Is lifting heavy a must?

Options
sassylilmama
sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
I keep reading that many of you lift heavy. Is that really a requirement to eat more to weigh less? Or is that just a common denominator in this group? I lift but am up to only 10-15lb dumbbells so I don't think that qualifies as heavy.

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Perso I had the best results lifting heavy. Eating more but only doing cardio left me soft
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Also, what is a good place to start other than NROL? I was looking into Cathe F.

I just don't know where to start! I have to buy weights, that is for sure. I just feel overwhelmed trying to sort everything out.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is relative to the person.

It just really means while using correct form, pushing yourself, and progressing in how much weight you are lifting whenever possible.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My lifting heavy and your lifting heavy might not be the same thing. I think the main idea is to not walk to the free weights and automatically pick up the 3 lb dumbbells and actually expect to gain strength. Push yourself (don't hurt yourself, walking through with a trainer one time is not a horrible idea to get a feel for the machines and different exercises...you can pay for their service one time and not have to sign up for 2x a week or anything like that) and try to better your form and the amount you lift. If you lift 10-15lbs now, keep doing it and then increase that weight. You might sweat a little more and you may not be able to do 20 but that weight will get easier and you just keep going up and keep pushing yourself. You don't HAVE to lift "heavy" but it's likely you won't hate the results.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It is a requirement if you are looking for the really toned look.....I thought cardio would get me there with light weights...but it doesn't.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Also, what is a good place to start other than NROL? I was looking into Cathe F.

I just don't know where to start! I have to buy weights, that is for sure. I just feel overwhelmed trying to sort everything out.

^^^This...please help!
  • MichelleRenee13
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

I understand "lifting heavy" is relative. I am looking for a starting point that I can accomplish at home. A gym is not a option at the moment for me and just looking for some personal experiences on how folks began strength training and any dvd's they might recommend or any other recommendations.

How did everyone start on their strength training journey?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    If just getting into lifting free weights, I would suggest NROLW, if you are an avid lifter Cathe STS program is a good challenging one. I am currently doing it. It is kicking my tail..lol and I lift pretty heavy prior too. But I am really seeing some good results.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

I understand "lifting heavy" is relative. I am looking for a starting point that I can accomplish at home. A gym is not a option at the moment for me and just looking for some personal experiences on how folks began strength training and any dvd's they might recommend or any other recommendations.

How did everyone start on their strength training journey?

Currently I am contemplating getting NROLFW but I need to convince my husband to at least let me get a bench and barbell set. :)

For now I am doing P90X which is something I only needed dumbells and a chin up bar for. (although I just told my husband I need some heavier dumbells!) P90X will work you hard and it's a great strength training tool to get you started with lighter weights and using your body weight if you haven't done much lifting before and don't have a lot of equipment or strength. You can lift 'heavy' in the 8-12 reps doing P90X and you will gain muscle and strength up to a point. I don't know much about NROLFW yet, but I think once you move into barbells, squat racks, etc it can progress you even further as the weight load can be heavier with a barbell I think (someone explained that the balance is just easier after a certain point using a barbell allowing you to lift heavier).

I hope that helps a bit. I'm not expert but it's my thoughts and plans. :smile:
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bumpety, bump, bump...

Thanks for the info jyska and Lucia!

Lucia, what do you generally need for Cathe DVDs/programs???
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Bumpety, bump, bump...

Thanks for the info jyska and Lucia!

Lucia, what do you generally need for Cathe DVDs/programs???

I am just finishing the last week of Meso 1 so that is all I can speak too:-) Mat, ball, dumbbells, barbell, mat, step, and bands. I hear in the next section you need a bench, but not positive...
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Body For Life is another great lifting program that you can tailor to your particular starting point. You can look at the program at www.bodyforlife.com. I use the Body for Life method and I have seen some great results. You can do it at home or at the gym and it even gives you exercise suggestions and a tracking sheet to keep track of your progress. It's also a program you can follow for eight weeks, 3 days heavy lifting, 3 days of 20 min cardio, one day of rest. It has an eating plan too and all of it is FREE! Check it out!

Also I do lift heavy and have seen more results doing 30 min that per day, than doing an hour of cardio per day.............16 inches lost in 6 weeks........
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I started off using "Weight Training for Dummies" last summer. It was a great point of origin for me, definitely still refer to it, especially since I haven't gotten my mitts on NROLFW yet--but the boyfriend has hinted that that's going to be his family's late birthday present to me, and I. Cannot. Wait. :drinker:
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html I'm doing it at the gym, but she has some videos and recommendations for people doing it at home. I think the lower body stuff may be difficult to do without a gym, but check out the program. I'm only on week 2 and I can see/feel a difference.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I am doing Chalean Extreme by beach body. So there are quite a few programs out there. It really depends on what you are comfortable with are you willing to go at it alone, do you do better watching a video, or at a gym? I believe the Chalean Extreme, Cathe F., I think even Jillian Micheals has a strength training program these are all DVD and someone walks you through the program. NROL, Body for life, strong 5x5 and I am sure there are others you kind of have to figure out on your own. So again it is really what you are comfortable with.
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    I bought a 40lb dumbbell set plus a few extra 5lb weights from Sports Authority for $70 and started with a modified P90X set of exercises. Heavy enough for me since I've just started the lifting. I do the lifting routine 2-3 x a week since I play a lot of tennis - just don't have time, but know it's time to add strength!!!

I got the routine from another MFPer and I have a list of the exercises with video examples for form. Message me if you want it. :-)
  • MichelleRenee13
    Options
    How do you like Chalean Extreme? It is one of the programs I have been looking into.

I am looking to do it at home...with or without videos. Starting with, up to 15lb weights....tis all I have or can afford, atm.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to lift heavy for a little while but I was too scared to go into the free weights room where all the guys are but I started lifting heavier dumbells and I can notice some results. I ended up getting my boyfriend who lifts to show me how to do proper dead lifts bench presses and squats but I was still a bit unsure so I ended up booking in for a free induction at the gym (Even though I have already been a member for a few months) where they will write me up a program and show me how to follow it properly. Im looking forward to it and I really need some sort of direction now!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't have weights and can't do the gym. Look into "primal" or "paleo" workouts. They use only your body weight. I'm pretty new at strength training and it's definitely showing me results! The one I'm following is by Samuel Pont. He has some free stuff on his website and FB page. I have had to modify it a bit as the routine has you doing a lot of pushups. But even doing girly pushups it is giving me some muscley arms! :)
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    How do you like Chalean Extreme? It is one of the programs I have been looking into.

I am looking to do it at home...with or without videos. Starting with, up to 15lb weights....tis all I have or can afford, atm.

I love the Chalean Extreme program.