Our First Monthly: Bring on the May Flowers!

Options
trail_rnr
trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
OK, let's try a monthly thread. Maybe that will keep people posting.

Come here, tell us about your trail runs through the month of May. Where are you running? How far? Effort? What are you training for? What can the collective mind help you with?

Share some pictures! Make us laugh! You get the idea.

Replies

• trail_rnr
    Options
    OK, I will reply to my own post. May will be an interesting month for me. I started with a new coach this week getting ready for my August event. But before that I have a 50m on June 2, so I will have my last big-girl run the second weekend of May.

I am having a hard time reconciling perceived effort and % of max heart rate, so I think I might go to the university here in town and get the low-budget VO2 max testing done. I think I will skip the body fat testing for now! :noway:

Happy May, everyone!
  • ovenboy
    ovenboy Posts: 10
    Options
    I had my first outing of the year yesterday and it went well. I walked a good proportion of it of course, its going to take me a few weeks to get back up to speed. The trail was muddy, therre was a lot of deadfall from the winter and the stream were swollen from the recent downpours. I made one slightly dodgy stream jump, thought i was going i, just about made it though. The ferns are just pushing through the forest floor and i didnt see a soul. Lovely. Good times.

heres my route: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/28857812
  • trail_rnr
    Options
    Sounds awesome. You touched on many of the things I love about the trails: water, plants, solitude, and adventure.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Running in a 15k hybrid race on Saturday morning, the first 4 miles are through a trail in a pine forest at a state park in Cola, SC. It's actually almost in my backyard. I'm a teacher so I run the bike trail almost everyday during the summer, since I don't work. Throughout the school year, I use it only for my long runs. The trail is 6 miles, so depending on my goals I run through it once or twice. or part way to a certain mile marker and walk the rest of the way out.

Love to run it in the morning as the animals begin to stir and the sun streams through the forest. I have seen lots of animals in the park, including wild turkeys, deer, foxes, rabbits, snakes (hate those), and even bobcats (not fond of these either). However, not looking forward to the spring and summertime humidity. It was 93 today and will be around 95 tomorrow :( Other best part- new trail shoes!
  • trail_rnr
    Options
    nwhitley, how was your race? I have big issues with heat. I get a little acclimated but still generally melt down. It's gotten worse with age. Hmmm.

I had a great weekend away from home at Zion National Park. Got 3 runs in, including a great long run that started at the bottom of Zion Canyon and went up to the east rim. This was an easy (cycle down) weekend for me, and it was nice to just go out and run around! This coming week is a big one and then I start a gradual taper for June 2 event. Oh! And I am having the maximal VO2 test this week. It will be interesting!
  • nwhitley
    Options
    The race!! I loved the distance, but the heat, humidity, and hills were no joke. The race started at 7:30 and it was already 80 degrees. It was also very humid. Yuck! My the time I finished I looked like I had taken a shower with my clothes on. I never drink anything when running less than 10 miles. During this race, I had to drink at every station which thank goodness was about every 2-3 miles. Way too many hills, but that's another story!! The canyon sounds nice. Those are the best runs when you are free to just run without worrying about your pace.

Are you doing the treadmill test or something else? I'm sure that will be interesting to find out your VO2 max.
    nwhitley, how was your race? I have big issues with heat. I get a little acclimated but still generally melt down. It's gotten worse with age. Hmmm.

I had a great weekend away from home at Zion National Park. Got 3 runs in, including a great long run that started at the bottom of Zion Canyon and went up to the east rim. This was an easy (cycle down) weekend for me, and it was nice to just go out and run around! This coming week is a big one and then I start a gradual taper for June 2 event. Oh! And I am having the maximal VO2 test this week. It will be interesting!
  • trail_rnr
    Options
    Yes, a treadmill test. It was not nearly as bad/hard as I feared. Results coming in the mail. My legs went first! It was kind of frustrating.

Did a good tempo run on the track tonight. I don't run off-trail very often, but I do notice a difference when I do speed work. There was a soccer game going on at a field next to the track. It was weird to be running with so many people around! :grumble:
  • trail_rnr
    Options
    Weekend runs, anyone?
  • nwhitley
    Options
    Yes, ran 11 miles on a 6 mile trail- 2 loops (walked the last mile). Great weather!! Only downside was I guess I was the 1st person that morning b/c I kept running into cobwebs. Yuck!! That is the worst feeling ever!