Getting Started

Options
So is everyone ready? I've done a few days of walking/jogging and think I am ready for this.

I am considering setting up a very simple shared spreadsheet on Google Docs to help keep track of the group and what phase everyone is currently on, so we can help provide motivation if it's needed and make sure no one gets left behind.

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    it looks good, but what if we get stuck in a certain week?
  • peteb79
    Options
    I figure I can just fill it out as we go, if someone has to repeat a day or week it's not a big deal.. I imagine I'll be one of the people repeating a few. The first column after the name is to post the last date the person checked in.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me. This will be fun. Do you want us to update ourselves on the spreadsheat?
  • peteb79
    Options
    I've made it so anyone can edit, I will do what I can to update it frequently, but this way no one will have to rely on me to keep it up to date.
  • cecimaguina
    cecimaguina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love this! I have just signed up, and just in time to start with all of you! I saw the spreadsheet and looks great!
    This is the first time I'll be doing this so please keep up with me. I've been doing some running already for a month or so but besides my last login what I am supposed to enter here? just an X every time I run and I guess it has to be 3 times a week, right? do I need to post # of miles or my time anywhere?
    My goal is to run my first 5K this November and since I have plenty of time I would love to finish at a decent time....or at least finish!
    Thank you for doing this!
  • peteb79
    Options
    I love this! I have just signed up, and just in time to start with all of you! I saw the spreadsheet and looks great!
    This is the first time I'll be doing this so please keep up with me. I've been doing some running already for a month or so but besides my last login what I am supposed to enter here? just an X every time I run and I guess it has to be 3 times a week, right? do I need to post # of miles or my time anywhere?
    My goal is to run my first 5K this November and since I have plenty of time I would love to finish at a decent time....or at least finish!
    Thank you for doing this!

Sounds like you will be ahead of most of us. This is for C25k which is an established program to get people from couch to running 30 minutes., The routine is 3x a week for 9 weeks each day adds a little more running and a little less walking. The instructions for each week will be posted, probably on Saturdays and they are just being copied from the Couch 2 5K rules on the Cool Runnings website. I also have the instructions on the 2nd tab on the spreadsheet.

After you complete one of the days you can put an x in that box, or if you want to repeat it maybe we can put what repetition your on.. for example instead of an x put a 1.. then the next time you have to do the same routine put a 2.. I know I will probably have to do this on a few days.
  • cecimaguina
    cecimaguina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you Pete very much for this! I've actually started a month ago or so with an app that it's working nicely but trust me...I can't run 30min straight. I'm doing 1min walk/1min run to improve my endurance but I also have a lot of weight to loose so this is the perfect motivation!
    I'll keep checking in. Thanks so much!
  • chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me. I'm really excited about doing this. I hope I can make it to the end. My employer sponsors a 5K in August. This is the motivation I need.

I wanted to ask, especially for those that have already started in some way, at what speed are you running? I know it takes time to build up speed, and endurance is the first thing to conquer. Starting out, it should be ok to go slower right?
  • peteb79
    Options
    C25k should be run at your own pace, as slow as you need to go. I use the Endomondo App to track my runs and I am usually at a 4mph.. my goal is to get up to 6mph.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Lookin good! I'm excited to start. Do we just put an x after we have completed the week?
  • peteb79
    Options
    Lookin good! I'm excited to start. Do we just put an x after we have completed the week?

C25K has 3 runs per week, just put an x when you are done with a run.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I know that I will be repeating weeks. Is it ok to put a 2 so you can see it's my 2nd time around and not just falling behind?
  • peteb79
    Options
    That would work just fine.
  • Gulzilly
    Gulzilly Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    OK. I updated with my run. Thank you Pete for setting this up. I appreciate the thought and time you put into this. Gulzar.
  • ilsaee
    ilsaee Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this website and stumbled across your group. Very happy to have done that, I have never been a runner but I have always wanted to. I just saw the spreadsheet on google, very excited to get started next week. Thank you all :smile:
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This looks awesome Pete. I am looking forward to the accountability!
  • blackeyegirl
    Options
    Just had a chance to look at the spreadsheet! Awesome Pete! Thanks so much for putting this together for the group!! By the way, I had started the c25k program a few weeks ago, was feeling great...and unfortunately injured my knee. I'll take it bit more slowly this time as I think I may have been overzealous in my training. Hopefully, it has healed enough for me to keep up with the group! Looking forward to seeing our progress:) Good luck everyone!
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Just was looking through the message boards....I'm a "wanna-be-runner"......so I am super excited! Tomorrow will be day one!!! I have it on my ipod and set to get going!!!! Thanks for starting the group, it's going to be a great tool for sticking with the program!!! :flowerforyou:
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not too late for me to join! I was planning on doing the c25k today and came across your group! It'll be so much easier with motivation and seeing others doing it with me! I'll add my name to the spreadsheet if thats okay?