Questions for first timers...

Options
chocciechip
chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
I am just setting up a couple of discussion topics to get people going - but if this is your first time doing the 30DS post your questions in here there are plenty of us who have tried and succeeded/failed to do the 30 DS a couple of times (lol) so we should be able to answer any questions you got! there are also many discussions on the forum board about the shred so please check on there as well!

Happy Shredding!

Replies

• 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am Karin from Ontario and completely new on this site and all that comes with it.....thanks for creating this thread, I am looking forward to getting to know all of you a bit better and to be fitter and slimmer by the end of May!

By reading through the posts, I get the feeling the 30 DS comes with some rules and a plan....where can I get these from?

Thanks,
    Karin
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    well if you bought the dvd, Jillian explains it to you, but the basics are it's 3 levels, which she spreads across 30 days. Now I know that some people do this differently and it's about working at your own pace really, some do 5 days then a rest, then the next 5 days rest then move on to the next level. Others do a day, then a rest then a day then a rest obviously that takes longer. If you're completely new and struggling then don't move on to the next level until you feel ready for the challenge and just do the best you can!

I struggle with pushups due to wrist and back injuries, so I try and do a couple, or else I do them up against a wall - i definitely can't keep up the same pace that they do in the video!!
  • 26Nirak
    Options
    Ok, thanks - I did not realize this challenge was based on a dvd...I don't have it and just do my own exercise program....I don't want to jeopardize the group's standards, but if it is ok I would like to stay.
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I know many people complain of knee pain as a heads up: Take it easy and use a pillow for knee pushups. It really helps :) The pain will go away. I still get bruises from push ups but no pain.
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ^ Good point. I never had any knee problems, but my knees were very sore after this. I was doing it in my apartment at the time with only socks on, and no yoga mat. Make sure you wear comfy sneakers and use a yoga mat; that will reduce the impact and make it a little easier on the knees.
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I realize I have a question. When does the Shred end? I know everyone will be doing this at their own pace, which is great! I think I will be doing 5 days a week (not necessarily in a row), so that means each level will take two weeks and I will most likely be done on or around June 10th.
  • Gladiolus
    Gladiolus Posts: 20
    Options
    Ok, thanks - I did not realize this challenge was based on a dvd...I don't have it and just do my own exercise program....I don't want to jeopardize the group's standards, but if it is ok I would like to stay.

Karin62,

You don't need to buy it (although I hear it's only about $10.00). Somebody uploated it to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8 Just click that link and you're in!
  • tosmoothash
    tosmoothash Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My ? is.... I know that you are supposed to work at your own pace however is it 10 days per level or 30 days at each level???
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'm a first timer too, but from what I understand its (ideally) 10 day per level.

I also have a question. I don't own a HRM, so what should I log it as?
  • 26Nirak
    Options
    Thanks a bunch - I throw myself into then, need to change up my routine anyway......
    My measurements this morning were quite the eye-opener....while I weigh myself quite regularly, I had not measured myself in ages. I did not realize how much side-ways I had grown!!! Gasp!

Good Shredding, everyone!!!
  • 26Nirak
    Options
    I look at your tracker and am thinking: yes, I can....over 70 pounds, wow! Congrats!!

Thanks for showing it...very motivational!!!
  • 26Nirak
    Options
    Ok...so that's looks great - so, you guys do Level 1 for 10 days, then Level 2 for 10 and then Level 3 for 10?

Sorry for all the questions and the replying without quotes...I am learning!!!!

Happy Monday
    Karin
  • 26Nirak
    Options
    One more question (for now)...how do you guys log the workout?
  • netsirk12
    Options
    One more question (for now)...how do you guys log the workout?

circit training general :)
  • SgtMindy
    SgtMindy Posts: 53
    Options
    Okay, odd question(s):
    1) how much floor space do we need available? Is 3'x7' a large enough open space?
    2) is it horrible if I don't own any free weights for this?

Thank you!!!
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Okay, odd question(s):
    1) how much floor space do we need available? Is 3'x7' a large enough open space?
    2) is it horrible if I don't own any free weights for this?

Thank you!!!

do you have any cans of veggies or soup? they aren't bad for starting out.

For level one, as long as you can do jumping jacks in the space and lay down fully, your fine, not sure about 2 and 3.
  • bpg79
    bpg79 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After reading the previous posts I see that each level is 10 days. Is it meant to be done on alternating days so not to over work the muscles or consecutiven days?
  • netsirk12
    Options
    there is not alot of space needed for any of the levels. Just enough to do pushups and lunges. U can also find level 1 on youtube if u want to hold off on buying it!
  • tosmoothash
    tosmoothash Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    thanks for answering my ?. Yes 72lbs down and another 128 to go. Yes I can...you can...we all can!!!
  • kjenner929
    kjenner929 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Katie and I'm located in North Carolina. I have never tried 30ds but I figure I will give it the old college try ;). I will post my measurements tomorrow and pick up the DVD.