Another post about a CHALLENGE

Hi, Friends!

I wanted to put this in a post because sharing it with others will help make me accountable.

About a year ago I discovered the whole "paleo/primal" thing. My eating was already moving in that direction because it seemed like common sense- eat real whole foods, cut out the crud, etc, etc.

I never jumped into the whole thing hard-core though. I completely dumped grains, and had cut the sugar before that, and I cut back on dairy and legumes (wasn't ready to part with peanut butter)... and though my over all eating habits, day-to-day regular meal consumption is pretty darn paleo, I've let myself still consume not so good things more often than I would like. (when you're all stressed out from working full-time, taking graduate classes, directing community theatre, AND planning a wedding... it canbe kinda hard to say "no" when the fiance says "wanna split a pint of Chunky Monkey?")

Well, I'm getting married in two days. And my life really isn't gonna change. We're staying in the same house, we've already lived together for over two years... but I feel like I want to do something to renew our life as we begin it as a married couple. He has been great about embracing a no-wheat, no-processed food lifestyle (at least at home, what he eats on his own time is his business). So, on May 1st, I'm jumping into (and bringing him with me) my first Whole 30 sort of challenge! I want to finally feel a real change!

We have decided on some other changes that tie into this sort of lifestyle that we're hoping will refresh and better us :) Such as- getting rid of that darned TV. We don't need it. It conumes too much of our time and brain cells. Also, cigarettes. We are both former habitual smokers, who use the excuse of "social smoking" to still justify the couple of times we puff on a death stick every week. Well no more. Two or three cigarettes a week is still two or three too many! And we are giving up "couch eating". We have a small kitchen, and no dining room, so we sit on the couch and eat using the coffee table. Well, once that darn TV is out of or living space, we're gonna use some of our wedding gift money to get a kitchenette type table tp occupy the space once filled by the boob tube.

I'm excited to see what these changes do for us! My life keeps getting better all the time, and it will continue to as long as I stay open to finding new ways to reshape my life!

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    all of those sound like good ideas!! especially getting rid of tv. I don't think that would work in my house simply because my boyfriend loves sports/ESPN too much -but I've often wished I could at least get rid of cable. we only watch 3 or 4 channels, but we have the minimum package so we still get like 100... lame.

more power to you!!!
  • uniqsol
    uniqsol Posts: 36
    Kooooo-dos!!! You & soon-to-be hubby absolutely rock! (And congrats on the wedding :) )

My husband & I were married 11/11/11. Prior to the wedding, we did P90X and along with that, our eating habits cleaned up majorly. Now that we're post-wedding, eating for me has been about the same, but he's reverted back to soda (at the very least, it's no caffeine Root Beer) and increased his carb intake. He's also decreased his smoking dramatically, but still has several throughout the day (sad face!!). Trying not to nag or pressure him about it b/c I understand that can be a difficult challenge.
    He's too young for all that crap & to have slacked off to little-no working out! I'm hoping that by seeing me getting back to business & asking if he'll join me once in awhile that "once in awhile" will become more often when he remembers how much better he felt before.

I've been getting back on the map with my work outs & trying to ever dwindle down certain foods b/c I notice I feel better without some things. Primal seems to be the style I more closely relate to and I'm attempting to fully "get there." A fellow MFP-er suggested the Whole 30 to me recently but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
    What does the Whole 30 challenge encompass?

Again, really awesome work you guys are doing! Enjoyed your post - the Chunky Monkey made me laugh (love that stuff!) :laugh:
    Please feel free to add me as a friend. I'm a newbie & would love to keep in touch with positive, progressive peeps!
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    So after a weekend of consuming more alcohol, sugar, and gluten than I probably have in the last three-six months combined, I have started my Whole 30 today. I am really excited to see what changes occur, since I have never given up dairy and all legumes like this before.

And as for some of the compatible lifestyle changes- getting rid of the TV is already having a great effect! I don't think if it was here my husband and I would have already gotten through opening, cataloging, and putting away all of our gifts, but we have! And really cleaned up the whole joint along the way... Otherwise, we probably would have opened everything, left it all on the floor, and spent the next three hours watching multiple episodes of South Park...

Next order of business, we are having some of our old funiture hauled away to go to charity to make room for a new dining table in our livingroom!

So excited and feeling good!

And fun fact- now that I am married, I'm a Mrs. and my new initials are MRS! Ridiculous. :)