Buying weights or gym?

Options
I've maxed out the amount of weight I can currently get on my bar and dumbells - currently only 35kg, but I can't physically fit any more on. There vinyl weights which I've read are thicker than cast iron and take up more space on the bar.

So I'm at a conundrum:
a) time to join a gym?
b) invest in a cast iron set of weights?

On ebay cast iron weights are selling for about £1/kg, but guessing that even then I would need the largest weights for £ as there must be a limit to how many of those would fit on a bar?

What does everyone else do - gym or buy weights? If bought, where have you got them from?

Thanks

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have my own home gym.

Got most of it second hand.

281965_10150327075625923_594850922_9996854_4737535_n.jpg

So convenient and no curls in the squat rack!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the gym, a whole range of equipment and no need to pay a whole bunch of money all at once. Plus I like seeing the regulars there and finding out how they're getting on. Plus you'll nearly always have a spotter :smile:

If you don't care much for other people around while you workout, or have the money (and the space) at hand to buy stuff for home though that sounds a good idea too, it's personal preference.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Personally I love the convince of the 30 second trip to the gym, the built in child care, the no waiting for equipment, and the no douche bags rule in my home gym.

You might need to get a better bar and some different weights, but I can lift up to 445 (220 kg). Err well I should say I can get 445 on the bar if I need to. Can't lift that yet, but getting there.

It's more up front, but it's much less in the long run. That combined with the convenience makes me love having my home gym.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Personally I love the convince of the 30 second trip to the gym, the built in child care, the no waiting for equipment, and the no douche bags rule in my home gym.

You might need to get a better bar and some different weights, but I can lift up to 445 (220 kg). Err well I should say I can get 445 on the bar if I need to. Can't lift that yet, but getting there.

It's more up front, but it's much less in the long run. That combined with the convenience makes me love having my home gym.

Totally agree. You don't have to buy everything at once either. Power rack, bar & weights & a bench will keep you busy for a long time!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the others on the home gym. If you get things second hand you can start building a decent sized gym pretty quick. It is entirely possible to have everything at home and get just as good of a workout. It is going to be up to you. A few things to consider.
    1) do you have the space for a power rack at a minimum?
    2) is a power rack, bench, olympic bar, weights and whatever else you need to get started within your budget?
    3) how long can you tolerate idiots being in your way and annoying you at a commercial gym?
  • bigpopsonswole
    Options
    I go to both a gym and workout at my home gym. Days that I want to leave work and stop by the gym or don't want to be around the house I go to the gym.

But there are those days that I want to be at home and not be bothered with the crowds (I get that way every time I get to the local gym). I hate having to waith for equipment, I hate seeing people BS around and not using the equipment that someone could be actually be using. And although I do bring a towel. I've notice how increasingly filthy people can be after leaving the equipment.

So yeah invest in some weight and build up your gym!