Prone Jackknife

Options
StarryEyed500
StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
Am I the only one who is physically unable to do these? I have tried each workout to get on the ball and hold myself off the floor but I simply can't do it. I have very little core strength (one of the reasons I started!) due to a CSection with my 1st child and split abs after my 2nd child.

I'm currently doing reverse crunches as that's the next exercise listed after the jackknife so I thought it would be similar. Not so sure now but I'm halfway through Stage 1 so want to get it right!

Replies

• Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump...saw this in the book today and Im sure I cant/wont be trying this in a crowded gym. I'll probably have to buy a ball for home to practice with!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I had to buy a ball for at home, and each day when I get home from work, I "practice" trying to stay on the ball. I have to honestly say, I am making improvements!! I started out immediately rolling off the ball as soon as I put my shins on it, now I can do 1 or 2 jackknifes before rolling off the ball.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    these can be hard. it doesnt help that you're also doing them on push up day either.

just keep at it and you'll get strong enough to do those and maybe eventually even the pike variation
  • tinkerbell42381
    tinkerbell42381 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    These are quite difficult, but I'm getting there! I find that for me slower is best, as I can concentrate and balance more easily when I take my time. I can now do 8 in a row, however I am nowhere close to looking like the picture (almost in handstand position when the ball is in!). Practice makes perfect :)
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I learned this from my cardio fit class. the class had a hard time keeping the ball in place... so were instructed tofind an "empty" wall.... propped the ball there... then set up (feet to the wall), then bring the ball in. It helped me a lot... since the ball was trying to roll away, go from side to side...at least with the wall, the ball was pinned down and I can try to move it towards my belly.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I spread my feet apart a little further to balance on the ball, and fell off twice the first time I tried them. The second time was better, and I think as long as you're making improvement, that's what matters most.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    It just takes practice. I suggest buying a ball and doing them at home if you're embarrassed to do them at the gym. I love this exercise! I do 3 sets of 15 for each workout. It's made a huge difference in the appearance of my abs.

Here's a video showing how to do them properly to get the greatest benefit/results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=2&feature=plpp_video
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do these on a carpeted section of the floor rather than on the smooth area so it helps keep the ball from rolling around too much. I wonder if you could try using a smaller ball and resting on your forearms rather than have your arms fully extended? Might give you some more stability.

My problem is these hurt my wrists. I might look into some lifting gloves with some more wrist support...
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do these on a carpeted section of the floor rather than on the smooth area so it helps keep the ball from rolling around too much. I wonder if you could try using a smaller ball and resting on your forearms rather than have your arms fully extended? Might give you some more stability.

My problem is these hurt my wrists. I might look into some lifting gloves with some more wrist support...

My wrists are my biggest problem now with these. Today I did them with my forearms on my step (with a towel over it). I didn't get my backside up as high this way, but it took the pressure off my wrists.
  • jshaps7
    Options

My wrists are my biggest problem now with these. Today I did them with my forearms on my step (with a towel over it). I didn't get my backside up as high this way, but it took the pressure off my wrists.

I was thinking of trying this or possibly using a couple hexagonal dumbbells (so they don't roll) and my hands stay in fists. Might try both! Thanks for the suggestion :)
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to get my bum up in the air at the moment, but just about managing 15 in a row. Not finding it particularly comfy on my wrists though =/
  • StarryEyed500
    Options

I might try a smaller one. Didn't know you could get them. Mine is 65cm I think.
  • jshaps7
    Options

I might try a smaller one. Didn't know you could get them. Mine is 65cm I think.

Are you exercising at home or at the gym? The gym should have a variety of sizes. I think the size you should use is based on your height (at least generally speaking... of course you can use a different size to go with your ability level).
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    I'm at home. Can't afford the gym so I'm getting a home gym set up for me and the boys (when they're older) lol
  • jshaps7
    Options
    Today I put a thick exercise mat under me and the ball during the jackknifes and it helped my wrists a lot! The cushioning of the mat also helped keep the ball from rolling.

So if you're putting together a home gym anyway, might want to give it a try? Could make using the 65cm ball much more successful :)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I had some trouble with these at first but this is how I finally got them:

1. If you are at home, try to deflate the ball a bit until you get the hang of it. The squishier it is the easier it is to stay on.

2. Use a foam mat under you and put your knees on the ball and walk forward on your hands until you are in the right position.

3. Make sure you have the right sized ball for you. You should be only slightly at an angle. I use the smallest one in the gym because I am not even 5 foot. I comes just about the mid thigh for me.

Hope this helps!
  • msesheta
    msesheta Posts: 29
    Options
    This is hard on my wrists too. I am placing the ball on my shins and not under my ankles until I get better at it. The further up your leg, the easier it is. I can still get my butt in the air and perform the motion but I don't fall off as much!

Shelley