Tattoos & WLS

Options
I am getting gastric bypass on May 9th. I have 6 tattoos and I am getting another on saturday. Does anyone have tattoos and have noticed a change in them after weight loss? Does anyone have any before and after pics of their tats?

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on where they are. Be prepared to have a lot of excess skin after you lose all your weight.
  • puttingmyselfoutthere
    Options
    I don't have any tattoos that are on parts of my body that have excess skin potential..like inner thigh, inner upper arm, stomach.. Are there other spots I should be worried about ?
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Boobs. And tramp stamps. If you get a lower body lift anything on the small of your back will be affected.
  • puttingmyselfoutthere
    Options
    Just got a shoulder tat on saturday :D
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    So far my tattoos are ok. I have one on my chest, my shoulder, my wrist and my ankle. I want to get a lower back one but I am not getting any new ones until after I reach goal weight and see where plastics are going to be needed. I know I will need a body lift and some new boobs...but I dont have any ink that should get in the way there.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My one tat is fine, ...but truthfully, I'd hold off on getting any more until you're at your goal weight and you've maintained for a while. Not everyone has tremendous amounts of excess skin after the weight loss---I was really fortunate and did not. That said, it took a year of exercise and just body readjusting before everything seemed to settle. My face, during the first year, looked a little caved in and I had some looser skin around my neck and chin but it's not bad now--hardly noticeable. So, you never know what your body will do and you may just want to hold off a bit.