Best way to increase fiber?

Options
PeggyWoodson
PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
What is the best way to increase the amount of fiber you get on a low carbohydrate diet? What are each of you doing about fiber?
I'm not asking how to calculate net carbs. My question is What foods do you eat to insure that you are getting enough fiber. This question is only for those doing low carb diets or Dr Atkins diets.

Replies

• kyriggs77
    kyriggs77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Atkins Advantage Bars, lot of protein and fiber. Celery with a dab of peanut butter is also a great snack.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Great suggestions, thanks.
    I have some celery I can add to my next salad. thanks for reminding me..
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Peggy--I love the MIMs (look at the sticky at the top for ideas). Lots of fiber and very good.
    I also do celery with cream cheese , Barney butter (almond), dressing etc. or sometimes cucmbers.
    You could also sprinkle flax seed (good Omega 3s) on salads.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I'm on a low carb plan too and I eat homemade flax bread. I had to aquire a taste for flax meal but now I really like it. It is an excellent source of fiber!
    Mix together
    4 tbsp ground flax meal
    1 egg
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp parmesan cheese
    artificial sweetener to taste
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    salt
    italian seasoning(optional)
    put in a square shaped microwave safe bowl, microwave for 1 min 10 seconds.
    Carefully slice in half length wise. For me this enough for 2 servings. Toast it or butter it and fry like a grilled cheese (IMO this is the best way to eat it)
    4 grams carb, 4 grams fiber = zero net carbs. Induction Friendly.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Oh My, that does sound good. I can see between the two of you I have got to get some flax meal. Kroger, here I come.
  • kyriggs77
    kyriggs77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just purchased Fax meal this weekend for a pizza crust. I'll have to try your bread receipe....sounds yummy. TY
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    Scuse me??? Pizza crust? do you have a recipe by chance?
  • jbarnes2
    jbarnes2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What I do each morning is have half a bottle of a Naked Juice called Berry Veggie and mix in half a scoop of fiber like Metamucil or Dr. Natura's with some water. It's 32 net grams of carbs, which seems like a lot but I usually workout immediately after and still stay in Ketosis - even on the days have it and don't workout. Someone else recommended it and it tastes delicious. Since I've started I've had a BM everyday.

I was told it's best to have most of my carbs in the morning and it's a good way to get some energy before I workout. I'm not saying it'll work for everyone, especially those who end up taking low carb to the extreme of no carb and are scared to get that many in at one time, but it's worth it to me. I have links to the products I'm referring to below.

http://www.nakedjuice.com/our-products/juice/berry-veggie
    http://www.drnatura.com/products/fiber-suplements/colonix-fiber
    http://www.metamucil.com
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I'm not doing no carb but I am doing low carb.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I'm not doing no carb but I am doing low carb.

Sorry, got sidetracked. I'm happy that is working for you. Sounds to me like you have a good thing going there for you.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options

Ok, I have to go to Kroger for sure now. That looks awesome. Have you tried it?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to increase the amount of fiber you get on a low carbohydrate diet? What are each of you doing about fiber?
    I'm not asking how to calculate net carbs. My question is What foods do you eat to insure that you are getting enough fiber. This question is only for those doing low carb diets or Dr Atkins diets.

Firstly, increased fiber applies to all dietary intakes that the medical community advocates for. Even Paleo and Primal are included in this area as well - not just low carb and Dr. Atkins.

Fresher the better - fresh vegetables and a limited range of fruits will give you the natural fiber that folks should target.

When you 'add' fiber, you are not getting the full nutritional benefit from it.

Resources such as calorieking.com can give you free information on nutritional information and its a great resource to use on a whim when needed.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    One word: AVOCADO. 16 grams of carbs, 14 of which are fiber (2 net carbs) in a medium haas avocado. And there is SO MUCH you can do with avocado. And they are delicious. And full of good fat in addition to all the fiber. The perfect food really :)
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    2 words....Faux Potatoes !!! It's mashed potatoes made from califlower !! Lots of fiber and so yummy it's hard to stop eating !!

Steam 1 head of cauliflower until soft
    1/2 block of cream cheese
    1/4 to 1/2 stick real butter

Mash all together ( I use my hand mixer). And enjoy !!
  • melissainez85
    Options
    i eat flax muffins(MIMs aka muffin in a minute) a few times a week and that helps me :)
    :wink: