shoulder pain

Options
I guess I swam too much recently. With all those holiday foods, I was deperate to make sure I burn enough calories to make up for all the forbidden treats. I last swim last Tuesday -- usually swim 3 to 5 times a week but the last couple weeks, it been more like 5 or 6 times a week.

I am currently on Mobic on daily basis to control my chonic back pain (from car accient 12 years ago.) Mobic is an anti-antiflamtory med and it works very well to control my pains. Every now and then, if I need to, I can take naproxen without conflicting with Mobic and it works for the most part. Seems naproxen didln't help this time.

Anyone have any good home remedies that I can try before heading to doc?

Replies

• magdaleneg
    magdaleneg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about meds, but...

You said that you've been swimming more than regular lately so your shoulder may just be slightly overused. You can still do your workouts but just do things that avoid using your shoulder. Do you have a paid of fins? Put them on and swim with them to relieve the stress on your upper body. You could also do kick workouts, but instead of using a board, kick on your back with your arms at your side. Also, avoid free style and back stroke for a while. If the pain is still too much and doesn't get better after a week or so, it may be time to visit the doc again.

Hope it gets better soon!
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Update,, my arm is getting better,, not 100% better but getting there.. I am doing combo of swim/jog every 20 minutes so I won't overuse my arm.

Someone suggested kick board,, that a laugh cuz for some darn reason, I am NOT able to move if I kick! That's the reason I am jogging instead.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Very low weight shoulder exercises will help you immensely... and this is coming from someone that has had shoulder surgery due to swimming. Even as low of a weight as a can of beans. The movements are less about lifting and more about stabalizing. You can google a million different things to do.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    A person on my team had shoulder surgery last year and freestyle hurts him, so he does backstroke all the time instead, that might help :)

Otherwise I would suggested a hot bean bag to put on it, but I've never had shoulder problems myself.
  • Monkeylost
    Monkeylost Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you sit in a high back chair and sit as tall and straight as you can. Put your hands under your thighs palm up and lift your shoulders. My doctor advised me to do this as it is gentle and you have the resistance of your hand being under your leg not weights. Xxx
  • spottedlee
    Options
    A person on my team had shoulder surgery last year and freestyle hurts him, so he does backstroke all the time instead, that might help :)
    That what I do,, I so strictly backstroke because of an injury I got 12 years ago. Anything else, forget it.
    If you sit in a high back chair and sit as tall and straight as you can. Put your hands under your thighs palm up and lift your shoulders. My doctor advised me to do this as it is gentle and you have the resistance of your hand being under your leg not weights. Xxx
    Thank you but for my type of injury (thoracic outlet) from 12 years ago, I do corner "pushup" whenever I have a flare-up.

As I stated eariler, my shoulder is getting better, slowly but getting there. Today, I did 40 minutes straight and it didn't hurt! :bigsmile:
  • SmudgerSmithRhino
    Options
    Hi,

Are you swimming front crawl and only breathing on one side. I used to get a pain in my shoulder then read about bilateral breathing, (i.e. breathing on both sides). I started doing this and have not had any pain since.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ok much later - i hope your issue has been sorted, but in case not.....there is an interesting podcast with the australian swimming physio (i can get you more details if you want) - he was basically advocating good quality deep tissue massage for shoulder swimming pain, as, unless you release any muscle tension, injuries can reoccur

if you can afford it, I would certainly give this a go (I have had deep tissue massage for other injuries, and it can be amazing compared to other methods,,,)

when you deep water jog do you use floats/belt or not - I have tried it, without, and found it quite hard to keep my mouth high enough (!) at times
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Your stroke can stress your shoulder. Your Stroke Technique can make a big difference. For myself if I swim 'wider' and don't cross over under my stomach with a good high elbow, 'knock wood' my shoulder doesn't bother too much, but if I crossover then it does hurt.
    I'd recommend taking a class and or joining a Masters team to get coached on Your Stroke Technique
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using a pull bouy? I find that when my shoulder starts acting up (I've had shoulder issues for a couple years now) it can help to take some pressure off and I can continue swimming.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I have another question: Does the pain go away, or do you need to see a physio therapist?

The cause of my shoulder pain is overuse. I was having problems doing the front crawl because of back pain, and flipped over on my back, which was great. Except that I swam 90 min at a time without building up to it, and added sprints the first time too. So now the shoulder hurts whenever I raise my arm over my head.

Will the shoulder come back to normal on its own? Or is some intervention required.

I might add that I intend to keep on swimming, using the side-stroke, or a modified backstroke and breast stroke, until I can crawl again.

I have been trying to put my arm in next to my ear. Those who know strokes: is this the right way to do it?
  • maqabbas
    maqabbas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Shoulder pain is common in swimmers and most commonly result from Impingment of the tendons as the cross under the arch of the shoulder. Most commonly seen in frontcrawl and backstroke. I suufered with it and corrected it with strengthening the shoulder, better technique, ice packs after workout, stretching and regular physio. I tried to avoid taking medications as much as i can. I managed to avooid steroids injection. But the first step is to know what the problem is (diagnosis).
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was a college swimmer and just recently started competing in triathlons. Sometimes the pain is unbearable...
    icing and anti-inflammatory meds help, but unfortunately it's just part of the sport....
    Most of my teammates suffered from shoulder pain at one point
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I think my problem is too much too quick. I went from swimming 5 laps of backcrawl to doing 90 minutes and sprinting to boot! Right now I am babying it, avoiding both front and back crawl, and doing breast stroke and back stroke minimizing arm movement, but doing enough to stay afloat and move through the water.

From what I am getting here is that I need better technique, and a much slower build up in time.

For the time being, I want to avoid the doctor, and am wondering how much rest I need before it goes away.
  • arserine
    arserine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Grasette, you want to be putting your arm in about 6 inches in front of your face for crawl, but IN LINE with your shoulder, there are some great technique videos on youtube for this. I imagine that putting it right next to your shoulder would actually hurt a lot! Improper technique can really start to wear shoulders down and this is likely for you since the pain goes away with backstroke. New technique may feel weird or even bad at first, but in the long run it will probably help.

The best thing for my shoulders has been to rest, but if you feel the need to keep swimming, do things that are lower impact for your shoulders. Do some kicking exercises, (without a kickboard while in streamline on my back hurts my shoulders less but it's up to you), or swim with fins, especially short fins, on to alleviate the amount of work that your ams have to do. Feel free to add me or message me with specific questions!
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sadly, my life now prevents me from swimming enough to have shoulder pain. But when I did, I loved the cho pat upper arm band, it was a lifesaver.

http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/Cho-Pat-Upper-Arm-Strap-546p1661.htm

I don't work for them or have any affiliation, I am just a fan.