Anyone else,,Plateau on low carb?

Options
Yogie14
Yogie14 Posts: 14 Member
I have not noticed a change in weight or inches in a couple weeks. Anyone else have this happen on low carb? I have been doing it since Feburary! I love it!

Replies

• hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind, open your diary so we can peek in and maybe spot trouble spots. There can be several reasons from not enough food, too high sodium, not enough water, etc.
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    Hi im also like that right now, been about 3 weeks but it maybe cos ive not been so careful with my eating. I havent put any on but havent lost either. Ive had a stressful few weeks, new puppy, moved house and had the flu !!! so ive either hardly eaten a thing or ive eaten the wrong things altogether.

I started on Feb 1st following the Atkins programme and ive lost 28lbs so far so im more than happy.
    I started again yesterday putting a real effort in to get back on track. :smile:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind, open your diary so we can peek in and maybe spot trouble spots. There can be several reasons from not enough food, too high sodium, not enough water, etc.

I second this, it would help if we could take a look at your diary.

I think plateaus come with any eating plan- they key is to stick at it :o) If I go for more than 1 month of loosing I will do a couple of weeks of strict induction (Atkins) and that seems to get things started again.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have been four weeks with no loss on the scale (I only weigh in once a week). BUT--I have noticed my clothes fit better and I have lost inches around my waist chest and belly. I'm still frustrated about the scale. I lost 8 pounds the first three weeks of induction and then stalled. I think that while I was looking a net carbs I wasn't following the Atkins book because I wasn't eating enough--often below 1200 and always less that 1200 net. The best thing for you to do is stick with it and take your measurements.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have been four weeks with no loss on the scale (I only weigh in once a week). BUT--I have noticed my clothes fit better and I have lost inches around my waist chest and belly. I'm still frustrated about the scale. I lost 8 pounds the first three weeks of induction and then stalled. I think that while I was looking a net carbs I wasn't following the Atkins book because I wasn't eating enough--often below 1200 and always less that 1200 net. The best thing for you to do is stick with it and take your measurements.

If you have started exercising it is very important to take your measurements. You may be losing fat and gaining muscle so the scale isn't moving. I don't care if I don't lose any weight as long as I get smaller.
  • mountainmare
    Options
    Remember me--the four weeks and no loss very sad person. Well today I weighed in and lost 3 pounds!! I usually weigh in on Saturdays but will be away and had to do today. THREE POUNDS!!!
    two weeks ago I was feeling washed out for my workouts and added a few more healthy carbs back and looked at my calories--which were low for the net (after exercise). I reset my net from 1200 to 1350 and this week have tried to net at least 1000, which means I'm eating well over 1500. AND I lost three pounds.
    I had been losing inches and looking thinner in my clothes, feeling stronger in my workouts. So hang in there it really will change for you.
  • Yogie14
    Yogie14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Plateau broke! Lost a pound this week! Patience,,,,:flowerforyou:
  • mountainmare
    Options
    Congrats on sticking with it. Feels good to keep with the plan and get results.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind... the scale is not and never will be an accurate tool for measuring weight loss. You could easily plateau for two months at the same weight but, if you yank out the measuring tape and see some serious decreased numbers - THAT is your accurate method of weight loss being measured.

Do not ever rely on the scale.... it is ****not**** the best tool for weight loss at all.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I do low carb to try to lower my blood sugar. I need to lose 120 more lbs. I am down 80 but seem to be stuck there. I know I need more exercise, but it was working so well for the first 80 lbs. Being stuck at minus 80 lbs. is starting to suck. I think my eating log is open to the public.
  • Shandril
    Shandril Posts: 36
    Options
    Morgori,
    Love the Elk photo!

I am stuck also. First month of working out I dropped almost ten ... but am now the same for almost two months.

Don't have more time to work out! Am there 5X week for 1 1/2 ... i have a full time job & household to run ... ugh!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I do low carb to try to lower my blood sugar. I need to lose 120 more lbs. I am down 80 but seem to be stuck there. I know I need more exercise, but it was working so well for the first 80 lbs. Being stuck at minus 80 lbs. is starting to suck. I think my eating log is open to the public.

I think you might want to eat more. You have days where you've eaten a good amount then you have days that you eat less than 1000 cals. Try to keep a little closer to your recommended eating level and that may knock you off your plateau. That sausage sounds good!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yep, the plateaus are normal. I've gone months at roughly the same weight, fluctuating a bit, but my pants are starting to fall off now. Best advice for stalls is to check the ingredients of everything that you buy that is pre-made...it's ming boggling how much hidden sugar, wheat, and other nonsense is in foods.

I've started being more vigilant than I had in a while and starting to notice progress. I want to loose another 20lbs this year, and hopefully another 20lbs beyond that as my ultimate goal, but sometimes it's very frustrating and slow going.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    @Shandril – That picture was taken from my brother-in-law’s backyard in Highland Ranch CO.

@Sharonks – I think the only days I ate only 100 calories I must have been sick.
  • demuralist
    demuralist Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Research shows that while exercise is great for many things it does not create weight loss.

The Precision Nutrition website has a series of free videos on weight loss. In one of them they list 10 "proven" habits for fat loss. They want you to choose 1 that you know you can religiously do for 14 days. You could try one of those.

Most recently I decided to weigh everything that is not already pre-measured that I eat. It has gotten me kick started, lost 3 pounds so far. Worth a shot.