Whey Protein Powder

Options
Val_from_OH
Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
So I have resigned myself to the fact that there is no way I'm going to eat over 100g of protein per day without a supplement. I tried adding some powdered milk to my coffee - ew gross!!! I hope the protein powders taste a little better. Which ones have y'all tried, and what were your experiences?

Replies

• rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress. You can find it at walmart or meijer... any of the big chain stores. It's pretty cheap, and doesn't have a really bad after taste. It's 26g of protein per scoop, and most shakes call for 2 scoops.... I have the Chocolate and the vanilla, and can make just about any shake I want to with just those two flavors. I know some people start out with just the vanilla, and then if they want chocolate, they will add some unsweetened cocoa powder to it.

Just a thought! Good luck!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I recently bought some Myofusion (vanilla) and the flavor is pretty good & mixes really well (has about 25g protein per one scoop). I actually like adding it to cold coffee! I tried it in hot coffee once and it just didn't mix right...
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I work at GNC so I tend to test the products here and there. I've tried the Pure Protein canned shakes... pretty tasty and each can contains about 35g of protein... I can't tell you how many carbs were in any of these though. My apologies in advance!

Lean muscle meal (vanilla) was one of my favorites. It came with 40 grams of protein as well.. too bad I got sick of the flavor so quickly. (not sure if all of these falls under the 'whey protein' category) the Lean muscle meal kept me fuller longer than the Pure Protein powder or ready-to-drink shakes.

Body Fortress (the kind from Wally-World that Rchup talked about) is my most recent buy. It sucks with water in my opinion, but mixes up really thick with milk.. and it tastes pretty great to be so cheap. With this I usually throw in a spoonful of cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt.. and maybe some fruit if I have it on hand or coffee because.. well coffee is the ish! Guaranteed to keep you super stuffed!

I've also tried 100% whey protein (banana cream flavor and cookies and cream). A scoop had about 20 grams of protein and I really can't give my honest opinion on this one. I've only tried it once and can't remember how I really feel about it. ^__^;

The last thing on my list that I haven't tried... but will be trying once I catch it on sale is GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. It's supposedly the leanest protein that we have (so I was told by our supervisor) and a 3 scoop serving size (280 calories) offers 60 grams of protein.
  • suzibanshee
    suzibanshee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein isolate from Pacificpurity.com - it's unflavored so you can add it to almost anything. 27 grams of protein per serving.

Two pounds of it is $16.95 with free shipping. Oh, and it dissolves well.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition natural whey in chocolate and vanilla. Both are sweetened with very minimal amounts of evaporated cane juice so I dig it. There's also a stevia one, but I haven't tried it.

Spoon mixing ok, shaker mixing good, blend mixing great

I also like Banana Cream Nitro Tech Muscle Tech ...same mixing issue as above

and the fruity isopure flavors, which mix well in water (rare) and aren't so bad by spoon. I also like grabbing the bottles of fruity isopure, which are blended to perfection.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I also like the Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey in Chocolate. I use a shaker cup and mix it with skim milk. I haven't started lifting yet but already have my macros at 40/30/30 so I drink a shake almost every day.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress for this Girl. It's fine mixed with milk. Does the job.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The flovor of your protein powder is one thing to consider but for me the most important thing is the texture when it is mixed. I hate them when they are gritty or do not blend well.
    Have you checked out GNC - they tend to have trial sizes or small packets of a variety of protein powders so you can check out different brands without breaking the bank for a full can.
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb, the vanilla whey protein powder. I love the taste. I actually look forward to it. I've mixed with milk, made smoothies and even just mixed with water. It's a bit more expensive than some but it's worth it for me because of the source of the protein (grain fed free range cattle w/o rBGH, the lack of extra additives, it uses stevia and it's 110 calories per scoop, no fat and 1 gm carbs with 25gms protein.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the information! I went to GNC over the weekend, and the guy talked me into buying GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. It is buy 1 get 1 50% off right now. Its still more money than I wanted to spend, and I won't let them talk me into it again. HOWEVER - this stuff is awesome. I've only tried the vanilla so far, but I mixed 1 scoop into 4 oz of milk in my shaker cup, then filled with coffee and ice. It was completely smooth, and the taste was quite sweet and vanilla-y. What really sold me on it though is that it only has 93 calories per scoop, with 20g protein. From what I've seen, its hard to find a better protein/calories ratio than that.

On a side note... I STILL came up 40 grams short on protein yesterday. I'm not very good at this 40/30/30 thing...