What's the deal with belly fat after 40?

Options
catpow2
catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
And it's harder to get rid of I've noticed. Declining estrogen? Or issues related to getting older? I used gain weight in my lower body--not so much now.

Replies

• dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think this is just our age, but it drives me crazy!! First place I gain is my middle section so of course that last place I lose is my middle section.

UGH
  • catpow2
    Options
    I'm having a hard time getting rid of it, and I never used to gain weight in this area. I know has to be smaller because my pants aren't as tight in the waist, but damn it's hanging in there!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Uggh. This is new for me too. My pants are so baggy in the butt and legs and tight around the waist. It's a lovely look.
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It must have something to do with hormones since it's such a universal problem. Hard not to look like a barrel at 50 unless you are vigilant about diet and exercise. Definitely hard to find jeans that fit properly unless they're from the Mom-Jeans sections and I will only go kicking and screaming into those!
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    And mine is right around the middle! :huh: not even at the low gut level. I can pull it away from my body and wish I could just cut it off!:grumble: LOL!! .... What is this!!! I have always been heavy in the hip\thunder thigh area and now this too.... sheesh. What happens after 50 and 60? :noway:
  • carolbaker000
    carolbaker000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think I have a cunning plan to beat the gravitational pull which seems to be more forceful after 40.
    I've decided to stand on my head for a few hours a day to reverse the trend. Might not be very practical!

Seriously though, I can empathise. I'm 44 now and not giving up the fight with my middle.
    Just started jm's 6 weeks to 6 pack tonight. Hopefully that will help win the battle and get me set for my bikini in summer.
  • Helenasnan
    Helenasnan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My doctor says it is the most dangerous place to have fat, belly fat makes you more likely to become diabetic...hence I am watching my food/logging exercise....its sure not easy to get rid of, esp over 50! ugh! :sad:
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I heard it's dangerous also. Thick waisted women are more prone to strokes! Who knew!
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    This is what happened to me a few yaers ago and it scared me to death. Even when I was heavier I always had a flat stomach, and smaller waist. When I noticed the fat accumulating on my belly...the red flags were clear.

Having diabetes on both sides of my family and having gestational diabetes I knew what my future would be if I didn't do something about it. I had been logging food, exercising and nothing would budge.

That is when I found my current program, and the results were amazing. I now eat more, workout less and am in the very best shape of my life. I feel great and look and feel way younger than Idid 5 years ago...and my waist is back to 24 inches...the same it had been in my teens and 20s. :smile:

Don't give up...I was almost at that breaking point...it can be done. I see women our age getting healthier everyday...we are no different.
  • catpow2
    Options
    I believe you :smile:

I looked at my belly the other day--actually, it's not that bad; it has gotten smaller since I got serious about diet and exercise again. But it's just like you said, I never had to worry about weight gain there before. Anyway, as I was saying, I looked at my belly the other day and said: "You--you're on your way out. This is not the hardest thing I've ever done. Not by a long shot. Me--I'm going to win this battle." And I think we came to a mutual understanding. :smile:
  • lisamschinella
    lisamschinella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well, I always had a little bit of fat around my belly button, even when I was the best shape of my life, never goes away. I called it my doughnut. But when my weight started ballooning out of control over the last few years, due to stress, drinking too much because of the stress, then depression from drinking too much, uggh that doughnut turned into a Bundt cake! So I am so happy to see it shrinking. I used to be able to grab with two hands, now its a one hander! So I too, need to start doing some serious core work before I think I will see the results I want. But Im down 17 lbs this year, and I hope with the next 15-20 lbs the doughnut will be gone as well.
  • lauralawless917
    lauralawless917 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, and I have a large belly. I've been working out and eating better. I can tell a difference in the fit of my clothes, so I know the effort is paying off to a degree, even if I can't see it visually. I'm hopeful that I will eventually be able to see it. Would love to get back to the weight I was in my college years, flat belly and all!