How to use MFP Daily calorie intake tool

Options
gerla_k
gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
Hi, I'm new on this website,
everyday i see that my Daily calorie intake varies- so in order to lose weight should i go below that number but above my BMR? My BMR is 1470 cal my Daily calorie intake is somewhere around 1800 . yesterday I ate around 1490 cals and the website gave me a warning that I am putting my body in the starvation mode , is that's why I'm not seeing any results on scale even though i workout 6 days a week?

Any suggestions ?

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised the site gave you a warning at 1490 calories...

MFP wants you to have your net calories at your calorie goal. So if you set your goal to lose 1 lb per week, and mfp gave you a calorie goal of 1500 for example. Then you would want your net calories to be 1500. So if you burn 300 calories through exercise, you would eat 1800. (1800-300=1500)

I hope that helps.
  • gerla_k
    Options
    Thanks so much! I was so confused this morning when I saw that warning- cuz i know that you have to eat really little calories like <1200 to put yourself into starvation mode.

I thought maybe i'm doing something wrong eating too little or smth because in 3 weeks i gained 4 lbs then lost 3 lbs , and I've been killing myself for 6 days a week. some days i'll workout twice a day, and not seing that scale going down - Hate my scale already :))) lol Lost couple of inches though, so it's not that bad :))

Good luck to you
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i know a lot of people are following the meal plan which is 1200 calories per day (after the workout, usually netting around 1000) - i watched a youtube podcast by jillian talking about starvation mode and how that depending on how much weight you have to lose, your body can handle going below 1200. i don't know how much weight you need to lose, but you should watch the video just for the info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meqvmEf6G04&amp;feature=BFa&amp;list=PLF2055267D76002F7&amp;lf=plpp_video
  • gerla_k
    Options
    theredcliche:> Thanks for the link- great onfo
    I am 73 kg right now- 5'9" i want to be around 65 kg, so I need to lose 8kg which i mostly carry in my lower body. Actually I 've noticed today that my arms and shoulders looked so toned. So i'm very happy about that !!! But my belly 's still there.... For sure gonna stick to the program for whole 90 days!!
  • jens_mission
    jens_mission Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Glad this topic came up and for the reply from NovemberJune. This is very helpful. I have been debating on what to go by. I moved to this site from sparkpeople.com. The tracking is very similar, but it wouldn't add in your calores burned.....so I wasn't eating more.
  • studswife
    studswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but I got a BodyMedia arm band thingy that Jillian has recommend. Her website now syncs with the BodyMedia website as well. It counts burned calories, calories, steps, shows what time of day I'm active, my sleep and sleep efficiency, it's a crazy little gadget.

Anyways, I need 2630 calories to maintain my weight, so I try for a deficiency of 1000 calories. So I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day. If I did 1000 - 1200 I would go in starvation mode big time!

My hubby worked on Biggest Loser and he said everyone was wearing it but didn't know what it was till I bought it.

I highly recommend checking it out. It really, really helps.