High dose of prednisone

Options
pjboucher5
pjboucher5 Posts: 6 Member
Hello everyone....I had a major flare with my asthma 3 weeks ago and needed to bump my daily prednisone from my maintenance dose of 5mg up to 50mg. Now that my breathing is somewhat better, I am slowly starting to taper the prednisone, but it will take many weeks to get back down. It's soooo tough on this high of a dose to control my eating...unless you've taken this drug before you have NO idea about the uncontrollable urge to eat....let alone the bloating of the cheeks/neck/abdomen....oh well....I have started back to tracking my food and I hope it will give me pasue for thought in what I reach for, but I'm not going to beat myself up too badly about my choices!

Replies

• Deedledee2
    Deedledee2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. You will do great. With the positive is the energy you get. The hard part also is losing sleep. Its such a downer.
    I just got off my taper of pred and already starting to feel really tired and lazy. Its such lame sauce...I have been on predisone for 3yrs straight with little bits of a weeks break then I start having troubles breathing.
    You probably already have the tools to push through this. Just try everything you have to use them.
    Knowing what the problem is, is half the battle.
    Again hang in there... :0)
  • sailingsal
    sailingsal Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    HI

My consultant always said with the huge urge to eat to stick to foods low in calories to much on between meals. Foods like carrot and celery sticks and lettuce etc.

He said that the overwhelming urge to eat is tough but you need to choose the right foods. I found it tough but when you deal with eating celery you get board of it and it helps to ease urge to eat!