as well when I started because I had never lifted heavy things before than, but once you get in there and do the first 1-2 workouts , you get comfortable and just want to go again and again. And then the boys don't look at you like you are in the wrong area-not many people in my gym do deadlifts and squats with barbell. Don't be scared of the bar or the free weights room or the boys in there! You can do it!
  • Gwenefar2001
    Gwenefar2001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am very much a work in progress. I am not shy of free weights, cable weights or any of the machines at the gym.
    My end goal: I don't want to look like a body builder, but I do want defined muscles and to be strong. Should I be incorporating any particular supplements into my routine to achieve this? What kind of diet should I follow? I need to lose weight too, But not sure if I have to lose the weight before I concentrate on muscle, or if this can all work together.
  • do0obie_x
    do0obie_x Posts: 12
    Options
    So excited to be starting strength training on Saturday. I'm currently 141lb and am happy with my overall size but want to get rid of lots of body fat on my tummy bum and legs, hoping this will help! I'm also keen to build more muscle on my arms. :)
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am very much a work in progress. I am not shy of free weights, cable weights or any of the machines at the gym.
    My end goal: I don't want to look like a body builder, but I do want defined muscles and to be strong. Should I be incorporating any particular supplements into my routine to achieve this? What kind of diet should I follow? I need to lose weight too, But not sure if I have to lose the weight before I concentrate on muscle, or if this can all work together.

Get the book "New Rules of Lifting For Women." It's ALL in there - diet, routine, weight loss. And no - you won't look like a body builder unless you want to and take massive amounts of steroids! :)