New to the group

Options
2»

Replies

• greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard the acronym HALT? It's helped me before. When you are about to eat, you ask, Am I:

Hungry?
    Angry?
    Lonely?
    Tired?

Yup! This is from 12-step groups.

Yes, usually it is emotional for me and the above may or may not apply. But, for me, sometimes it's as simple as sugar addiction. After ingesting a lot (or sometimes even a little) of sugar and processed foods, I sometimes have major cravings and it can be hard to get out of the cycle, which is what I think has been going on with me for the past couple days. Plus I think PMS too which doesn't help.

I am VERY sensitive to sugar and processed foods and I'm a big believer in food being an addiction. I am beginning to see it more and more in others too, not just on MFP and/or in this group. I have conspiracy theories but that's another subject....:ohwell:

Anyway, again, welcome everyone! I'm glad you're here!
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone - I am new to the group ... so nice to find this group because I am having serious problems now. From 6 p.m. - bedtime is the worst time for me. Every night I feel like I vow "tomorrow is going to be better! I can fix this tomorrow!" and then, the next night, I am telling myself the same lies and making the same mistakes.

It's crazy, idiotic, asinine. I am SO MAD AT MYSELF. It's like I refuse to tell myself no. My weight problem is obvious, and my eating problem is obvious, but I just keep shoving it in.

If I want to change, why is it so hard? If it's this hard, do I really want to change?

I am seeing a counselor (just started recently). I know I need to build a support system. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Please friend me - I feel like a lot of my MFP friends don't understand this (I have this idea that they look at my diary and think 'really? are you insane?!'); it would be nice to have some friends who've "been there" and have some extra sympathy for this stupid "eat and repeat" cycle I'm stuck in.

OK thanks for listening ................
  • yahifranch
    yahifranch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!! I am new to the group as well. I have used MFP inconsistently for more than a year and I just realized while logging today after 3 months of not using it I have gained about 40 pounds during this year!!!! This is so crazy... I am really depressed about it and I really need support to get back on track, for my health and my well being.

I am so glad this group was created. I need help and support from others that know exactly what I am going through, as most of the above comments have stated. I currently have no friends on MFP, so please feel free to add me as a friend and I hope we will help each other with our struggles.

Take care, everyone! :happy:
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If I want to change, why is it so hard? If it's this hard, do I really want to change?

Did anyone else watch 60 minutes last night where they were talking about addiction? I found it very interesting to see yet another story about how the brain works and why it's so hard to recover from any addiction. The doctor they interviewed said "if it were easy to 'just say no', there wouldn't be a problem with obesity, addiction, alcoholism, etc."

Totally agree. It's not easy to just say no! Nor is it easy to change. "Normal people" don't get it - they think, just stop eating....I wish it were that easy! And another study proves it.

I really wish it was something that just "goes away" but I've been dealing with eating disorders since I was 12 and unfortunately I think I'll have to work on it for the rest of my life. It is what it is. I know I'm not alone and I'm sure there are many more people with this problem than are here in this group.

I'm glad you all are here!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and gals!

I don't mean to take you away from this group, but there are 2 binge eating support groups and the other one has a daily conversation thread. Please join me. It is a non-judgmental place to share thoughts, ideas, experiences, successes, lapses, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/376-binge-eating-support

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/582481-may-june-bed-conversation-thread