Wonder Walkers

Options
KahuNZ
KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
This is a site for women walkers
Now I have my little Fitbit which is going to live on me I decided to do a virtual walk of New Zealand (suggested by another MFP friend). My Fitbit, like a pedometer shows steps as well as kilometers.
Is anyone else interested in doing this?

The link is www.wonderwalkers.co.nz
You register on the site and then go to the 'walk diary'.
You start a new challenge and pick what it is. The length of NZ is approx 3000km. Then you enter your kilometers each day - and it marks it on the map.

Replies

• BundangKiwiGal
    BundangKiwiGal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - it looks fabulous!! I'm just taking a nosey at the website now, but this is something that I would definitely want to get into once I get home. Two and a bit months to go and counting!! Might even rally the family and get the nieces and nephews involved, and away from their PS3s/ X-Boxes, etc. Cheers :smile: :smile:
  • hamsio
    hamsio Posts: 26
    Options
    Sounds interesting.. might give it a go. Would be cool to see how far you walk add up over a year... :)
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - it looks fabulous!! I'm just taking a nosey at the website now, but this is something that I would definitely want to get into once I get home. Two and a bit months to go and counting!! Might even rally the family and get the nieces and nephews involved, and away from their PS3s/ X-Boxes, etc. Cheers :smile: :smile:
    You can start before you come home....it is virtual :smile:
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Logged on, and looking forward to 'seeing the sights' ... :happy: Lets keep posting our progress.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Logged on, and looking forward to 'seeing the sights' ... :happy: Lets keep posting our progress.
    Great! I will post my progress once a week on this site. Will update daily on the WW site using my Fitbit calculations. This includes all my steps for the day including any extra exercise. What a challenge!
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    I put the suggestion of this challenge at work and have quite a few people interested. I think a few will be going out and buying pedometers on their days off.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Finished the first week with 82kms - this includes all my steps for the day as well as walking/running on the treadmill. Motivated another 12 people at work to get on board.
  • Lukasmum1
    Options
    Good distance. WTG

As of 3/4/12... covered 60.3 km. Good motivator for walking.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    As of 13/84/12 199kms done - at least now I can see the little flag moved!
  • Lukasmum1
    Options
    104.6 km so far... Logging my work distances as well because I do 4 - 6km while on shift, and work has been quite tiring lately - cutting in to my other exercise time.

I have a slight track showing on my map.
  • mellygates22
    Options
    Have signed up - now to find a pedometer that works - or buy a new one....
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Have signed up - now to find a pedometer that works - or buy a new one....
    Good for you - if you have the money get a Fitbit on Amazon (not available in NZ) cost about $130 delivered. They are a great motivator to get you moving and seem very accurate for counting steps.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Only starting out but ticked up 27km now. Just waiting for the dot to move down a bit. Numbers are changing but no line yet hehehehe. Great to see the progress though
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Hows everyone's week been?
    I am at 306kms from the north
    Nearly all at work who have signed up now have pedometers so they are starting to track their way down as well. Quite motivating and its good that it gets us moving.
  • Lukasmum1
    Options
    As of today - 157.9 km. :-)
  • Lukasmum1
    Options
    1st of May... 185km. Yay
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    what a cool idea! I guess you need something to track your steps though?
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hi Paxier.
    I go to mapometer.com if i am out and about running/walking and it tells me how far i have gone. Or to take the reading of my cross trainer. It goes by km you have done not steps. :)
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi Paxier.
    I go to mapometer.com if i am out and about running/walking and it tells me how far i have gone. Or to take the reading of my cross trainer. It goes by km you have done not steps. :)

ok thanks. I guessi could log my runs I do then, as i track them with Runkeeper.
  • Lukasmum1
    Options
    Hi Paxier,

I use My tracks app on my phone. Needs GPS but really good, then use a pedometer at work for my distance there.