How do I know if eating more is for me??!!!

Options
Hi all! I've just hit my 1 year anniversary on MFP and have lost about 10 lbs since last April. The problem is that I lost those 10 lbs within my first few of months and have been maintaining my weight ever since then. I started at around 1250 calories a day but I couldn't keep it up for long and ended up switching to 1360. After no loss or gain over the course of a few months I'd lost interest in keeping track of calories and stopped tracking. However, I did keep my relatively active lifestyle (5 kids, lots of parks, walking, bike rides, running occasionally, home eliptical and exercise vids.) and I've maintained my weight of 140 (5 ft 6 in, 32 yrs old). I'm fairly pleased with my body but I do have some jiggly-ness that I would like to rid myself of once and for all. How do I know for sure if I should eat more? Do I just have to do it and see what happens??

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell...if you still have weight to lose, and you are eating much less than your body requires, then it's probably for you :wink:

So I'd take a minute and calculate your TDEE, and if it looks like you're way under your cals (even just being under what your maintenance cals *should* be) .......then, eat up! :drinker:

Kiki
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    Ok, thanks!!

So then...
    my BMR is 1428,
    TDEE is 2204
    - 15% is 1873

1873 is what I should aim for? But never less than 1428?

And a quick question...
    i set my MFP goal for maintenance and it's giving me a calorie goal of 1830. Shouldn't my maintenance be 2204?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    yes that would be your maintenance, but mfp doesn't include workout cals, so that's why the number given is lower.

You can reset your account to the actual number that you're shooting for (1873), but don't eat back the exercise cals.

~Kiki :)
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Im confused when you say dont eat back your exercise calories. My account is set to 1900 but MFP says that my calories burned from normal activity are 2210 so im eating at a deficit of 310 calories should I eat back my exercise calories?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    tdee takes into account exercise already. MFP does does not. So you can log exercise and just check your home page to make sure your net cals re above your bmr.
  • jennlowe66
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. I'm confused on if this is right for me as well. Insulin makes a person hold onto fat so needless to say its difficult to lose weight even though I've been on a 1200 cal diet and work out religiously. I'm afraid if I increase my calorie intake that it will make it that much harder. Any ideas or advice?