Any home practioners?

Options
odonogc
odonogc Posts: 223 Member
I do my yoga practice 100% at home. I have a bunch of dvds that I rotate through. I think at this point I probably do each one about once a week.

Are there any other fans of doing yoga at home? I'd love to chat about what dvds you use and such.

Replies

• sheschemes
    Options
    I have a hard time practicing at home, mostly because I find the dvds less relaxing then a class. (Carpeted floors don't help either). Lately I've been watching the videos on YogaJournal.com and am trying to establish my own non-video routines. Which DVDs do you use?
  • megswindel
    megswindel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started out with a lot of at home yoga classes. I use yogadownload.com. I like going to classes still though just because I tend to challenge myself and hold myself more accountable in a class as opposed to in the my house where no one can see me slacking. I also like that there's a professional there that can correct my form and help me progress safely to more challenging poses.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm so used to practicing at home, I'm not sure when I'll get back to a studio. It just seems really time consuming and expensive now!

These are some of my favorites, I have a big rotation

http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Power-Complete-Collection/dp/B0001WTWYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336074286&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Kristin-McGee-Power-Yoga-Mcgee/dp/B000HBKZ52/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1336074464&sr=1-1

This is pilates, not yoga, but a great companion

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Pilates-Kristin-McGee/dp/B001HZ4K7G/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1336074383&sr=1-1

If people want more, let me know.
  • tigjer
    tigjer Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I practice yoga at home quite regularly too!

I love Rainbeau Mars' Yoga for Beauty series which I'll do around once/ week...I also do an Ashtanga short form or half primary a few times a week as well, sometimes following along with the David Swenson DVD and sometimes just on my own...

I love Ashtanga...you can really see yourself progress if you stick with it!
  • Sammybunny711
    Sammybunny711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do my yoga at home, too! Since most of my "entertainment" money goes towards my martial arts classes, I can't really afford to do a yoga class yet. I love being at home in the peace and quiet, though, with a great DVD guide, or self led vinyasa.
  • brittbap
    brittbap Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do Rodney Yee or Shiva Rea DVDs when I practice at home. I also like Kathryn Budig's DVD and Mandy Inberg's. Does anybody know of a good Ashtanga DVD out there?
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Yoga a couple weeks ago. I started out by doing 15-30 minutes of the P90x yoga DVD at a time and then I went and bought a beginner Yoga DVD. It's a really nice compliment to my other current workout program (5/3/1 Powerlifting) because it's already improved my flexibility a bit. I used to practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as well and I plan to get back into it after I lose some more weight. I'm sure Yoga will compliment that wonderfully as well.
  • monkeybuddha
    monkeybuddha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, I practice yoga 100% at home too as I can't afford classes at the moment. I don't tend to use dvd's but a lot of YouTube videos instead, especially Tara Stiles and Sadie Nardini. I've also just joined My Yoga Online which I'm loving so far and seems to have a massive selection of videos. If anyone else knows of any good online options I'd love to hear!
  • hotcandad
    Options
    Because I have a camp job, I do most of my yoga on my own in my room (I work at a refinery). I rotate through some of the Gaia yoga videos, and videos on MyYoga.com. When I do get home on my week off I try to get in to at least one Bikram class just for the feeling of support and for the mental cleanse I experience.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This is kind of an older thread, but here goes.

I do most of my yoga at home, about three times a week. I go to a class on Saturday mornings, when I can (maybe twice a month). I don't follow any videos or DVDs, I make it up as I go along. I love sun salutations and have certain poses that I always like to do. Then I have a couple poses that I am working on (right now crow, headstand, and half moon). I go to the class to get ideas and make sure my alignment is correct.

I too follow Tara Stiles. I also like Rachel Brathen for inspiration. I was just introduced to Doyogawithme.com. Haven't had a chance to do any of the videos, but I've looked at a few and they look great.

I've been pretty diligent about it for two months and have really noticed a change (for the better) in my overall balance. I like to mountain bike and although I'm still terrible at it, I find it less difficult to stay upright when I go over rocks and roots.