Intolerance to heat??

Options
debbylee22
debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
Hi,
I'm on my 3rd week on a low dose of synthroid. I have noticed an increasing intolerance to heat, and have been actually breaking out in a sweat after falling to sleep.
Is this a symptom of hypothyroidism, or a reaction to synthroid? Online you can find both.
I also have had a cold the whole month... so its hard for me to know what's causing it. And I have to admit, I have always felt uncomfortable getting too hot or too cold, but it is worse for the heat now.
Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Droope2
    Droope2 Posts: 82
    Options
    OMG yes.....
    I can break out in a sweat just going to the bathroom, I am not out of breath or so huge that it would give me any reason to be sweating, I just do, constantly! My face has broken out so bad in the last year of being on synthroid, I feel like a teenager again! You are not alone, sadly I don't have any suggestions, I just deal with it, but it does make me very irritable!
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Uh oh! That's not good. Have you told your Dr? Seems like they should change to something else?
    Thanks for responding!
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It happens to me to, I live in Texas. It seems the heat will make me fatigued and sweaty as well.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I find that I get hot easily ( like a burning from the inside, not a reaction to an outside temperature) when my dose is too high. You should get your levels checked again. If you're having heart palpitations or are having trouble sleeping, then your dose is definitely too high.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Really? I'm still not losing wt. ! I thought I'd be losing wt. fast if it was too high.
    Yes, palpitations & getting hot, although today didn't seem to be as bad for either one. I haven't been on it very long, its probably still adjusting, and I'm on only 75 mg. of Synthroid. I'm supposed to go in next week for another blood test. Should I go ahead of that?
    I have noticed that "hot feeling in the ears" today... its so confusing.

I just found out that they do have dissiccated thyroid 30 mg. only at my pharmacy, but they wouldn't tell me which Dr. prescribes it. :-(
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My levels have been fine for years on Levothyroxine. I find I have a terrible intolerance both ways - to heat and to cold. I have to be really careful because just a couple of degrees difference can leave me shaking with cold or melted with absolutely no energy whatsoever. And, the heat can throw me into IBS distress, which is really painful and inconvenient.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Thanks for that... I wonder if its the same for those on the natural thyroid? This is going to be really hard to handle in the summer!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Not sure if intolerance to heat is thyroid or something else? I became intolerant of heat during and after menopause. It never used to bother me, but now does.

Tonight I ran a 5K in 88 degrees -- it made my heart rate go high and sweated buckets -- but I was able to do it. Sometimes, I think it's just age! :mad:
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Ya, that's behind me.
    This heat thing just started since I started taking synthroid.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    A med-student sent me an email. She said that it sounds like I'm getting too high of a dose, because those are hyperthyroid symptoms. So, I need to get my blood-test & see my Dr.

Passing on, in case it helps others with the same issue. :bigsmile:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    A med-student sent me an email. She said that it sounds like I'm getting too high of a dose, because those are hyperthyroid symptoms. So, I need to get my blood-test & see my Dr.

Passing on, in case it helps others with the same issue. :bigsmile:

Hmmm....well I am getting hot (night sweats) or if the room is a little hot and I am exerting myself. But otherwise my hypo symptoms are still in full force. :(

Brittle hair, fatigue, low motivation and weird energy levels. :(
  • shebrah
    shebrah Posts: 4
    Options
    I sweat at night - big time. I always was a hot sleeper but after being presribed synthroid it's gotten worse. It is a common side affect according to my doctor. I'm on 112 mg now and the night sweats are just as bad as when I started on 25mg over a year ago. I do plan on asking my endocrinologist about the dessicated medication. I have heard in combination with the synthroid that fatigue is reduced.
    My dermatologist recently prescribed Aczone to help me control the acne. It's a pricey medication if your insurance doesn't want to cover it (like BCN) but it's amazing stuff. They generally give out lots of samples so I don't mind paying $50 every couple of months.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have been taking thyroid meds since I was 16 and I have always had an intolerance to hot and cold. Sometimes I can't get warm and sometimes if I get even a little overheated I feel terribly ill.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Be careful - if you have your levels tested again and you just took your meds, you can get a false reading -- I would skip the meds on the morning you are tested.

I don't think being hot means you are hyper -- I'm hot all the time and I am totally hypo. Also, being hyper doesn't mean you will lose weight... there are many on this forum that are hyper and can't lose.

It's all about metabolism -- and metabolism is a lot of things, not just TSH.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Be careful - if you have your levels tested again and you just took your meds, you can get a false reading -- I would skip the meds on the morning you are tested.

I don't think being hot means you are hyper -- I'm hot all the time and I am totally hypo. Also, being hyper doesn't mean you will lose weight... there are many on this forum that are hyper and can't lose.

Thanks for the tip. I am getting tested very soon.
  • debbylee22
    Options

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering about the reading & when to take the meds. I see that they are just going to test my TSH this time! Back to the original Dr. that had the T3 & T4 tested.

I am feeling a bit better, so I'm going to wait till next week to get it done.

I missed my midnight dose last night, so I took it at 7:30 am. Will I be OK to just go back to midnight? Or do I need to go gradually back?

Thanks for your help!
  • tecallahan
    Options

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering about the reading & when to take the meds. I see that they are just going to test my TSH this time! Back to the original Dr. that had the T3 & T4 tested.

I am feeling a bit better, so I'm going to wait till next week to get it done.

I missed my midnight dose last night, so I took it at 7:30 am. Will I be OK to just go back to midnight? Or do I need to go gradually back?

Thanks for your help!
    Sure - won't hurt to go back to your midnight dose.
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Thanks! Whew!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm hyper and before starting treatment 21 days ago, I would always be hot, out of breath, sweating after the smallest thing. And night sweats like you cannot believe. Now the meds are taking me hypo and I'm cold, cold almost inside of me. I barely sweat now and last night in bed had 4 blankets on top of my duvet just to be warm enough to sleep.
    The long and short is, my meds are taking me from hyper to hypo and so I'm getting the symptoms of hypo more now, and by the sounds of things hypo meds make you more on the hyper side so you will experience some of those symptoms
    Hope that makes sense! I'm tired today :frown:
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Thanks LottieLou,
    Poor you! Yes, I guess that's why they have to keep testing us over & over, to get the right amount. Hope yours evens out soon. I've lived with being cold all the time all my life... at least you can add more clothes! I'm afraid getting hot is going to cause me to strip down at the wrong place, wrong time! LOL...
    Part of my problem was my cold, I think. Its shifting back & forth... I sit & surf the net, keep putting on a long sleeve shirt & taking it off, only to put it back on in 5 minutes! So crazy...:noway: