Protein Shakes

Options
pboroaddick
pboroaddick Posts: 29 Member
I'm interested if anyone can tell me more about the use of protein shakes or powders to help with weight loss. If so any suggestions what to buy and where. Also I'm looking for more friends so please add me.

Replies

• katiepatati
    katiepatati Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump.... I'd be interested in the answer too.
  • pboroaddick
    Options
    I found a protein powder in Boots called Casilan 90 16 grms = 58 cals & 14grms protein. I will try this after exercise as a shake with water and see what happens over the next few weeks.
  • madcazzer
    madcazzer Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi I am interested in this also...... I have been doing some research on the web and apparently protein shakes can help with weight loss and repair muscle after a workout, so you are not so sore the day after. I have bought a low calorie but high protein shake ( 111 cal with 20grams of protein) from argos of all places as they can be expensive, so will let you know how I get on.
  • pboroaddick
    Options
    I agree there could be some benefits to using protein shakes after exercise. Have sent friend request so we can compare progress
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Tesco's PHD Pharma Whey HT+ is a decent option at the moment
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For the past 11 months I have been using Protein shakes in the morning as a replacement for Breakfast a meal I never have time to eat because of my job...

They have helped in 2 ways:-

1) Increasing my Protein has helped with building healthy muscle and my training schedual
    2) Having Protein for breakfast stops me getting hungry.

However recently I have been finding all the flavoured shakes getting sweeter and sweeter as my tastes have changed so much so I was beginning to get nauseous so in line with my drive to eat cleaner and cleaner I have just started making my own and am wondering why I waited so long.

It is so so simple

200g of frozen or fresh berries (Occasionally I pop a passion fruit or Kiwi in)
    300mls of Almond or Hazelnut milk
    40g of MyProtein Whey Isolate powder unflavoured

All whizzed up in a blender and It come out like a thick McDonalds shake.... and equals
    11g Carbs
    8g Fat
    39g Protein

And under 300 Cals

Perfectly balanced for the day.....

I stick to berries and I tend to avoid other fruit because of the fructose effect on blood sugar...

Lucy
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've changed from Slimfast for breakfast every day to a protein shake, on advce from a friend on here, and II'm glad I did....cheaper, keeps me fuller longer, research shows it will aid recovery after workouts and help weight loss. I use Elite Fusion 7 by Dymatize, with added fibre, the shop down the road sells it so it;s easy to get hold of. Can be used as a meal replacement as also has vitamins and minerals added. Some don't...so you'd have to supplement or get the nutrients from your other food items. Also some thicken up and some don't. I read lots of reviews, I suggest you do the same, or pop in a local health shop and ask. At the end of the day though, I'd probably choose on which had the nicest flavour. Just started using it last week, so far so good :)
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Holland and Barrett are pretty good if you can find some on offer. I use bodyfit whey protein usually after my evening meal to top up whenever I haven't eaten enough protein for the day. I set my daily goal for 25% of my diet but it can be hard to get the macros right. That's where I find the shakes useful.
  • brooklynjade4
    brooklynjade4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    www.myprotein.com
    i wouldnt bother with boots holland and barrett etc - very expensive
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    www.myprotein.com
    i wouldnt bother with boots holland and barrett etc - very expensive

If you have Quidco, they do cashback too :)
  • pboroaddick
    Options
    Great post from Brooklynjade, my protein.com looks like a great site to purchase. Have just emailed them to see what they recommend. Thank you for the recommendation.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Holland and Barratt do a good mixer cup, but that's it.

All of their products are overpriced and under in quality.

Myprotein.co.uk have some good stuff, I've only moved away from them due to issues with their choice of delivery company.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Also, I think myprotein do a recommend a friend bonus with their points system, so new customers should try to benefit a friend if they can.
  • pboroaddick
    Options
    First week over, taken a protein shake after each exercise and just recorded 2 pound weight loss. So, good first signs that it may affect the fat burning and also I am sure if has helped the recovery process after cardio work out.