One week until surgery.....

Options
I am exactly one week away from the Gastric Bypass Roux en Y.....I am crazy excited. I am also nervous.....Just wondering if anyone can give any kind of advice..... any insight is wonderful.
THANK YOU,
Elizabeth

Replies

• skatermom503
    Options
    Congratulations! Seems like it takes forever to get to the actual surgery and now it's almost here. You will be fine. The surgery itself is easy enough and the post op isn't too bad. They will keep you comfortable. You will probably be on a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) machine meaning you will have a button you can push whenever you are in pain. It is computerized so your dose is controlled and it's safe so PUSH THE BUTTON whenever you are hurting. You will really only need it the first day or so and then you can change to oral medications probably. But don't be afraid to take pain meds. You will probably not need anything within a week post op. The gas you'll get is the worst thing. They pump in gas to visualize the abdomen and try to get it all out but they can't really so you'll have to deal with that for a couple of days but walking as soon as they let you, helps a lot. You won't be able to drink anything the first night but they'll give you liquids in the morning. And you can usually take a shower the first morning. I was surprised how fairly easy the post op period was. Follow your doctor's diet instructions carefully (all doctors do this differently) and walk, walk, walk. Oh, and you might gain some weight post op so don't be surprised. It is just fluids from the IV's which you will probably have right up until you are discharged. That fluid weight should go away in a week or so. The changes in your eating will take some getting used to but it will be worth it. It took me a full 4 months to make peace with my pouch and there were days when I regretted having the surgery but now I think it was such a gift. I still have about 80# to go but if I never lose another ounce, I am still in so much of a better place. Good luck. My prayers are with you. And congratulations on the beginning of your new life. Keep us posted!
  • Anointed2luv
    Options
    First let me say congrats! I am over 2 years post op and I have no regrets. My advice to you is to move around as much as possible. Exercise as soon as allowed and do it religiously. Try not to drink water early in the morning (for some the pouch is a little sensitive) Crystal Light works better. Enjoy your journey. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you for an easy surgery! Mine was complication free, met some great ladies on the Bariatric Unit and we walked the halls together! Keep us posted on your journey!
  • Cheft420
    Cheft420 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :smile: congrats. i am having lapband surgery on may 15 and am very excited. i hope that things go very well for you.
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months post op, my best advise is follow your doctor's advise! No matter what other well meaning people tell you, do what your doctor says. You're paying him, he went to medical school, he is very experienced in how to make it work. He wants you to succeed, he would love for you to be his next poster child for success. Follow his directions!

My besst advice, if it coincides with what your doctor says is WALK! As soon as you can and often immediately following surgery. It helps with the gas and abdominal pains, it also helps move the anastesia out of your body.

Best Wishes!

Lisa
  • puttingmyselfoutthere
    Options
    congratulations :D
  • Rosemaryhn
    Rosemaryhn Posts: 1
    Options
    In July it will be 2 years since I had gastric bypass myself. I have never regreted the decision I made. I lost around110 pounds. It is challenging the first 6 months but it is so worth it. Make sure that you exercise along with your weight loss-that is the best advice I can give you. Also, be prepared for some depression as you are having to learn to deal with new ways to handle stress other than eating. Very best of luck to you. Protein shakes will be your new best friend-get lots of flavors.