My first Full...training help, please

Options
ninamm3
ninamm3 Posts: 107 Member
Alright, experienced Marathon-ing friends ...I need a plan. When I trained for the Half last year, we started our official training only 12 weeks out. My "off" season is officially over and I have a 5K (March25), 10K (April 14), Half (September 30), and Full (October 21) on the books. Plus at least 2 more return 5Ks over the summer (June & July). WHAT ARE YOUR FULL MARATHON TRAINING PLANS? This will be my first...so nothing too aggressive.

Thanks,
Nina
www.runningsforthebirds.blogspot.com

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    For my first full marathon I followed Hal higdons plan. I finished feeling good! It's a sensible 1st timer plan.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm following the coolrunnings 20 week training plan- i had a long time between runs so i decided to have a longer training program. the thing about this plan is that the longest long run is marathon distance. i've decided that this is too much, so have just decided to do 4x 20-23 mile training runs (rather than a 20, 22, 24 and 26).

i've never run a marathon either, but i think i'd rather go with a plan that had some cross training in it- the coolrunnings plan just has 5 days of running a week (some tempo runs, shorter and long runs). i'm feeling a bit over running now, tbh!
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my first full I used Hal Higdon's plan.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has great plans and they have worked great for me. My first full someone suggested reading the book the Non Runners Marathon Trainer, it was a great book with a great plan. If you don't want to follow a book go with Hal
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I use my own plan based on Arthur Lydiard. http://www.runbayou.com/ArthurLydiard.pdf

Sun 90 min
    Mon 60 min
    Tue 90 min
    Wed 60 min
    Thu 120 min Long Run or track speedwork (intervals)
    Fri Rest or short recovery run
    Sat 2 to 3 hours

Doubles (3-6 mi) on as many days as you can handle
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Another +1 for Hal Higdon's site/program. I'm running my fifth full in Cincinnati this May and for the past few marathons, I've been trying to stick to a regimen with the "Intermediate" plans for scheduled running.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I followed the ChiRunning Marathon book for my first marathon. This time around, I'm using Run Less Run Faster. The RLRF isn't a plan for first time marathon IMO. I used Hal Higdon for my first "official" half, which I ran after my first marathon - and was pleased with it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would say start now at building as solid of a base as you can (safely) and carrrying that up until about 16 weeks out from the race and then picking a plan that goes along with your fitness & mileage level at that time.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I belong to a running cvlub and use the resident coach. Our marathon training goes has 3 6 week cycles and looks something like this

M - recovery miles with strides (double ok)
    T - track
    W - General aerobic/LR pace miles - up to 90 min (double ok)
    Th - recovery to xt
    F- recovery miles
    Sat - strength/endurance miles (hill repeats/tempo/building pace)
    Sun - long run & weights
  • BackBySpring
    BackBySpring Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Alright, experienced Marathon-ing friends ...I need a plan. When I trained for the Half last year, we started our official training only 12 weeks out. My "off" season is officially over and I have a 5K (March25), 10K (April 14), Half (September 30), and Full (October 21) on the books. Plus at least 2 more return 5Ks over the summer (June & July). WHAT ARE YOUR FULL MARATHON TRAINING PLANS? This will be my first...so nothing too aggressive.

Thanks,
    Nina
    www.runningsforthebirds.blogspot.com

Same here, looking for a plan to follow. Was hoping to find something that doesn't involve running every day though. When training for my first (& so far only) half I followed the plan in this book Marathon and Half-Marathon: The Beginner's Guide by Marnie Caron. It involved training 6 days a week, but only 3 of those were runs. I guess I'll check out Hal Higdon, since everyone seems to be happy with it...
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm another one for Hal Higdon. There are several to choose from. I use the Higdon programs for my half training and am using his program for my first full in October.
  • BackBySpring
    Options
    have been checking out Higdon's plans. Not sure if I'm better off following Novice 1 or be ambitious and aim for Novice 2. Any advice anyone? I've run a half so far (2h09min) but am feeling kinda confident about my abilities at the moment (may be due to sudden increased dose of sun;)
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    have been checking out Higdon's plans. Not sure if I'm better off following Novice 1 or be ambitious and aim for Novice 2. Any advice anyone? I've run a half so far (2h09min) but am feeling kinda confident about my abilities at the moment (may be due to sudden increased dose of sun;)

It depends on how much time you have to run and what you are aiming for in full. There are two differences between Novice 1 and Novice 2: slight increase in miles and pace runs once a week. If you are aiming for a specific time, I would go with Novice 2.

I find the pace runs to be good for me as a mental step.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Same here, looking for a plan to follow. Was hoping to find something that doesn't involve running every day though. When training for my first (& so far only) half I followed the plan in this book Marathon and Half-Marathon: The Beginner's Guide by Marnie Caron. It involved training 6 days a week, but only 3 of those were runs. I guess I'll check out Hal Higdon, since everyone seems to be happy with it...

I've only done a 1/2 marathon, and followed Hal Higdon (loosely) because everyone recommended him. I ended up running 3x/week most weeks (2 shorter runs + 1 long one) and used the other 3 days for cross training (circuit training 2 days, spin 1 day). I found that my circuit training class was the BEST thing I could've done. Our teacher models it on CrossFit workouts, and I was able to build up the miles and build stamina for hills much better than when I was trying to run 5x/week. I feel like it even improved my breathing, and my form.

I think you can modify any plan you choose and find what works for you...just a beginner's opinion, though.
  • BackBySpring
    Options
    thanks ladies :)
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Happy to see so many recommendations for Hal Higdon's training plans. I read his book a few months ago, and I'm starting training soon for my first marathon this October. I'm using the Novice 2 plan!
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't have a plan for a half marathon I hope do do in july but AI just ran a 12K race yesterday and my training for that started back in Feb. I can only run three times a week. I get two short runs and then a long run. I had been getting to a short run of six to seven miles with a long run of nine miles when I got sunstroke and had to be off from running a couple weeks and then it took a while for my body to bounce back. Currently my short run is four miles and my long run is five to six. I hope to increast that soon si I can come up with a training plan for the half. I need to get my pace per mile down so I will be starting speedwork later this week. Also a good idea to get in hill work. There is always a hill somewhere in most long races.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I used Marathon Training academy for my first, created my own for my upcoming second.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I followed Hal Higdon's training guide for my first, mixing it up between the novice and intermediate guide, and tweaking it to fit my needs. This time I'm making my own training plan, but basing it off of Hal's intermediate and advanced training plans. I can tell you I felt very prepared for my marathon following Hal's plan. Also, you will probably get the urge to want to run more than 20 miles during training but trust me, you don't need to. That's more stress to put on your body that just isn't necessary. Good luck!