Protein Shakes

Options
newve
newve Posts: 82 Member
Any suggestions on which one to get or are they all just about the same?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I generally look for low carb ones.

I use a mix of different ones. My "Calorie filler" protein shakes are Pure Protein from Target. They are 20 bucks for two pounds.

For my after workout shakes, I use GNC WheyBolic 60.
  • kcmom2four
    kcmom2four Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I got the gnc amplified wheybolic extreme 60 and I like it. I was amazed at how big the scoops are though...and it takes three to make 60g protein. It blended in my shake well though.

Before that I tried designer whey and it left a nasty taste in my mouth for a long time.

Hope that helped.
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have been getting the Eat Good Look Great Pure Protein Shakes it has 35g of protein in one can. Frosty chocolate is really good and does not taste chalky.
  • darcialarosa
    darcialarosa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been told to watch out for artificial sweeteners and see if the whey is from grass-fed cows. Until I can get to GNC (I refuse to order anything I haven't tasted) I've just been using CVS-brand powder. It's not too bad!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    From a suggestion on this board, I got Jillian Michaels Whey Protein 100 calorie mix.

In NROL4W, it was suggested to mix one scoop of protein powder with a SlimFast Shake.

I did that today and it was really good but.......I kinda chugged it and my tummy was in distress for over an hour!!

Live and learn!

(did I mention this was the first time I ever drank a protein shake?)
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I prefer Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard--the Double Rich Chocolate variety. Blend with skim milk, and it is delicious. (:
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    From a suggestion on this board, I got Jillian Michaels Whey Protein 100 calorie mix.

In NROL4W, it was suggested to mix one scoop of protein powder with a SlimFast Shake.

I did that today and it was really good but.......I kinda chugged it and my tummy was in distress for over an hour!!

Live and learn!

(did I mention this was the first time I ever drank a protein shake?)

I have had tummy troubles from Slim Fast in the past - Not sure what it is in those drinks, but I avoid them for now.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Jillian Michael's one today as well and tried it in protein pancakes and it was okay.

15 grams of protein and 100 calories.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I've been told to watch out for artificial sweeteners and see if the whey is from grass-fed cows. Until I can get to GNC (I refuse to order anything I haven't tasted) I've just been using CVS-brand powder. It's not too bad!

I've also been on the hunt for ones without artificial sweetners. I'm using MRM 100% All Natural Vanilla Whey, 4EverFit Natural Tropical Mango, Dymatize Elite Natural. Check out netrition.com. They have a ton of choices, low prices, low shipping. I've been happy ordering from them. They have all the nutrition info. listed, too.
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also got the jillian Michael whey protein mix. I use it with almond milk, strawberries, banana, blueberries and sometimes cooca powder. YUMMMM!!! Its like a milkshake and cures my sweet tooth also! :laugh:
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    Ok big question I thought protein shakes were bad for you and if you start then then you are on them for the rest of your life? Is this true or false??? Help!!
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also just started using the GNC AMP mentioned above (I forget the official name for it.) I went into GNC and fell for their trap and bought it! It is expensive, but it is really tasty and if this powder says what it does it works much faster absorbing in your system, etc.

I definitely like it, I just don't know if it is the best "bang for your buck."
  • annw66
    annw66 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok big question I thought protein shakes were bad for you and if you start then then you are on them for the rest of your life? Is this true or false??? Help!!

Why? That seems silly. Of course you aren't on them for the rest of your life. If you don't want to drink them, you stop.

Personally I cannot stand any of the artificially flavored /sweetened ones. I prefer unflavored natural (currently using NOW Sports) and either sweeten it with fruit or agave and banana or some malt powder like I read someone else does. It's good. No aftertaste.
  • Freida_MS
    Freida_MS Posts: 100
    Options
    I also got the Jillian Michael whey protein mix. I use it with almond milk, strawberries, blueberries, and /or yogurt.