grover0ca
grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
I have set my carbs/protien/fat to 40/30/30
That is correct right?

If so it gives me:
Carbs 220g
Protien 165g
Fat 73g

I don't think I have hit my protien goal once at that number.
Does it seem high to you?

Replies

• witrixie2011
    Options
    Seems about right to me. My current break down is:

Carbs 207
    Protein 156
    Fats 69

I haven't hit my protein goal yet either but when I first started this program 5 months ago I was barely eating 50g of protein a day. My goal for the past couple months was to eat at least 100g a day and now I'm aiming to hit 120g a day. I figure by the time I hit my goal weight I'll be eating exactly the right amount. :laugh:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I might get flamed for this, but I don't use those numbers. I do a lot of cardio, so my carbs are 50%, fat is 35%, and protein is 15%. This is within the RDA recommendations. I'm not in the huge amount of protein club. Many many many people will likely disagree with me, but there you have it.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I might get flamed for this, but I don't use those numbers. I do a lot of cardio, so my carbs are 50%, fat is 35%, and protein is 15%. This is within the RDA recommendations. I'm not in the huge amount of protein club. Many many many people will likely disagree with me, but there you have it.

I should state that I was trying to stay under 200 carbs and was being pretty successful. But since I have been dragging so bad mentally & physically lately, I've not worried about tracking carbs and feel 100% better. Now I'm just watching my protein and sodium intake and letting everything else fall where ever.
  • grover0ca
    Options
    I normally don't pay much attention to my carbs either..but I am really trying to focus on the protien.
    At least I am doing better than I was previously.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1800 and had my Macros set at 40/30/30. I couldn't eat that much protein. I went from being able to grab half an apple for a snack to having to grab chicken. It was nauseating so I changed it. The common recommendation is 1 gram/protein per pound of LBM. Bodybuilding.com says that anywhere from .6 to 1.4 can be okay dependent upon your fitness goals. From what I've read macros become more important with higher levels of training such as Heavy Lifting or Marathons or if there are underlying health issues to consider. You can tinker with them until you find what works best for you. As long as you stay in a healthy caloric deficit you will continue to lose weight.

A tip I got, maybe it will help you too. Stay within your calorie range for a week, normal exercise and plenty of rest and water. Forget the macros for this week just eat what fits into your deficit, what you can live with long term. If you like how you feel at the end of the week, use the average of your macros for that period and set MFP to that. It can always be readjusted for weight or fitness needs down the road.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    A tip I got, maybe it will help you too. Stay within your calorie range for a week, normal exercise and plenty of rest and water. Forget the macros for this week just eat what fits into your deficit, what you can live with long term. If you like how you feel at the end of the week, use the average of your macros for that period and set MFP to that. It can always be readjusted for weight or fitness needs down the road.

That's kind of what I'm doing. I took what I would normally eat every day and entered it in my diary. I was floored with how close my macros are to what MFP recommends. Since this is something we need to do every day for the rest of our lives, make sure it's "easy" to do.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit it either, but I'm getting close on some days. There are definitely varying opinions from different professionals, but I think more protein is very important if you're trying to build muscle.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Maybe try starting slow. I started with first trying to hit 90g of protein consistently, then 100g, then 125, etc... I focus mainly on hitting my protein (at least 1g/lb) and fat (25-30%), and whatever is left goes to carbs.

Kiki
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it impossible to hit my protein target. I'm finding plain yoghurt, soya milk and protein shakes help, but I always end up over on carbs and I don't really eat bread, pasta, rice etc, it's just in everything else!
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with 45 carbs, 30 fat, 25 protein. It's hard for me to meet THAT, so I'll be working on that and when I can hit it consistently I'll change to 40/30/30. I know from my own experience that I lose better when I have a good protein intake.

I have to drink at least one protein smoothie a day to get even close. I think I'll have to start doubling up on the protein powder scoops to get to where I need to be.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am set to 45% carb/25% pro/30% fat.

Here is a rough estimate of my actuals for the past few weeks:
    45/22/33.

I can never get to my protein goal. It is very rare. I generally have meat at lunch and dinner, a smoothie with protein powder, and greek yogurt for dessert.....and iI might get close. It is hard for me to eat more than 4oz of meat/fish/whatever at a meal.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal looks fine.

My personal macros-
    protein 250
    fats-100
    carb- 115

Is it hard to hit my protein? Sometimes yes- it's easier when I add a protein shake with a meal and remember I don't have to eat tiny portions of meat. I routinely eat 10oz of chicken and even bigger steaks. Man, I love steaks... where was I? lol Oh yeah- your numbers look fine :)
  • grover0ca
    Options
    I do eat meat..but I can probably increase my portions :)
    2 protien smoothies today...chachinnnnnng..lots of protien for me!!
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It's definitely hard to hit that protein goal. Mine is 163 grams...today I got to 152. I count that as a success. Protein shakes definitely make it easier. Lean meat, eggs, Greek yogurt, cheese, peanut butter, nuts...and I've found that the more I focus on getting protein in, the lower my carbs get, inch by inch. It's a process, you'll get there! :flowerforyou:
  • grover0ca
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement..you guys can do it...i can do it too!!
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with my protein as well. I really try hard to hit 100g every day but that doesn't always happen. We only eat local, organic meat and I can't afford that much extra just for me. I do try to throw in eggs and a protein shake at least once a day so....it is what it is, lol.