Off- day workout?

Options
hubie316
hubie316 Posts: 24 Member
Hi all,

I've been doing kettlebells for the last 2 months or so, have progressed from using a 15lb to 25lb wooh! Right now, I'm participating in a challenge on MFP that requires I workout every day. I've been doing my KB workout 3-4 times/week, with 30DS or long rides on my stationary bike between. Any other video suggestions? I know I definitely won't be doing Insanity or anything related because jumping other than jacks kills my knees. I have Turbo Jam but it has become so easy that it's laughable ;)

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would take it relatively easy on days off from kettlebell workouts, assuming they are pretty intense (and if you're using a 25 lb bell, I would think they are ... I'm using 26 and 35 lb, and my workouts are quite challenging). Light exercise like walking or a short jog or bike ride are fine. I would also look into muscle recovery work like foam rolling, stretching, and yoga on off days. I know that's not "working out" in the same sense as kettlebells, but it's very, very important and will do wonders in preventing you from burning out or getting injured and having to miss training time.
  • hubie316
    hubie316 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I forgot about yoga; that might be a great option. Kettlbells and yoga are like yin and yang ;)
  • mijo32002
    mijo32002 Posts: 42
    Options
    On my days off from kettlebells, or rest day, I usually try to go swimming or do some yoga or a stretching routine, anything that allows me to stretch my limbs and joints. Kettlebells, or any kind of weight lifting can give your joints a beating even if you're careful, so it's good to take time to give your body a chance to heal.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I usually bicycle on my non-kettlebell days. It still burns quite a few calories & can be pretty easy on the body if you don't push it. I just got back from a 1 hour easy mountain bike ride & burned around 600 calories. I've also been trying out a TRX recently on off days which has been challenging & fun.

Yoga or stretching definitely seems like a great idea. I think that's something many of us forget to do (well, me) & it's probably one of the best things for us.