Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)?

Options
SMarie10
SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
I finally stopped taking the pill in January after many years. I just got tired of having to take it every day, and thought I'd give my body a break. I have not had a period since then and am feeling pretty good.... However, I'm concerned about my metabolism slowing down and wondered if staying on the pill would help keep my metabolism boosted enough to help me keep loosing weight.

Also, if I don't go back on the pill, is anyone taking HRT to help with hot flashes and mood swings?? Also, any books you might recommend on menopause. Really just wanting some guidance on what to expect in menopause and how to make it go better.

Replies

• MeliciousGibson
    Options
    Hello!
    I have been on HRT since last October. I was on an Estradiol .25 mg/daily patch (you wear it for 7 days), and LOVED it! But, they had a tendency to make my skin react, so I asked to be put on the pill form. I took Premarin for a week, but it was HORRIBLE for me. So I went to an Estradiol oral form...I just couldn't get the dosing right, so went back to the patch again. I really love it, and found out ways to minimize my skin reaction.

On the Estradiol .25 mg patch I have NO hot flashes, no night-sweats, NO menopausal symptoms at all. I have more energy, too (even before I changed my entire lifestyle to a healthy one!).

As for books - nope, I can't help at all....sorry.

Best of luck to you!
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hello,I take low dose prempro daily and I find that it really cuts down the number of hot flasnes and night sweats to almost nothing. I still get a little emotional, but nothing out of control like I felt before starting HRT. Weight loss is still a challenge but I at least I'm not gaining anymore!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So far I'm only using pharmacy compounded bio-identical progesterone cream (which has nearly ended the hot flashes and cut the night sweats down to 2-3 nights). And then evening primrose (helps my boob pain) and calcium/magnesium/D.

I'm hoping to stay this course, but know I may need to make some changes down the road...
  • missjenn35
    missjenn35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also went off BCPs in January and I could not lose a lb during that time and all my menopause symptoms returned. I just recenetly when on Prempro and I feel a lot better except for the face breaking out. I am sleeping through the night again and the scale has finally started to move again! I am a HRT advocate so far! I just can't live with the hot flashes and night sweats when I am not on hormones. Oh and I have had some spotting but nothing major.
  • sweatymary
    Options
    Going on a synthetic hormone (HRT) was never a consideration for me. I found the idea of taking something made from pregnant mares urine repulsive.

I did an enormous amount of research about the phases of menopause and I have virtually eliminated all of my symptoms the natural way. Healthy balanced diet, plenty of exercise and reducing my stress levels among other things.

I feel so strongly about the misinformation given to women and the marketing billions spent by pharmaceutical companies to make women think it's HRT or nothing that I have changed career to promote the alternatives to HRT. My new website and magazine will be published in May.

With changes to my lifestyle I have survived perimenopause and now feel 20 years younger :-D

There is a new generation of women who are helping to normalize and celebrate this natural transition in every womans life.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I was on estradiol until my Dr. discovered that I have a genetic mutation that predisposes me to blood clots. He checked me for it because my sister (53) has had 3 strokes, I've had several miscarriages and possibly one blood clot already. Thankfully my daughters dont have it but I do have a niece that does and now she can take preventative steps to prevent miscarriages.
    I had to go off HRT cold turkey after taking it for several years. I LOVED TAKING IT! I had no night sweats and no hot flashes. I went off it last Nov. and didn't start having major symptoms until Jan-Feb this year. Right now there is nothing I can do but suffer through it all. One thing I have noticed is that I have NEVER had a hot flash while exercising/working out. I'm not sure why but I'm glad.
    I am taking Estroven and eating some soy stuff but it doesn't seem to help.
    Sometimes our physical state just sucks but I realize that it is something that I cannot control. I know someone who is having chemo and severe hot flashes is one of her side effects. That alone makes me realize that I can get through this. It will in time, pass.
    About weight loss,,, I've lost almost 30 lbs since going off HRT. Granted, I started exercising and MFP in Jan also so that has a lot to do with it. Good luck to you and if you can take HRT do it!
  • Annec0911
    Annec0911 Posts: 48
    Options
    Very interesting to read about people's experiences on HRT.... I seriously considered it (again) last night as I tossed and turned, wide awake all night...today will be interesting....will avoid any major decision making ;-p.

I keep trying to focus on this being just a natural phase but it's challenging when every day (or night) something is just not right...

So far, the longer term health risks and potential weight gain are still swaying me to keep just dealing with things...but there are times when making it all go away with a patch seems VERY attractive!!!
  • sweatymary
    Options
    That's the thing with taking HRT you're just delaying the symptoms. When you stop taking it the symptoms start up all over again. I don't see the point. As well as the jury being out on whether HRT is safe or not (my opinion is that it is not) I just never fancied taking pregnant mares urine in any form!

The good news is that a group of women from all over the world are coming together to make the phases of menopause easier to deal with - we're removing the mystery and telling you the effective things you can do to take control of your life again.

Message me if you would like to know more - I can also add you to our mailing list :-D x
  • tamfarr
    tamfarr Posts: 3
    Options
    You might consider reading Dr. Susan Love's Hormone Book. It was informative.
  • Mstubbs26
    Mstubbs26 Posts: 11
    Options
    I take Premarin every single day & am almost to NO hotflashes..still get a little moody at times but its cuz i have gained 25lbs.. & i work out..trying to get over that one & it makes me emotional & tired...but NOT taking it is NOT an option if I want to function as a productive sane human being, work at my job & maintain being a mother & wife. I thought I was going to lose my mind from having full blown hotflashes every 20 min & crying over petty mess & then having no voice..I could go on but lets say it wasnt pretty. I have been in induced menopause for a year now & been taking Premarin for about 2mths before that I took a very low dose of Estradiol but needed a stronger dosage & this really works..cuz I tried to do without HRT & try the herbs/natural way but since I didnt have a chance to ease into menopause & it was induced I had to throw in the towel & cross to the dark side(lol). All jokes aside its been a lifesaver.
  • missjenn35
    missjenn35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    People who can go through it naturally, good for you. But I am 35 trying to raise a 7 yr old boy and I need to be as healthy as I can. Before I started HRT I was not sleeping at all and my weight was creeping up every week. Now I am on prempro and I have lost almost 10 lbs and I am sleeping through the night and I feel wonderful. I trust that God knows what is in my future. I would rather risk feeling good everyday for the chance that 'maybe' one day I might get a bad diagnosis than to live everyday miserable trying to prevent a bad diagnosis. That's my opinion.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    My GYN put me on Peroxidyne (spelling is probably not right). It's not an HRT, but REALLY helps with the hot flashes. It makes me drowsy, so I take it at night before I go to bed. It has made a world of difference in the amount of sleep I get! I didn't want to take an HRT because I've had uterine fibroids so just don't need the estrogen.
  • sweatymary
    Options
    There's a new website www.thechangeexplained.com about to launch which gives no nonsense advice about the menopause and the natural way to combat symptoms :-D
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I can not use any type of HRT as I had breast cancer that was hormone receptive. It's hard to struggle through the lack of sleep and hot flashes. The Hot Flashes were the worst but they've eased up now so not too bad. I know my Hematologist recommened I think he said Evening Primrose Supplements for the Hot Flashes never tried them. I do hate the weight issue
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My GYN put me on Peroxidyne (spelling is probably not right). It's not an HRT, but REALLY helps with the hot flashes. It makes me drowsy, so I take it at night before I go to bed. It has made a world of difference in the amount of sleep I get! I didn't want to take an HRT because I've had uterine fibroids so just don't need the estrogen.
    Paroxetine. It's an anti anxiety. Glad it helps.

I have xanax on stand by for horrible nights when I MUST work at 8am.
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    The Everything Menopause Book...if you were close I'd lend it to you.

While the moodiness OS a concern for me it is the sleepless nights that scare me. 4 hours last night and 2.5 hours the night before with an hour nap in between. I am not on hrt.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The Everything Menopause Book...if you were close I'd lend it to you.

While the moodiness OS a concern for me it is the sleepless nights that scare me. 4 hours last night and 2.5 hours the night before with an hour nap in between. I am not on hrt.

I'm with you on this one. The only problem I have is lack of sleep due to night sweats and I will not take HRT. I have heard women say how embarrassing the hot flushes can be during the day but I'd gladly put up with that in exchange for just one decent night's sleep!!
  • Annec0911
    Annec0911 Posts: 48
    Options
    meee tooo [yawn]....I can fall asleep ok but am wide awake about 90 minutes later...and stay that way for h-o-u-r-s....freaking myself out about not getting enough sleep...never had sleep problems before now. sigh.
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    I may try hrt later on but I am in early peri now...I will hold off on trying hormones as long as possible. Maybe some natural options will work out (melalomin doesn't) or maybe I will just not get to the point that I feel like I have to do something. As it is, I know eventually I will sleep. At least I stay in bed with my eyes closed which they say is nearly as effective as real sleep. I count my breaths as a way to try to keep my mind relaxed and empty. Starting over when I get to 100 or get sidetracked by thoughts that crowd in anyway.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I may try hrt later on but I am in early peri now...I will hold off on trying hormones as long as possible. Maybe some natural options will work out (melalomin doesn't) or maybe I will just not get to the point that I feel like I have to do something. As it is, I know eventually I will sleep. At least I stay in bed with my eyes closed which they say is nearly as effective as real sleep. I count my breaths as a way to try to keep my mind relaxed and empty. Starting over when I get to 100 or get sidetracked by thoughts that crowd in anyway.
    Consider bioidentical progesterone as a possibility. It does NOT wreak havoc with me the way progestins do.