New to Dairy Free

Options
hugapitbull
hugapitbull Posts: 5 Member
Hi all. I'm new to being dairy free (10 days) and new to the group. I have not had an official diagnosis, but am experimenting on my own to see if I can tell a difference being dairy free.

In just 2 days, I felt better. No indigestion, not as tired and fatigued feeling. I was hoping to find eliminating dairy would help me finally get the weight under control, feeling better is a great side effect! I'm having a bit of a problem keeping the sugar in an acceptable range, but am starting to do better.

I hope to find info and support here to keep the momentum going.

Replies

• claudublin
    claudublin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite dairy free at the moment, but trying to cut down. Using MFP to try and track my calcium intake, not easy considering there are different RDAs in Europe and USA! I have to get about 12-15 hundred milligrams per day at the moment. Considering dairy free because I have eczema, holding off because I have osteoporosis. My kids have skin problems, too, but also possibly genetic disposition for osteoporosis. They aren't keen on soy milk, and they have to get lots of calcium, too. They are one and three, so they aren't exactly keen on green leafy veg, either!! Any tips on dairy free kids' diet?
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi kemnalee, I'd suggest trying Blue Diamond brand almond milk (I like the regular unsweetened version) has 50% more calcium than regular milk. I use it anywhere I would have used milk before.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Today is day 1 of dairy-free for me. I've been having stomach issues for about 6 months: mostly gas and abdominal discomfort, no bowel changes or upper GI issues. My doc recommended 2 weeks of no dairy just to see if it helps, or if nothing else, rule out lactose intolerance.

Breakfast was alright. Oatmeal with an egg cooked in it (usually would put Greek yogurt in it and wanted to replace the protein) with cinnamon, blueberries and a splash of maple syrup mixed in. My black coffee is going down slowly; I'm used to half and half in it.

I'm sad because I make homemade bread every week, but my recipe has powdered milk in it. I'm frustrated by the whole thing, so I'm just gonna buy some bread instead of making a milk-free loaf. I'll just go milk-free next time I make bread. I'll also be picking up some organic almond milk (Pacific Natural Foods brand; almonds are a heavily sprayed crop, so you really should go organic. I tried coconut milk before because coconuts are always organic, but couldn't stand the texture) and something to cream up my coffee with.
  • Maymichelle
    Maymichelle Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am also on my first week of a dairy free life. I was tested last week & found to be dairy intolerant. My Dr. also does not want me to substitute with soy. So far I am doing okay but overall this process is hard and frustrating. I spent an hour at the grocery store yesterday reading labels. I didn't realize I would have to cut out so many things (like dressings & mayo) made with soybeans. I just wanted to comment on this thread because I am also new to this lifestyle & can use the support too!!
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am also on my first week of a dairy free life. I was tested last week & found to be dairy intolerant. My Dr. also does not want me to substitute with soy. So far I am doing okay but overall this process is hard and frustrating. I spent an hour at the grocery store yesterday reading labels. I didn't realize I would have to cut out so many things (like dressings & mayo) made with soybeans. I just wanted to comment on this thread because I am also new to this lifestyle & can use the support too!!

Being soy and dairy free is tough, since so many dairy alternatives are soy based. I'm not sure you have to go completely soy free though; it doesn't sound sleek you're allergic to it, just the doc doesn't want you having a ton of it. Probably because it can mess with your estrogen. (Or did the doc explain why?)
  • Maymichelle
    Options

Being soy and dairy free is tough, since so many dairy alternatives are soy based. I'm not sure you have to go completely soy free though; it doesn't sound sleek you're allergic to it, just the doc doesn't want you having a ton of it. Probably because it can mess with your estrogen. (Or did the doc explain why?)

You pegged it with the estrogen!! I am estrogen dominant. I have a follow up appt this week & I am going to double clarify this again! =)
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I am not soy free, but I limit my soy intake for personal reasons. It's crazy how many things have milk or soy in them. It makes grocery shopping pretty frustrating. I swear I eat the same stuff all the time, but I'm getting used to it. I've fourn that I loooove unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Sometimes I'll buy the chocolate flavor as a treat. Also, I know no one's asking, but there are these protein bars that I buy and LOVE off amazon. Look for NuGo FREE Bars. It satisfies my chocolate cravings and I get some protein in. Good luck with the new diet!
  • Maymichelle
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I am not soy free, but I limit my soy intake for personal reasons. It's crazy how many things have milk or soy in them. It makes grocery shopping pretty frustrating. I swear I eat the same stuff all the time, but I'm getting used to it. I've fourn that I loooove unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Sometimes I'll buy the chocolate flavor as a treat. Also, I know no one's asking, but there are these protein bars that I buy and LOVE off amazon. Look for NuGo FREE Bars. It satisfies my chocolate cravings and I get some protein in. Good luck with the new diet!

Thank you!! I am so glad you shared this! I was looking for a new protein bar! All my gluten free ones (Kind bars, etc.) had milk or soy in them! I knew there had to be something out there! I also love the unsweetened vanilla almond milk. The other day I bought some gluten free crackers (crunchmaster brand) and didn't even look at the label for milk thinking it would not be in crackers & sure enough...milk is an ingredient! I was shocked because they are crackers! So now I'm looking at the labels for EVERYTHING!!! I feel like I am starting to eat the same things over and over as well. In fact, right now...I'm struggling even thinking about dinner tonight!!
  • hugapitbull
    hugapitbull Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sad because I make homemade bread every week, but my recipe has powdered milk in it. th.

I'm a black coffee drinker, but there may be some of the creamer substitutes that are dairy free. I have a white bread recipe for my breadmaker that uses water instead of dry milk. I'm thinking you could easily substitute almond milk in the bread an not compromise the taste or texture.

Try a Google search on some bread recipes, and if you don't find any dairy free, I'll see if I can dig up the one I had. Haven't seen the book in a long time, but surely it is still in the house somewhere. :)
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Thank you!! I am so glad you shared this! I was looking for a new protein bar! All my gluten free ones (Kind bars, etc.) had milk or soy in them! I knew there had to be something out there! I also love the unsweetened vanilla almond milk. The other day I bought some gluten free crackers (crunchmaster brand) and didn't even look at the label for milk thinking it would not be in crackers & sure enough...milk is an ingredient! I was shocked because they are crackers! So now I'm looking at the labels for EVERYTHING!!! I feel like I am starting to eat the same things over and over as well. In fact, right now...I'm struggling even thinking about dinner tonight!!

It's so frustrating... I literally spent 30 minutes in reading the ingredients to croutons when I first realized their was milk in half of them. I found fresh express organic croutons aren't made with milk, but still, I hate have to read the label of EVERYTHING. And it's so hard that most protein bars use whey protein... I've been at this lifestyle for about 6 months and I feel soooo much better when I don't eat any dairy. I'll let you know what else I find!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I am new to dairy free as well. I hope to learn a lot from this group as well
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi all. I am new to going dairy free. For the last 20 years I was lactose intollerant but could get away with using lactaid products. Now suddenly they don't work anymore and anything with lactose, whey, or casine makes me seriously sick within minutes. So now I am going dairy free. I did some research online because I was wondering why it would change like that and most sites agree that gluten can cause dairy sensitivities so I'm going to try to cut that out as well.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Not exactly new to dairy free but back again. About 5 years ago, I ended up in the ER after ingesting cheddar popcorn (I ate dairy my whole life). I kept a dairy free lifestyle and then about a year ago, the allergy just disappeared. Luckily, it was perfect timing as I was able to enjoy my wedding just a few months ago. This past week, I noticed the signs of the dairy allergy reappearing. I am back to a dairy free lifestyle but this time I have chosen to avoid soy as well as my mother was dx with breast cancer this past year and the soy/estrogen component is enough to keep me away from it...almond milk it is!
  • healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi There
    I have been dairy free since April 2011 when following a cholecystectomy I experienced severe headaches, projectile vomiting, and diarroha after eating dairy. Initially the medical team thought this was due to the fat content in the dairy products but after further testing it was diagnosed that I have a severe intolerance to milk proteins.

Life changed dramatically for me after this, and resulted in me losing 13kgs in two weeks. With this rapid weight loss I was inspired to continue a weight loss journey and have lost 25kgs. I now am wanting to lose another 5kgs which will bring my BM! to 23.

I have been amazed what foods contain milk proteins and have become very good at scanning ingredients and asking probing questions at restaurants. One particular question I always ask is related to stocks, as many stocks have milk powder in them.

I hate being sick so eating diary is simply not an option for me. While I know an intolerance will not kill me, no food is worth a headache, vomiting, and diarrpha. It is amazing how you can adapt when life throws a curve ball.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Not exactly new to dairy free but back again. About 5 years ago, I ended up in the ER after ingesting cheddar popcorn (I ate dairy my whole life). I kept a dairy free lifestyle and then about a year ago, the allergy just disappeared. Luckily, it was perfect timing as I was able to enjoy my wedding just a few months ago. This past week, I noticed the signs of the dairy allergy reappearing. I am back to a dairy free lifestyle but this time I have chosen to avoid soy as well as my mother was dx with breast cancer this past year and the soy/estrogen component is enough to keep me away from it...almond milk it is!

Same thing happened to my mother. They said she was a "soy sensitive" and should cut out all soy because of it's link to cancer. It amazes me that within the cancer community it seams to be a clear danger, yet you never hear about the dangers of soy anywhere else?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, but I was forced to go dairy-free originally. It was the cause of my constant sinus issues, bloating and apparently acne. While I was transitioning, I noticed when I did have dairy my sinuses would get gross for a good 3 days at least after. I would also get a break out. My allergy test came back negative for dairy, so apparently it is not a true allergy, but something else. I also had stomach lactose issues since I was 16 so it always made me feel bloated and rush to the bathroom. But I ate it anyway. The last straw was when I figured out it was causing my nose to be messed up. I was taking allergy pills for two years because of it and I didn't know that I could just stop dairy and all that would go away. It's not too hard. I have soy milk and I eat daiya cheese if I want something 'cheesy'. I order pizzas without cheese. Less calories anyway, dairy is very high in fat.