Don't wanna do this

Options
gothgirlphx
gothgirlphx Posts: 25 Member
Hello, my Dr. is pushing for me to have the lap band surgery b/c of HBP, prediabetes and high triglycerides. While I agree losing weight will certainly help lower blood pressure and at least stave off diabetes for a while, the surgery is not a guarantee I'll even lose more weight than I already am.

I'm frightened to death that I won't come out of surgery. My surgeon said he's never lost anyone on the table, but he has had several die shortly thereafter (days to months) mostly from heart failure but also a couple from complications. He is the #1 rated bariatric surgeon in the state and he only does lap bands.

There is another complication. Money. I have met all my deductibles for the year; however BCBS has a "Bariatric Access Fee" of $1000 which I was unaware of. This fee must be paid out-of-pocket and in full before the surgery can be scheduled. They also require a 6-wk diet program through Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig (also out-of-pocket), an appointment with a nutritionist (out-of-pocket), an evaluation from a psychologist (out-of-pocket) and a recommendation from my primary care physician. Also, as anyone who's had this surgery knows, the band will need multiple adjustments throughout the year. These also are not covered by my insurance.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of surgery to begin with, but the surgeon and other staff at his office seem to be trying to frighten me into the surgery. I don't know what to do. I'm looking for any input, positive or negative. Thank you.

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I think you need to research all types of weight loss surgery before making a decision. Personally, I would recommend you look into the sleeve over the lap band. Similar restriction without the maintenance of the band.

I had gastric bypass and love my RNY, but i know the malabsorption scares people. I would have WLS again in a heartbeat. I love having my life back. I also did not want my kids constantly teased for having a fat mom. Kids are cruel enough without us adding to their struggle.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It needs to be your decision. Do the research and see if it's right for you. I had the LapBand, but I would have preferred the sleeve. BCBS didn't pay for it two years ago, just the band, and I didn't want to wait. Some people have great success with the band, and others don't. It's working as a tool for me when I use it and don't just let myself eat whatever I want.

I'm another who had the surgery for my kid. I wanted to be able to do things with him. It was heartbreaking for him to want anyone but me because I couldn't get on the floor and crawl around with him and such.
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you are not comfortable with surgery then do not let them push you into it. I had lap bad surgery on Jan 3 2012. I do not regret it but it was my decision. I did not go through my insurance as I had no medical condition other than I was over weight, so I understand the money thing. If you are not ready for surgery then I say do not do it. Research you doctors and the surgeries if you are thinking about it. :wink:
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I got a little confused, at first I thought it was your PCP pushing the surgery then you said you needed the letter from your PCP, which is required by all insurance types prior to WLS. I guess if you went to this doctor and all he does is the band and you don't like him or the band; you need to decide if WLS is for you and either get a new doctor with a better attitude or more choices, or just stop seeing this guy. All surgery has risks and if you can do it without help then that's the right thing for you, no one should have surgery due to peer pressure or doctor intimidation.

all insurance will require a supervised diet program, the length of time varies, for example I too have BCBS but I had to have 3 months of supervised diet. My chosen surgeon has a wrap around program out of a local hospital so I pay a copay to see him but I also have a nutritionist (copay) and a fitness trainer (out of pocket) to see once a month. I had to have a sleep apnea test (copay) and there will also be a copay for the actual surgery and the hospital overnight. Post surgery there are also appointments with the doctor, nutritionist and fitness trainer so it adds up. My doctor knows that not all insurance is created equal and some insurance companies don't cover it so he also has an out of pocket cap that he will charge for all the pre surgery appointments. Point is if you are interested in surgery you might want to shop around, maybe even drive to another town until you find a good fit for you. If you're not interested in surgery ditch this doctor and just go to your PCP and have them refer you to a nutritionist or have them supervise a diet; if you then decide surgery is for you at a later date, your doctor will already know your history and if your insurance changes and you need 2 years of documented independent dieting (like I did) your PCP will have it in your chart.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would speak directly to your insurance company and find out exactly which types of surgery are covered and how much coverage. Also I would get a second opinion for a different doctor. Intimidation is never a good thing from a doctor or staff. You need to find someone your comfortable with and who will actually hear your concerns about having surgery.
    I had an open R-N-Y on March 13, 2012, at the time I had 24 co-morbidities that qualified me for surgery. Like everyone else death was one of my biggest fears, but my surgeon actually put me at ease.
    I went on a 1200 calorie diet before hand and had to meet all the requirements before getting approval. I had a $1000.00 copay up front that was required just before surgery. The diet I was on was just food you would normally eat, nothing special, and I did have to meet with the nutritionist, but usually your PCP can consul you on this also.
    The reason I chose this surgery over the lapband is mainly I felt it wouldn't work for me and the numerous fills. Now with the type of surgery I had, has gotten me off all but three medications. I no longer take any diabetic medications at all and I am down to 10 mg on my blood pressure and cholesterol medications. The only other one I take is to help me sleep at night. Since surgery I have lost close to 30lbs and almost 60 lbs altogether.
    Please see if your PCP can refer you to someone else or attend a seminar where they will explain all surgical options in order to give you more information.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    If finances are the main issue, let your doctor know. I discussed my financial concerns with my doctors office prior to my surgery - They worked out a payment plan wiht me, but if that is the main reason, let the doctor know. They may stop pushing you then.

I will tell you, a year ago, I weighed 400 pounds. I am 125 pounds lighter and off all of my meds for HBP, and am able to run for the first time in years. My kids love the new more active me, and I have more confidence. I tried losing weight "the old fashioned way" for years - I would lose, gain, lose gain, gain, lose, gain, gain... vicious cycle!! I finally decided to have RNY, and never looked back.

Having this surgery is something that has to be comfortable for you to do. Not wanting it and being forced into it is not going to make you happy - it will make you miserable. Explain your concerns to your doctor, financial, fears, everything. If he still doesnt respect your wishes, dump him. There are thousands of doctors out there - he works FOR YOU (You pay him, get it?) and if you dont like his persistence, you can fire him. Its your right!!

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It does sound like the doctor is pushing you a bit and using scare tactics. Sounds more like a used car salesman than a concerned doctor. Research the different types of surgery. Many people have absolutely no complications and others have issues..and yes, people have died. Research your doctor and the hospital for mortality rates. If you aren't comfortable with this particular doctor...find one that will discuss all options with you and not try to sell you the first clunker on the lot.
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    PLEASE do not do it until you are ready. And there are more options than the LapBand.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I used to have a doctor who thought that I wasn't taking the dangers of my comorbidities seriously enough. Like you, I was hypertensive, pre-diabetic and a few other things that were more of annoyances to me at the time.. and I got the scare tactics, too. He never once talked to me about any kind of WLS, though.. and two years later, after I'd had it and was miles healthier,I went back to him and he actually apologized for NOT recommending it to me. For the record, initially, I was planning to get the lap band, too.. but after a TON of research, I decided to have laporoscopic RNY instead. I know how I am and if there is a way around something that keeps me from what I love, I'll find it and use it a LOT.. I thought the permanent option was better for me and I was right.

HOWEVER.. surgery is NOT the answer for everyone. I had to finally come to the realization and admission that I was down to life or death. If I didn't lose a VOLUME of weight, I would be dead within five years. The numbers and projections for doing it "the old fashioned way" weren't promising and I had to be honest with myself. Either I was going to die slowly and painfully over five years.. or I was going to go out fighting to save my own life.

Harsh? maybe.. but that's the conclusion I came to for me.

I would do it again in a minute. I'd have done it ten years earlier if my fear hadn't talked me out of it. I'm nowhere near my goal weight but my life is so much better now. I have control over things I didn't before.. and now I know I have a fighting chance if I do try to keep going "the old fashioned way" because the tool never stops working.

Do more research. There are a TON of really great bariatric surgeons in the Phoenix area. I also recommend a website called obesityhelp.com -- they have search engines that will give you doctors in your area along with real life recommendations and you can see their schooling and everything.

In the end, you have to make this decision yourself or you will never be able to succeed. It's NOT the easy way. It's JUST as hard but in a different way.. and it requires soul searching and honesty about your situation.

Good luck!
    Stefanie
  • Napjeeper
    Napjeeper Posts: 36
    Options
    I think everyone's pretty much covered the bases. You have to be ready before you do this surgery or it won't take and it'll all be for nothing. If your doctor is being pushy about it, tell them to back off and that if you feel it's an option you want to explore, you'll tell them when. If they don't like that, find a new doctor. Remember, they may have the knowledge, but they work for us to help us.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Any Doctor that is pushing an elective procedure, especially on a reluctant patient should be reported to his governing body. The Dr. seems to be more interested in his pocket than your health. Run, and run as fast as you can. There are, as others have suggested, many other options. Do your research. I recommend reading "The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery", by Janeway, Sparks, & Baker. The book is extremely well written, easy to read, there are other books as well, but this one was recommended by my pre-surgery doctor.

Basically, you need to find a multi-disciplinary practice that will offer you options... and extrodinary post surgical support. AFTER you do your homework, then decide what is right for you, and when is right for you! This is ONLY about you, so be stubborn, be strong and if you can't get the answers did your heels in until you do.

God Bless, and much love.
  • jazzie2421
    jazzie2421 Posts: 45
    Options
    Sounds like you need to have a heart to heart with your regular doctor. If you are not ready for this, don't do it. This is a life long decision that you can't back out of. I had RNY done 3/30/05 and I am so glad I did. I have gained back 60lbs thanks to stress eating, but I have the tools available still to use, I just have to use them. This is a decision YOU have to make, FOR YOU. If YOU do not want to do it, then stop going to that doctor. Tell him you have to save up for the copays or something. LOL. I was blessed, my insurance covered it for me.
  • Pancua
    Pancua Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    In the end, no one can make you get on the table. You have to make that choice.

You need to be in a comfortable place, both emotionally and financially and it sounds like you are not for either of these.
  • gothgirlphx
    gothgirlphx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your input. It matters a lot to me. "Pancua" is right- i'm not emotionally or financially ready for something like this. I asked my PCP for a simple diet plan, and his first answer was Medi-fast. That is NOT a diet of food, and is not realistic for me, and does not teach anyone about nutrition or eating healthy. The second time I mentioned it is when he urged me to have the lap band surgery, and referred me to the jerk I mentioned below. (And while my pcp is who pushed me toward the surgery in the first place, he still charges for a letter of recommendation- sorry for the confusion.)

I think it is time for a new PCP, and definitely more options. In the meantime, I joined the YMCA and go nearly everyday. When I started, 10 minutes on the treadmill and I was "dying". Now, I speed walk 3/4 of a mile, and run the last 1/4. Also circuit training 20 minutes each visit. I've lost a total of 12 lbs in a month. May not sound like much, but it's a big deal to me. One of the staff at the gym said, "You actually use your membership. You already beat everyone on the couch."

Thanks again for all your input.

Rishel.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in a month is a fantastic loss. Don't discount it at all. If you also start making small changes in your eating you will continue to see good results.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Hello, my Dr. is pushing for me to have the lap band surgery b/c of HBP, prediabetes and high triglycerides. While I agree losing weight will certainly help lower blood pressure and at least stave off diabetes for a while, the surgery is not a guarantee I'll even lose more weight than I already am.

I'm frightened to death that I won't come out of surgery. My surgeon said he's never lost anyone on the table, but he has had several die shortly thereafter (days to months) mostly from heart failure but also a couple from complications. He is the #1 rated bariatric surgeon in the state and he only does lap bands.

There is another complication. Money. I have met all my deductibles for the year; however BCBS has a "Bariatric Access Fee" of $1000 which I was unaware of. This fee must be paid out-of-pocket and in full before the surgery can be scheduled. They also require a 6-wk diet program through Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig (also out-of-pocket), an appointment with a nutritionist (out-of-pocket), an evaluation from a psychologist (out-of-pocket) and a recommendation from my primary care physician. Also, as anyone who's had this surgery knows, the band will need multiple adjustments throughout the year. These also are not covered by my insurance.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of surgery to begin with, but the surgeon and other staff at his office seem to be trying to frighten me into the surgery. I don't know what to do. I'm looking for any input, positive or negative. Thank you.

I had it with Dr Simpson in 9/20/11 and even tho I am 52 (as of April) and had to go through all the cardiac r/o test, have sleep apnea, severe FMS issues. I came out fine and have lost over 80 lbs since the day of surgery. I don't think Dr Simpson is a "god" or anything but he's good in the state of AZ. The reviews of the others (WLS dr's in Phoenix area covered by our insurance) were scary. IF you don't plan to go to the support groups and such, I don't know if it is worth paying that fee... which for us was 1200 bucks! Alot of talk about cooking meat especially, when we went. WE might try it again next month tho. Nice to have the support. Also, he will want to see you 3 days after surgery, at 14 days (ish) and every month. Pretty much you just weigh in and leave. You can email him questions and he will usually respond right away (just expect short replies because he texts via his blackberry). Do A LOT Of research before you do this tho... read up on the complications, ask questions. Ask people what they can and can not eat.. a lot of people (not me) can't tolerate a lot of foods after the surgery (like chicken can be a problem, red meat, bread, pizza, some veggies with a lot of fiber, eggs can even be a pain for some! but not me!!). Did you go to his sites and listen to his pod casts! Ask a lot of questions and write everything down... http://drsimpson.net/Podcasts/mp3_1/podcast_1.htm