How do you get your metabollism fired up if it is resistant?

Options
moejo3
moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
Hi Everyone, How do I get my Metabolism going again? I am in Menapause, Hashimoto's, Adrenal fatigue, low basal body temp 96.2; no problems with blood sugar or cholesterol, blood pressure is 90/70

I currently consume between 1400-1600 calories a day. I work out 2-3 days a weeks for 90 minutes, work full time, kids, house and yard work. My energy level is not what it used to be and I do need to be careful because I can burn out my adrenals really easily. My doc said until I get my core temp up closer to 98.6 I won't be able to lose. Or she said cut all carbs and stick to 1200 a day I will lose. But, she also said after I lose I will gain back even with healthy carbs. I am a little frustrated I would like to be down to 150-155 I am 5'8" and currently 182.3 pounds. The 5 pounds I lost came back ....I have quit drinking alcohol but, I do have a sugar addiction I am struggling with. I am just looking for ideas, moral support comments of any kind. I know my issues but, am seeking advice

Replies

• hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just started using organic virgin coconut oil after researching it. Try googling coconut oil and thyroid. I've already seen a difference.
  • moejo3
    Options
    I will definitely take a look, thank you for responding
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yep - I feel your pain... to be honest, it's more about what you eat then how much you eat. And it's more about what you eat than how much you exercise. Eating is why we get fat. I am post-menopausal and there are many, many foods that I cannot eat because they will go straight to my belly. So, I had to decide, once and for all, whether I wanted to give in to my food addictions or be thin. I chose to be thin --

You have to look at food as fuel -- everything you put in your mouth, you have to say -- how will this help my body to perform better and how will this help me to get to my goal weight. I had to eliminate bread, pasta, rice, potatoes -- got rid of all "white" food. I eliminated sugar and starches. What's left? Fruit (not all), veggies, lean meat, fish, shellfish. Don't be afraid of healthy fat that's in olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, salmon, nuts. Do not underestimate the power of drinking water and lots of it!! You should be drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water each day -- and the water you put in coffee or tea doesn't count. You can eliminate aspartame and other sweeteners -- your body thinks they are carbs!! Try Stevia -- NuNaturals has a great concentrated stevia powder that is every bit as sweet as sugar and your body won't think it's sugar.

I am taking a rest from dieting right now and testing out maintaining -- you could take a hiatus from dieting and try to calm down your system. Against popular opinion, my dietician recommended that I weigh myself every day and hold myself accountable for going up by more than 2 pounds. So, I've managed to stay at my same weight now for about 5 weeks.

I think it is ok to "cheat" once in a while, but for me once in a while is maybe one snack a week.
  • moejo3
    Options
    Yep - I feel your pain... to be honest, it's more about what you eat then how much you eat. And it's more about what you eat than how much you exercise. Eating is why we get fat. I am post-menopausal and there are many, many foods that I cannot eat because they will go straight to my belly. So, I had to decide, once and for all, whether I wanted to give in to my food addictions or be thin. I chose to be thin --

You have to look at food as fuel -- everything you put in your mouth, you have to say -- how will this help my body to perform better and how will this help me to get to my goal weight. I had to eliminate bread, pasta, rice, potatoes -- got rid of all "white" food. I eliminated sugar and starches. What's left? Fruit (not all), veggies, lean meat, fish, shellfish. Don't be afraid of healthy fat that's in olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, salmon, nuts. Do not underestimate the power of drinking water and lots of it!! You should be drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water each day -- and the water you put in coffee or tea doesn't count. You can eliminate aspartame and other sweeteners -- your body thinks they are carbs!! Try Stevia -- NuNaturals has a great concentrated stevia powder that is every bit as sweet as sugar and your body won't think it's sugar.

I am taking a rest from dieting right now and testing out maintaining -- you could take a hiatus from dieting and try to calm down your system. Against popular opinion, my dietician recommended that I weigh myself every day and hold myself accountable for going up by more than 2 pounds. So, I've managed to stay at my same weight now for about 5 weeks.

I think it is ok to "cheat" once in a while, but for me once in a while is maybe one snack a week.

Hi, thank you for the supportive advice. I had the menopause and thyroid hit at the same time in my late 30's so, it was a really double whammy to me, mentally and physically. So at 42 I am in the luteal phase and learning to deal with what that brings me physically. My biggest challenge is sugar, my cheat ends up being a binge after I have been careful all day. So, a few days ago I started reading some of the diary's of success stories on mfp and that is really inspiring me. Thanks again for your support
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I see people all the time on MFP that are eating 1200 calories a day or less but not losing weight. But they are eating empty calories -- no vegetables or fruit -- but things like cereal, bread, beer/wine, cookies, candy. Our body needs nutrition -- and if we don't give it nutrition, we are actually starving ourselves -- and all that crap food is stored as fat.

That's why I say its as much about "what" you eat as "how much" you eat. Took me 59 years to figure that out :-)
  • moejo3
    Options
    I am trying to stay with whole foods but, that is new for me. I quit drinking about 2 months ago and then my sugar addiction really kicked in. But, I continue to work towards better choices. I am not doing 1200 a day I will just gain back. I am staying at 1400 or so for non workout days and 1600 for workout days.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with this too. I just learned about "calorie cycling" and am starting to try that. My first day was yesterday...today I am really nervous because I exceeded my "recommended" calories for the first time since joining MFP a few weeks ago. The idea is that you keep your body guessing and not let it go into starvation mode by varying the calories you eat each day. I am trying the following: 1500 on Fridays and Sundays, 1200 on Wednesdays, 1100 on Saturdays and Mondays, and 1000 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Of course, whatever I exercise I can add back, so I am REALLY motivated to get my rear out of bed on Tuesdays and Thursdays now, b/c I tried 1000 yesterday and it was not fun...anyway, I don't know if it will work or not but 2 people on this site I talked to said they lost 62 and 70 pounds doing this. i have never tried it, but I do know I always hit a plateau and the rationale for cycling totally made sense. We'll see what happens....
  • Wisewoman888
    Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Pack the cinnamon into everything! I have cinnamon tea, cinnamon in food, use coconut oil for cooking and the flavoured stuff (chocolate, vanilla, cashew flavoured coconut butters) for anything you can get your hands on!!!
    I recently took off 4.5inches off my belly just doing this, and I'm not even on meds for my thyroid just being monitored through a naturopathb and on herbs. So if it works for me it can work for ANYONE!!!
    I was sure I had THE slowest metabolism in the universe!
  • happyukrainian
    Options
    I seem to have a hard time getting the daily fruit and vegetables in my diet.Water as well really.It's not that I hate fruit,but I will take a apple or something and make myself eat it.I was wondering tecallahan how you do it? If any one else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I seem to have a hard time getting the daily fruit and vegetables in my diet.Water as well really.It's not that I hate fruit,but I will take a apple or something and make myself eat it.I was wondering tecallahan how you do it? If any one else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks

I work full-time and pack my lunch and make eating my fruit & veggies a habit. So, I eat breakfast, then at 10am I eat my first fruit - usually an orange. Then for lunch I eat a giant salad with chicken or turkey for protein. Then at 3pm I eat an apple and some almonds. Then dinner is usually asparagus or broccoli and some sort of meat or fish.

I started logging it and eating this way about 5 months ago -- and just became a creature of habit eating that way. It's a commitment and it's hard, but I'm not getting any younger and I needed to turn it all around.

When I workout, I also have a veggie protein shake after my workout.

I'm not trying to lose right now -- in a maintenance mode - so I do allow myself a little treat once in a while like some dark chocolate,,,, I ate movie popcorn last night. But then I come right back around to my new eating habits.
  • Ktbug613
    Ktbug613 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

The more you do it the easier it will get. There are several veggies I used to not like at all and now I love them. Your taste buds can adjust, the same goes for addiction foods, if you can manage the initial break from them, in time you not only wont crave them as often, but you might find that after long enough, they aren't near as satisfying as they used to be :)
  • happyukrainian
    Options
    THANK-YOU!!!
  • ladyshills
    Options
    I too have low body temp 97.2 average- I have Hashimotos. I lost 30 pounds in 2010 doing Weight Watcher but gained about 15 of it back. I've been back on track for 32 days now & have lost 8.2 pounds. I have to force my self to exercise but I have found that if I run as fast as I can for 3 minutes (about 6 mph).. I lose weight! I eat about 1400 calories per day & try to work out in the yard on weekends since I love it & it doesn't feel like exercise. Did you do the saliva test to find out you had adrenal fatigue? Pretty sure I do to but no insurance & have to self pay medical. Tons of water everyday really helps me too.
  • moejo3
    Options
    I too have low body temp 97.2 average- I have Hashimotos. I lost 30 pounds in 2010 doing Weight Watcher but gained about 15 of it back. I've been back on track for 32 days now & have lost 8.2 pounds. I have to force my self to exercise but I have found that if I run as fast as I can for 3 minutes (about 6 mph).. I lose weight! I eat about 1400 calories per day & try to work out in the yard on weekends since I love it & it doesn't feel like exercise. Did you do the saliva test to find out you had adrenal fatigue? Pretty sure I do to but no insurance & have to self pay medical. Tons of water everyday really helps me too.

Hi, my naturopath Dr. (ND) does the full blood panels on me once a year and then I have quarterly panels just for my thyroid. I know running does kick my weight loss in gear. I need to do more than the yoga but, I have gotten lazy!
    I have heard the saliva test works well. I can tell when mine are low I just have nothing to give and working out is horrible because I cannot recover and work out again the next day. If you do find you adrenals are low I recommend Isocort you can get it through Amazon. Thanks for your comments
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump

And thanks to those who reminded me about coconut oil and cinnamon!! I'd completely fallen out of that routine when I moved a couple months back!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Yeah, sure seems that eliminating white carbs and a few other things are the way to go. I think that's true for everyone personally, but especially so for those with thyroid issues.

Once we found a good doctor (Naturopath) and she officially diagnosed my wife with Hypo (which years of fighting with regular doctors never went anywhere) we also found that she is highly gluten intolerant, insulin resistant, and pre-diabetic. This is all caused by out of whack hormones. The only thing good in it all is that her cholesterol profile is amazing.

Cutting out the carbs, sugar, wheat and soy are starting to make a difference, but it sure seems that anyone with thyroid issues has a pretty long and difficult road ahead.
  • moejo3
    Options
    some of the ways I have tried to increase is:
    2 or 3 different veggies with the main dish at dinner ( no starches) I like to roast them in the oven with EVOO and a little sea salt
    Salad with protein at lunch
    Berry smoothie in the morning
    Apple for a snack.
    I tend to only eat fruit in the summer when we have a better selection where I live. Otherwise I just stick to apples and frozen berries in my smoothie